• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Is this a Scam??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techs4Less

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2006
Messages
202
Reaction score
0
I picked up a domain name a couple weeks ago that was an expired domain name. I purchased the domain name via GoDaddy and have since had it parked at Sedo until I do something with it.

So a couple weeks go by and then I receive the following email this morning from a Yahoo email address:

"I just wanted to contact you in regards to the xxxxxxxxx.com domain name. It's seems godaddy has had an issue with it. We owned the domain name before and it was to renew automatic. It did renew it, but then it showed you registered it on xx/xx/xx. It seems godaddy messed up with this.

I don't know if you have plans to use the domain, but just wanted to give you a heads up on it. We own the trademark to the name and that does hold rights to the domain name. My lawyer will be contacting godaddy to fix the issue."

Do this sound legit to anyone? Is there anything I should be doing to protect the name? I performed a search on the US PTO website and could not find a trademark for any combination of the keywords in the domain name. I also found it fishy that the email came from a yahoo email address.

Any thoughts or advice??

Thanks for your time!
T4L
 
The issue is that you're using GoDaddy. They will most likely charge your CC $29 for "administrative costs" if the other party actually raises an ownership issue.
 
Doesn't really matter what they say... YOU own the domain and until it is legally pried from your cold, dead fingers.... IT'S YOURS.

What COULD you do about it now, even if you wanted to?

Maybe make your registration private but beyond that... nothing much.

IF it is a legitimate issue, GoDaddy will be contacting you. Deal with it then. Until then, I wouldn't stress about it.

My gut tells me it's nothing. Just someone you outbid trying to get you to back out of paying or something.

Best of luck!

GoPC
 
Yeah, I say don't worry about it either. The dog that barks the most never bites and the biting dog never barks. What I mean to say is this, threating legal action for anything is a scare tactic. If the lawyer contacts you then think about your position, until then you have done nothing amiss. All is well in domainville. I would send GoDaddy support an email to see if they have been contacted, they can tell you if it's a sham from their end. Otherwise just be sure the domain is locked and don't respond to anything on the domain other than a registered letter.
 
If no email from godaddy, i wouldnt be worried.
 
I received a similar email from a DNF member recently. I told him to F-off. If that's true, it would be the lawyer sending you the email.

I picked up a domain name a couple weeks ago that was an expired domain name. I purchased the domain name via GoDaddy and have since had it parked at Sedo until I do something with it.

So a couple weeks go by and then I receive the following email this morning from a Yahoo email address:

"I just wanted to contact you in regards to the xxxxxxxxx.com domain name. It's seems godaddy has had an issue with it. We owned the domain name before and it was to renew automatic. It did renew it, but then it showed you registered it on xx/xx/xx. It seems godaddy messed up with this.

I don't know if you have plans to use the domain, but just wanted to give you a heads up on it. We own the trademark to the name and that does hold rights to the domain name. My lawyer will be contacting godaddy to fix the issue."

Do this sound legit to anyone? Is there anything I should be doing to protect the name? I performed a search on the US PTO website and could not find a trademark for any combination of the keywords in the domain name. I also found it fishy that the email came from a yahoo email address.

Any thoughts or advice??

Thanks for your time!
T4L
 
I have seen fake emails from lawyers too, I would want a written letter from a lawyer before i get get up from my KING SEAT.
 
The issue is that you're using GoDaddy. They will most likely charge your CC $29 for "administrative costs" if the other party actually raises an ownership issue.
Who would you say is the best registar to avoid this kind of thing? I've heard Godaddy gives up domains pretty easily sometimes and would like to avoid that happening. Moniker?
 
I have seen fake emails from lawyers too, I would want a written letter from a lawyer before i get get up from my KING SEAT.

When I got an email from Sedo legal, I realized it was real. :D

Who would you say is the best registar to avoid this kind of thing? I've heard Godaddy gives up domains pretty easily sometimes and would like to avoid that happening. Moniker?

some puppet registrars created by snapnames, that do not answer email and dont have any phone number you can contact.
 
Even then, i would call to double check and verify that.
 
Who would you say is the best registar to avoid this kind of thing? I've heard Godaddy gives up domains pretty easily sometimes and would like to avoid that happening. Moniker?

rubbish, Godaddy is probably the safest registrar to house a trademarked or stolen domain with
 
rubbish, Godaddy is probably the safest registrar to house a trademarked or stolen domain with

oooooo. I totally disagree with you. I lost a VERY generic name and godaddy had the juevos to charge me $20 for the process.
 
If you have a domain account with another registrar, it may not be a bad idea to transfer it. Quickly.
 
Godaddy is the less safe Registrar when it comes to TM issues.

Plus, it`s totally unfair that they charge the Registrar in advance when any issue starts.
 
techs4less, don't worry about that.

Just answer the email, but be polite and objective.
Don't mention money, but say that you won't give away the domain name like that. Remember him that a process will consume both of you and it does exist methods that you can solve this problem in a quickly, smartest and cheapest way.

I'd do that if this happens to me.
 
why wait for the inevitable, if in fact, they do hold a trademark ?

request an official email or correspondance from their lawyer, a lawyer that you can actually verify exists?

if you dont get the above in short time, then it would be an case of someone trying their best to get it from you.

personally, i'de reply requesting either proof of a trademark or correspondance from a lawyer.

cheers
mike
 
why wait for the inevitable, if in fact, they do hold a trademark ?

request an official email or correspondance from their lawyer, a lawyer that you can actually verify exists?

if you dont get the above in short time, then it would be an case of someone trying their best to get it from you.

personally, i'de reply requesting either proof of a trademark or correspondance from a lawyer.

cheers
mike

If they have a trademark, it will show up on http://uspto.gov

Jason
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom