Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Just got an email asking if I was interested in selling a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some background…A few years ago I heard about a new development and because of a discount code, I registered some XXXhomes.ca, XXXcondos.ca domains…XXX being the neighbourhood.

Then last week I was doing some checking and the developer had recently registered the singular version of some of my domains.

Then today, I got an email from the developer asking if I would be interested in selling one of my domains.

Now, before I even think about the price, how do I navigate the waters to see if this guy is just setting me up for a CDRP or worse?

I checked the CIPO database and the only trademark for XXX itself does not relate to real estate, so am I ok here to just respond to “ Yes, I’m willing to sell” or “I might consider selling”

Thanks

Domain summit 2024

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Reply saying
"Hello ???
I purchased the name you are interested in along with others a while back for a future directory development project.
I also purchased at the same time (list the other similar names as you never know...they may see others they like...like you did)
If you would like to make an offer for (the name they enquired about) I will certainly consider it.

Good luck with your domain search.
You

If they persist for a price and you want to give on I always include after giving the pricing
(Offer/pricing is at your request and is at this time only and not a reflection of the availability or future pricing for the names/names involved and may be withdrawn at any time without notice.)

Take this for what it is...my 2cents worth...I'm not a lawyer
Good luck Spex
j

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jaydub

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IANAL but (location)homes / (location)development domains are considered generic and the (location) TM doesn't pertain to real estate, development, or home sales. I think you are pretty safe but Jaydub's suggested response is a very good route to go.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know and I guess I could have written my original post a little differently.

It’s just that this is a potentially $100M+ development deal and it’s been in and out of court quite a few times in the last couple of years, so I wanted to respond to the inquiry in the vaguest and most professional way possible.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What if the developer goes with .com, considering it is a development in Canada, they would have many different options as many of those names are not taken in .com...

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why not just answer with a question: "What are you offering?"

I basically did, but dressed it up a bit as per jaydub's suggestion

What if the developer goes with .com, considering it is a development in Canada, they would have many different options as many of those names are not taken in .com...

The .com/.net of the name he inquired about are developed and in use by American real estate agents for a town of the same name in the States. The .org is still available though, but I don't see them going for the .org for a real estate name especially in Canada. And the exact match .com/.ca domain of the neighbourhood name are developed and in use by some corporations. The exact match .net looks parked and the exact match .org has a placeholder for a future site.

So while I dont' want to sound cocky, I think the .ca is their best option here. Not the only option mind you (they could go for a longer name) but definitely the best

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
word of advice, developers in real estate and construction pay pennies for domains, you'll be lucky if you get $500 for it.

I would have to agree.....seems most don't know what they are missing. I have a domain that was the name of a restaurant i used to own, now someone has created a multi milliondollar shopping and waterfront condo project in Canada with same name. They balked at low xx,xxx for the name, and took the .ca. They have no idea of how much Canadian traffic they are losing from people searchingand typing in .com. Even converting one person to a condo sale would bring them mid xxx,xxx. I would rate them penny wise and pound foolish. ;)

To the OP's question, if the name of the neighborhood is totally unique or a registered trademark you may have to get some legal advice especially if you registered it in bad faith. If it is totally generic (try googling the name with "quotes" around it and see if you get any other cites/ states etc with same name) then you are probably ok.

Regarding the sale, you might try letting a 3rd party negotiate, then you are not putting anything in writing etc as the owner of the domain, and might also give you an arms length from any possible exposure.

Last edited:

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree.....seems most don't know what they are missing. I have a domain that was the name of a restaurant i used to own, now someone has created a multi milliondollar shopping and waterfront condo project in Canada with same name. They balked at low xx,xxx for the name, and took the .ca. They have no idea of how much Canadian traffic they are losing from people searchingand typing in .com. Even converting one person to a condo sale would bring them mid xxx,xxx. I would rate them penny wise and pound foolish. ;)

To the OP's question, if the name of the neighborhood is totally unique or a registered trademark you may have to get some legal advice especially if you registered it in bad faith. If it is totally generic (try googling the name with "quotes" around it and see if you get any other cites/ states etc with same name) then you are probably ok.

Regarding the sale, you might try letting a 3rd party negotiate, then you are not putting anything in writing etc as the owner of the domain, and might also give you an arms length from any possible exposure.

I agree with this. As a realtor, and having dealt with a few developers before, I'd be glad to negotiate on your behalf, especially since I can "catch them with their pants down" on the phone, for lack of a better word - as they will not have time to "formulate" a reaction as they would in an email.

Personally, I think you have nothing to worry about legally. Especially if this domain reflects a pattern of other registrations of yours.

For example, if you had registered Apple.ca out of nowhere back around the landrush days, people might be a little suspect as to why you own it. But if you registered apple.ca, pear.ca, banana.ca, orange.ca, strawberry.ca, and so on, that pattern indicates other intentions than that of what might be construed initially.

I agree with curecancer that they're not likely to buy it for a great deal of money. But depending on the name, this could be an exception.

But if you end up writing the response yourself, keep one purpose in mind; answer the question.

This is where I see numerous sales pitches of sorts fail. They don't answer questions properly. I don't shirk questions, I don't generally answer questions with questions, and I don't try and dance around the real answer that they're looking for.

What they ultimately want is a number. Don't let greed get the better of you and make you hesitant to quote $1,500 in hopes you might get $5,000.

If I were you, I'd drive them crazy a little bit. Wait a few days to reply. Make them wonder "why hasn't he gotten back to me?"

You clearly hold the cards here. And it's your opportunity to be in the driver's seat. ESPECIALLY because they registered the singluar versions. They created the demand themselves, and showed their hand. You are definitely in the powerful position here. But as is the case with any advantage, you run the risk of blowing it if not played properly.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
from my experience too, real estate people seldom want to pay more than $500 for a domain, even if it is their main "cityrealestate.ca" domain. hard to believe but eventually I think this will change. Surprising they don't see the value in it for type in searches and better looking returns in search engine enquiries. Many seem to use their own name as a domain, which I think is stupid, because 1) the domain isn't intuitive about what people are searching for, and 2) most people won't remember one name in a list of dozens of realtors. But people will recognize and remember cityrealestate.com/ca or cityhomes.com/ca

Like someone else said, this could be an exception if it's a high value project and they already own the singular domains.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
from my experience too, real estate people seldom want to pay more than $500 for a domain, even if it is their main "cityrealestate.ca" domain. hard to believe......

Right, imo, Realtor's are probably the cheapest professionals. That one reason I am dropping so many low performing real estate domains I have owned for as long as 10-years. No matter how good the name or wealthy they are or high priced the MLS area they rarely will pay more than $xxx in my experience. What makes that so odd is how easy it is for a Realtor to earn $x,xxx or $xx,xxx at 3% to 6% commission on just one transaction, often with little if any real work invloved. However, a good domain with a little traffic can easily bring them incredible returns on their investment over the years.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had an inquiry about a XXXcondos.com a few months ago and had a pretty eye-opening discussion with an American real estate agent.

I provided some comparables and set a price. This is a fairly small town so I knew my comparables didn’t compare, but my asking price of only $2k took that into consideration, knowing full well I’d accept anything between $1k and $1.5k

He came back with a $50 offer saying it was a 500% return on my investment. I declined and made a counter-offer.

He rejected it and said he just registered condosinXXX.com and would be using that instead.

I wished him luck, but didn’t point out the fact that if not read properly, condosinXXX could have a whole other meaning

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LOL @50 ... 500 % Investment

LMAO....Good you declined his offer.

Ricks

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with what others have said about realtor market not paying well. I've been contacting realtors in a community of 12,000 with a great geo-keyword and the response I've had has been poor....even for low $xxx the response was "too pricy".

You would think that in that industry, with leads potentially so valuable they would get it...but many don't.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I've narrowed down what the reasoning is, to be honest with you.

Many realtors like the idea of working with people that they "know". This gives them the superior feeling of being able to say "I work by referral only". It sounds very strange, but this mentality exists, to the demise of many realtors' potential success.

Those who advertise spend more on one month's worth of exposure than they might on a good, or even half decent domain name.

What they don't realize, is that by investing in a domain, not only does it lower their need to advertise (as they will get more business from internet leads, if their site on the domain is SEO-ed properly), but it will improve the efficiency of their advertising as they're doing it now.

If I see an ad for Joe Blow realtor, I'm not necessarily going to remember the name "Joe Blow". If Joe Blow sells houses in Edmonton, my interest in such is what will incline me to respond to his ad. Thus, a keyword string such as edmontonhomes or edmontonrealty will stick much better than a name which is COMPLETELY new to me.

For those who think this theory doesn't work, consider 1-800-CONTACTS or 1-800-FLOWERS. Sure, they could easily have a non-vanity phone number. But let's explore the following two examples:

Ad example #1:

Best prices on contact lenses. Beat any price by 10%. Free shipping on orders over $xx. 1-8XX-569-3310

Ad example #2:

Best prices on contact lenses. Beat any price by 10%. Free shipping on orders over $xx. 1-800-CONTACTS

These advertisers are spending the same money, relaying the same message, selling the same product, of the same quality.

However, who do you think is going to get more calls? I think the answer is very clear.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most don't realize that many of the names we own are purchased...not registered.
He came back with a $50 offer saying it was a 500% return on my investment. I declined and made a counter-offer.

Yup ...:eek:k:
Those who advertise spend more on one month's worth of exposure than they might on a good, or even half decent domain name.

M.U.

CEO of Thinkk
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what happened :) I hope you got a sale.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I emailed him saying I'd be willing to sell...waiting for his reply

I don't see this being a quick process

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators