Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Kids.Us Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Coming September 8, 2003: The kids.us Directory!
Get ready to "play, learn, and surf" the easy way. The kids.us directory page will be activated on Monday, September 8, 2003!

Those that build will reap the benefits...

This will be a high profile directory where you wont have to compete against 2 million other sites just to rank ion thew first page !

http://www.kids.us/

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
Why is this good? Aren't these just subdomains?

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by tigga
Why is this good? Aren't these just subdomains?

For traffic Tigga , the Holy grail of the internet.. it's all about traffic.. the extension dosent matter, whether or not it is a sub-domain ..does not matter if you are listed high in a good search engine or directory..

If this directory gets the advertising we think it is going to get and you have a site listed..then you will get the traffic and traffic = $

TrafficMonsterRRR

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
About the kids.us directory..
All i see is one site

Smithsonian.kids.us

I wonder if this is this a good thing or a bad thing for the rest of us.
Does it mean no one else has activated site yet(or there is no interest to), or that whoever DOES activate will be one of the lucky FEW to get sh**t- errr.... kid-loads of traffic?

ANy thoughts or insight??

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
but this extension is for kids, so the bulk of the traffic is going to be kids with no credit card. A few parents might check it out but you will have a serious bandwidth bill.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by 207
but this extension is for kids, so the bulk of the traffic is going to be kids with no credit card. A few parents might check it out but you will have a serious bandwidth bill.

The answer: www.sponsor.kids.us :-D

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah, I went there and guess what the answer was. Page can't be displayed.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah I read that and responded.

TrafficMonsterRRR

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod

You can learn more about "Sponsor.kids.us" on this page for the time being:

[color=000000]Sponsor Kids Only Content Today![/color]

I am unable to see the site but I think the idea is excellent.

Please keep me posted also. I am still surprised there is virtuallt no directory.

Has anyone gone through the approval of their kids.us sites yet?

USARN.com

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner

.. the extension dosent matter, whether or not it is a sub-domain ..does not matter

I disagree, This is very contrary to what we are even doing here. If none of the above mattered, then what are we doing trying to sell names? Why have people paid big bucks for .com names and even other good names with questionable extensions? When they could easily buy a complete junk name for 8 bucks and just put the money they saved into search engine placement.

because they are easy to remember and easy to tell someone to go there. Word of mouth is and always has been the best form of advertising, with any business. Is anyone really going to remember a name or tell someone to check out a name like www.jiklopmkiokmk97676yjik.kids.us?

geoffrey

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have several points to cover.

1- The kids.us TLD launched this past week, the directory launched a few days ago. Do you honestly think a site would be ready for listing.

2- .com was similar to the Gold Rush. "Be First, Be Best" It was easy during the dot com boom. You didn't have to be intelligent to make money. Most were at the right place at the right time.

Similar to Wall Street's tech boom. All taxi drivers and shoe shine kids were explaining how they made money. Those conversations are non-existent these days. Again, it was timing. You had to be there. You've seen the slope in the last 36 months.
When was the last time you read your Fidelity statement. You need to really understand the fundamentals these days in order be at par with the big boys.

3- kids.us - this TLD caters to non-credit card holders I agree. NEXT LEVEL CONCEPTS and developments are imperative to its growth mode. You must confine to social expectatons while constructively build a niche. I could really see eye-2-eye with Zouzas's newly formed infrastructure of the .us I'm trying the same, but with the 13 million strong Hispanic Market in the .us

An example of planning vs flipping is the foreseen site by Izopod.
Sponsorships for kids is a HUGE industry. I mean huge. Non-taxable advertising. HUGE.

The verbiage (lack of rational) utilized in this forum makes me wonder if this DN Forum is worth the visit. Of course, I'll continue to visit DN Forum, but I'm expressing myself this for lack of a better term.

kids.us will do well. The TLD has monetary barriers to entry.

Geoffrey Gonzalez

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I must say Geoffrey's comments make a lot of sense to me. This TLD is a unique opportunity to get in on the ground floor.

I have one kids.us domain Canada.kids.us. Yes it is pricy close to $400 a year between registration and content review fees, all for a site where the audience does not have credit cards.

But I believe that there is huge potential here for a site about Canada for US kids. Just wait.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Cheats.kids.us is avail.

I was temted to reg it and turn it into a cheat site.

But hte price is steap and i dont like video games :-D

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
I think that the only thing that will make this work is if it is REALLY marketed - something which none of you have control over (unless you are going to spend $ promoting everyone).

geoffrey

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tigga,

You have it all wrong right now.

Right now, if you are one of the first siteS to go live, you will immediately be in everybody's radar / LINK to. You will be viewed and by millions.

So a $100 registration and $250 review fee. Is about a cost $1.00 cost per day for the next full year. Those $350 are worth 1,000 times in advertising dollars.

hhunterjr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am all for kids.us and I believe that it will work, but was is taking so long to get more sites up in the directory??

Anyone know the answer to this?

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by hhunterjr
I am all for kids.us and I believe that it will work, but was is taking so long to get more sites up in the directory??

Anyone know the answer to this?

My guess is the ".kids.us" directory won't fill up until they have a "Content Manager" in place, which I think they were going to "outsource".

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see three gaping problems with .kids.us:

1. Too pricey. Initial price and renewal price are exhorbitant. Not that this should concern people who have money to buy the domains, but that the kids.us directory will be very shallow since most business owners will not see the value and "buy-in". If Yahoo! had started their directory charging $299 a listing, it would have never succeeded -- they waited until the directory and traffice warranted such a charge.

2. Even if the directory is great, there is still the inherent problem of ensuring that kids do not "drift" off the network to bad sites. As a former I.T. Director for an Internet filtering company, I know that just HAVING a list of good sites does not ensure that people will confine themselves to those sites. You need supplementary controls (parental control software, proxy or packet-filter hardware) to enforce these goals. And such controls do not need consistent domain names to function.

3. It expects every kid-friendly company to re-brand in order for the site to be accessible other than through a directory link. Will Disney change their brand to .kids.us? If not, they cannot be sure that an ISP or parental control locking children into these domains won't block the child's attempt to access their site.

In short, I agree that kids.us is a flop. It is much easier to address kid friendly portals / browsing using compiled lists than expecting people to rebrand their site and pay huge fees for listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom