Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

it's frustrating to deal with Register.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

rentdn

T_T
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello guys , i want to share with my experience with register.com ( sorry for my bad english )

I've tried to request Auth Code online and was forced to wait 4-5 days for "security checks" , after 5 days from request i finally got an email from register.com

" You recently requested an auth code to transfer your "*******.com" domain name.
Your request has been processed and at this time it has been declined due to recent suspicious activity in your account."

and

To receive your auth code, please call one of our customer service consultants at 1.888.734.4783. They will confirm you to the account and then fulfill your request.

So i did , I called and first 3 minutes of my international call I was listening crappy ads " on how lucky am I that today I'm able to buy a .co domain and get another one for half price ". Finally a representative picked up the phone and after verifying my identity my call was forwarding to security department as they were responsible to provide Auth codes ( meanwhile I was on hold for another 3 minutes , musical pause ). I started to talk with another rep and after 5 questions I was successfully verified ( Full name , login , email , phone number , secret question ). I was amazed that once I was verified the rep started to spell me auth code which was containing 18 characters (symbol , letter , number) I've explained that it is much easier just to forward me that information and rep agreed with me , but she told that she need to get approval from supervisor ( this one was funny ) , and yes I was put on hold again for another 4 minutes. Finally i got that AUth code via email and then I hang up the phone the display was showing 14 min 31 sec. WTF ? I paid about 7$ just to get an auth info from Register.com ?

Domain summit 2024

scanreg

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm actually looking for a very secure registrar

Is Register.com really good with security?

Thanks

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

scanreg

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh, man

Who else can I consider?

1. Seems that Fabulous requires you to have a ton of domains just to open an account

2. Moniker seems unreliable or not customer-centric from the various things I've read

3. Enom does not even require email validation for some critical account things (I talked to one of their guys yesterday and was definitely sure I wasn't going with them)

4. Register.com also seems kinda unsure, not hearing many good things

5. I really don't want to use the Domains by Proxy through GoDaddy cuz the legalese says that DBP becomes the official registrant:

"Although DBP will be the Registrant of each domain name registration You designate, You will retain the full benefits of domain name registration..."

nah, no thanks

If Fabulous could handle small accounts, sounds like it would be the place for me

Any other possibilities of registrars that truly take security and reliability seriously?

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can try to contact MikeFabulous here. He got an account opened for me a while ago even though I had few domains there.

I still don't keep many domains at Fabulous (just because I was well established at a couple of other registrars), but Fabulous's customer support has been excellent whenever I've needed it.

scanreg

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks, I'll check with Mike, thanks very much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators