Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Kids.Us Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FLe8
I see three gaping problems with .kids.us:

1. Too pricey. Initial price and renewal price are exhorbitant. Not that this should concern people who have money to buy the domains, but that the kids.us directory will be very shallow since most business owners will not see the value and "buy-in". If Yahoo! had started their directory charging $299 a listing, it would have never succeeded -- they waited until the directory and traffice warranted such a charge.

2. Even if the directory is great, there is still the inherent problem of ensuring that kids do not "drift" off the network to bad sites. As a former I.T. Director for an Internet filtering company, I know that just HAVING a list of good sites does not ensure that people will confine themselves to those sites. You need supplementary controls (parental control software, proxy or packet-filter hardware) to enforce these goals. And such controls do not need consistent domain names to function.

3. It expects every kid-friendly company to re-brand in order for the site to be accessible other than through a directory link. Will Disney change their brand to .kids.us? If not, they cannot be sure that an ISP or parental control locking children into these domains won't block the child's attempt to access their site.

In short, I agree that kids.us is a flop. It is much easier to address kid friendly portals / browsing using compiled lists than expecting people to rebrand their site and pay huge fees for listing.

1. Just the right price..ensures that only those serious about developing for the space will participate.

2. Kids will "drift off" ..of course they will they will just as they also will drift in..by the millions.

3. No one expects every kid-friendly company to re-brand... only those that want to actually have access to this market at considerably less expense than paying PPC, google adwords etc...Disney needs not change any brand.. Kids.Us will simply be another channel for them..

In short, to say Kids.us is a flop after just a few weeks open is extremely shortsighted.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
In short, to say Kids.us is a flop after just a few weeks open is extremely shortsighted.

I agree. New namespace takes time to mature - under big trees do acorns grow.

I acquired most of my .BIZ and .INFO names 2 years ago when the bell rang to fulfill a vision I had, and to date, things just keep looking better and better for these extensions, especially the versatility of .BIZ. All my key .BIZ/.INFO names are registered till 2012.

I have never looked back. Just like some people never look forward.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi ,,,the reason that theres not many sites in the directory for myself i couldn;t begin to build a site until i knew what names i was going to get to match the names with the content and even TM holders are waiting to compare content,,,,my reply from neustar was that they have "many" apps in for review ,,,my homebase is being reviewd now info.kids.us:cheeky: once this directory begins to fill and it will for one simple reason its a PRIVATE directory imagine an EXTENSION with its own directory NO OTHER extension has this and for this reason alone what company would not want to be there.

once the directory begins to fill you will see the sates linking to the directory from their states homepage and this will be the start of the traffic flow:cheeky:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Yes, of course it is. It's like someone looking at Michael Jordan when he was an infant and saying, "well, that guy is a flop as a basketball player". I have been around long enough to see new mediums become absolute giants - FM Radio, UHF TV, Cable TV etc. All took many years to enter mainstream consiousness and enjoy huge success. Why would new internet extensions be any different?

IMHO the people who are saying new extensions are flops are young people who have no historical frame of reference nor understanding of the time it takes for new products and services to reach critical mass.

Of course it is certainly possible that any of the new extensions will flop - but it is WAY too early to make that judgment now. I was just reading a column from MediaPost this morning that is very relevant to this point. They were talking about how some people are dismissing the ENTIRE internet (let alone extensions) since the bubble burst. They compared that school of thought to how cable TV was once viewed. Here is a quote:

"Many people who invested in cable television in the 1960's sold out their investments at big losses in the 1970's because cable "wasn't going anywhere". It may be that today the traditional wisdom is also wrong; the Internet isn't over; rather, it's just barely getting started, where cable was in the late 70's and early 80's, when Ted Turner had only the gleam in his eyes but no cable networks."

Now Cable TV has a bigger share of the audience than all of the traditional networks combined. You know the old saying, "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it." I wouldn't be giving up on new extensions just yet (especially since my investments in them have been profitable, even WITHOUT the public on board yet. I can only imagine what it will be like when they discover the newly available options as well).

geoffrey

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Many weren't sure of .info and .biz in the early weeks of it's roll out. Keep in mind that most speculators had pre-registrations, (fake trademarks) based on the inflated levels ($) of dotcoms.

As a result of premuim domains (.com) primarily held by U.S. residents, Europe had no choice but to build a MESH around .info That's great.

Kids.us value has a correlation with your internet maturity and where your focus is. If you cater to the masses, then that is fine also.

Kids.us will foster a new approach to the internet. Kids.us will be successful due to one main reason "sponsorship" Sponsorships are loyal dollars / long-term dollars and BIG dollars.

If you get one credible backing to support your project, it can easily be a 36 to 60 commitment.

You decide whether you want to be a little fish in the ocean or a BIG in the pond.

Aside from .info's development in europe, the NEW WAVE is Latin America. Over 19 countries with one common alphabet.

This reminds me of Toll Free numbers 1-800-Collect, 1-800-Flowers. These vanity numbers are worth big dollars. Most owners of 1-800 will always tell that 1-800 is king. Doesn't that sound like most people with .com inventories?

1800 1888 1877 1866
.com .net .org .???

Geoffrey Gonzalez

NEW WAVE

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First member to get a live site into the www.kids.us directory besides me post it here and ill pay your first year 250 right into your paypal account so get developing:cheeky:

site must be listed in the directory to win.:cheeky:

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by zouzas
First member to get a live site into the www.kids.us directory besides me post it here and ill pay your first year 250 right into your paypal account so get developing:cheeky:

Wow that is a great gesture! Zouzas is back!

:-D

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Did anyone catch Bush's speech at the UN today? I did. In the final 5 minutes he spoke about "children" being sold around the world in the "underground" sex slave trade business. Given the other grave things happening in the world today, I thought it was peculiar he would spend so much time on this subject. I think it shows that Bush is committed to protecting those who can't protect themselves. I'd be really surpised if he doesn't use ".kids.us" as a tool to do exactly that: "protect children"

note: Although he didn't mention, ".kids.us" persay, he did mention the bill he signed this past year which authorized creation of this subdomain.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
type in kids in www.google.US and see how many times it comes up close to 53 million now how is anyone going to find out anything there ,,you can be there or in www.kids.us your own private directory where only kids.us sites are allowed to list is there any decsion where to be?

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod

note: Although he didn't mention, ".kids.us" persay, he did mention the bill he signed this past year which authorized creation of this subdomain. [/B]

nice :cheeky: politicians love to discuss the laws they passed and im sure this wont be the last time its memtioned by him particulary in an election year:cheeky:

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Tremendous offer Zouzas.. !

Nice to have you have you back...

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Tremendous offer Zouzas.. !

Nice to have you have you back...

thanks bid , im trying to get a site reviewed now to go live and its taking forever,either there very part time or its so new they don;t even know how to work it yet,,neustar better get on the ball if they are going to fill that directory up..........

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

thanks bid , im trying to get a site reviewed now to go live and its taking forever,either there very part time or its so new they don;t even know how to work it yet,,neustar better get on the ball if they are going to fill that directory up..........

When did you start the process ? how many steps ?

I just sent an email this afternoon to neustar asking what the hold up was with getting sites listed, i'll post if I hear anything.

I know people are working on sites so I know it isnt out of lack of interest , I agree Neustar needs to get on the ball on this..and start letting sites in.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

When did you start the process ? how many steps ?

I just sent an email this afternoon to neustar asking what the hold up was with getting sites listed, i'll post if I hear anything.

I know people are working on sites so I know it isnt out of lack of interest , I agree Neustar needs to get on the ball on this..and start letting sites in.

well i ordered a content review thru the site a few days ago sent about 7 emails and finally called and left 4 messages finally got a call back an hour ago ,i asked how they plan on reviewing the site the person had no clue simply wait till i get a email from the content manager with instructions,,,i told kiki @571-434-5728 whats the hold up ,,he really had no answers i got the feeling they dont have a content manager in place yet ,he could nt provide me with any names,,its going to have to run a lot smoother then that if there is going to be any type of mass production,,,,i would say livin all names like .dot us and then review when sites go up they can always shut them down and have a violation contact on any site that goes live where any person could report kinda of like a self reporting system as well,but something needs to be done??????///

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

well i ordered a content review thru the site a few days ago sent about 7 emails and finally called and left 4 messages finally got a call back an hour ago ,i asked how they plan on reviewing the site the person had no clue simply wait till i get a email from the content manager with instructions,,,i told kiki @571-434-5728 whats the hold up ,,he really had no answers i got the feeling they dont have a content manager in place yet ,he could nt provide me with any names,,its going to have to run a lot smoother then that if there is going to be any type of mass production,,,,i would say livin all names like .dot us and then review when sites go up they can always shut them down and have a violation contact on any site that goes live where any person could report kinda of like a self reporting system as well,but something needs to be done??????///

Probably right.. no content manager. you should apply !

They need to get their heads out of their rear on this.. maybe time for an article , maybe time to contact all in congress that voted on this etc.. a few more days then time to light a match I guess...

Really frustrating that they have all this time and cant get it right

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Probably right.. no content manager. you should apply !

They need to get their heads out of their rear on this.. maybe time for an article , maybe time to contact all in congress that voted on this etc.. a few more days then time to light a match I guess...

Really frustrating that they have all this time and cant get it right

Great idea !! how about a article Get www.dnjournal.US on it.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom