Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Is PayPal Safe for $X,XXX Domain Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robmac

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I recently had a paypal changeback on a domain i sold - as paypal dont really cover domains they threw it out. then the buyer done a credit card chargeback and paypal knocked that back as well. The seller ended up with the domain and his money ( the credit card company paid him out ) and I end up with the money he originaly paid :)

best thing is esrow or a physical exchange

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used paypal for a $10k transaction. I however was the buyer, and I am an honest guy.

What confused me is the following. When I first sent the payment my credit card company rejected it. I had to phone up and authorize the transaction.

How do these people pay because they must surely authorize it. You have to do security checks to verify who you are etc.
Its basically phoning up, authorizing it, phoning up, charging it back... that cant happen, it is ridiculous.

MBo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A company partner had many issues with Paypal, even if it was clear that everything was in place correctly. The buyer just has to make the transaction from some internet cafe and later claim his account was used without his knowledge and your funds will be frozen and returned.

It doesn't even matter if you can prove the domain was transfered - Paypal doesn't care and even if they would, the buyer could just call his credit card company or bank and tell them his account has been accessed without his knowledge. That said, Paypal is not as safe as they market it.

muris

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Somewhere around mid XXX paypal becomes risky, IMO;
Escrow.com 50/50 or buyer100 sounds right than;
Moniker's escrow is good too - they take ownership over domain (Escrow.com - doesn't)
but they are more expensive and they didn't have California license before.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Checks arent safe either as they can bounce. The safest way is wire transfer through Escrow.

Based on my recent transaction escrow.com does not reveal the payment method used and seller can not select the method anyway.

poulos

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if using paypal, which Im beginning to dislike,
what if the buyer sends the payment , then you instruct him to open a dispute, then close it, then you push domain,
i think your safe there, But can he later claim with his cc a charge back?

vanadium

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been using Paypal for business transactions for years, and I'd go to escrow for anything over $500. Just my $0.02.

democrat

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I know that Paypal may seem crazy but whenever I deal with high dollar. I was told to mail to the buyers confirmed address and 9/10 they will get my money back to me. Escrow, though is the best idea anytime you deal with things ou are iffy about. I also know that if you get a tracking code with it, that they will fight for you. they often tell gamers to send something because who can argue with a signed signature and tracking number?

Dem

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom