Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Is it good to buy the dot net when the dot com is available ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charley19

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys
I found a domain that I could be interested but I have a question for you guys...
Is it good to buy the dot net even if the dot com is available ?
The dot com is a premium domain and it's for sale at 3,500$ but I dont have that king of money...I could get the dot net for 10$...
Please just LMK
Thanks

axeman

The One and Only
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I recommend you try and negotiate cheaper for the .com first, worth a try at a minimum

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys
I found a domain that I could be interested but I have a question for you guys...
Is it good to buy the dot net even if the dot com is available ?
The dot com is a premium domain and it's for sale at 3,500$ but I dont have that king of money...I could get the dot net for 10$...
Please just LMK
Thanks

What is your actual budget for the domain? If you can afford $1,000 then offer $1,000. You never know what the seller will take.

The .net is a decent equivalent - I would go for .org first, or .ca, since I can see you're Canadian. But if you ever intend on making it big, you need the .com. No questions there.

In addition, you can make it clear to the seller that there's no clear demand for the keywords since the .net and other TLD's are available, which would justify a lower offer.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just because the .com is listed as a premium name does not mean its a premium name.

At 3.5K, many would say that hardly represents a premium.

Its someone who listed it as a premium on GoDaddy's services.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Contact the owner direct.

Or

Consider adding "my , i , e, great" to the .com domain if it does make sense and brandable.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In addition, you can make it clear to the seller that there's no clear demand for the keywords since the .net and other TLD's are available, which would justify a lower offer.

I hate it when someone offering for one of my domains makes such a comment. It's disrespectful, dissing someone's domain, and is bound to get his or her back up. I don't think it's the way to go when trying to negotiate for a domain. Why would you want the domain at all, if 'there's no clear demand for the keywords since the .net and the other TLD's are available?' :(

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think you should explore acquiring the .com. A .net isn't bad but it will lose traffice to the .com.

If you think that this site (company, idea, etc.) will be big you may want to seriously consider acquiring the .com.

However having said that you don't want to overspend to get the name.

Contact the owner of the domain and make a fair offer and see where it goes from there.

Skinny

panago

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There's no question you can do well by developping a .net (especially if it's a keyword domain that gets searched often), but, understand that there will be traffic that will be checking out the .com. If you have any plans on eventually picking up the .com you should do so before developping the .net. Otherwise, be prepared to pay extra for it later on.

dominator

Corporate Design, Naming & Branding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hate it when someone offering for one of my domains makes such a comment. It's disrespectful, dissing someone's domain, and is bound to get his or her back up. I don't think it's the way to go when trying to negotiate for a domain. Why would you want the domain at all, if 'there's no clear demand for the keywords since the .net and the other TLD's are available?'

exactly
i hate that too

this kind of "demand for keywords" is irrelevant anyway

Aristo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
does anyone know instances for dotnet domain selling higher than .com ?

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only possible circumstances that I could think of where this would be the case is...

a) .com has not yet been sold and has been held since its initial registration, while the .net has been sold, thus giving the .net a sale price and the .com no sale price

or

b) the .net was part of a domain hack ending in the word "net" such as "filecabi.net"

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Make an offer you can afford on the .com then try to find a .com you can handreg by adding words on the end or beginning. Buy the .net if you really want but if it's for most businesses you want .com.

Gee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if dot net is not taken , so the .com is not worth more than 500$ IMHO

if you are building a brand , it may worth overpaying to secure the dot com

tt9000

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I personally would not recommend .net</SPAN>

Aristo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if dot net is not taken , so the .com is not worth more than 500$ imho

if you are building a brand , it may worth overpaying to secure the dot com

ditto

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators