Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

korean defaulted on agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd rather not say at this point. I don't think the registrar's location has much bearing on my legal strategy right now. That could change, heaven knows there have been alot of surprises already in this deal, but my lawyer is reviewing the matter; he feels I have a strong case.

Domain Summit 2024

Yoshiki

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
I'd rather not say at this point. I don't think the registrar's location has much bearing on my legal strategy right now. That could change, heaven knows there have been alot of surprises already in this deal, but my lawyer is reviewing the matter; he feels I have a strong case.

Hi DH,

Well, good luck. I just hope that you will not end up paying more to your lawyer instead of adding just few bucks to the defaulter.

Yoshiki

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
I'd rather pay my lawyer. I TRUST my lawyer.

Well, one small advice. You better use Sedo instead of Escrow.com the next time because..Sedo could have blocked the transfer of the domain to another registrar.

Kazam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They love to bargain offer him $900 or tell him to buger off. He'll sell I've done some deals with koreans before.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gsk008 said:
They love to bargain offer him $900 or tell him to buger off. He'll sell I've done some deals with koreans before.
I assume your referrals to "koreans" and "they" here are NOT CATEGORICAL. The word "korean" in the thread title has not been edited out because it is contextually useful in discussing legal issues with regard to JURISDICTION.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gsk008 wrote:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yes, I would like to negotiate some more.

Filing a lawsuit is a form of negotiation, isn't it?

;)

Yoshiki

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gsk008 said:
They love to bargain.

Well, a contract means just a paper here. In a developing country as Korea, squeezing some bucks out of a seemingly rich American or Japanese
is a way to get even with the big brothers. :)

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I assume your referrals to "koreans" and "they" here are NOT CATEGORICAL.

As pointed out in the last couple of posts, it can be useful to get a grip on cultural norms and influences on approaches to business. While there is a fine line between appreciating different cultural perspectives on the one hand, and engaging in stereotypes on the other hand, there is value in understanding that people from different cultures do not always see things the same way.

These types of "categorical, but not always individually applicable" understandings can sometimes provide insight into problems that develop in doing business across cultural borders.

On the subject of bargaining behavior alone, the marketplace assumptions and behavior of, say, an American suburbanite, who is used to going to the store, reading the price tag, and paying that price, can be wildly different from people who have not grown up in that bubble.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yoshiki wrote:

Well, a contract means just a paper here. In a developing country as Korea, squeezing some bucks out of a seemingly rich American or Japanese
is a way to get even with the big brothers.
++++++++++++++++++++

Well, let the squeezing begin.

Venue will probably be here in the US.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Haggling in the bazaars of Anatolia is something that can be equally enjoyable when done in an online transaction such as this :-D

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Clearly he has seen Hal's avatar waving the cash and feel's he can get some out of his hand. He is probably just trying to get more $ and clearly going about it the wrong way.

-=DCG=-

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
Clearly he has seen Hal's avatar waving the cash and feel's he can get some out of his hand. He is probably just trying to get more $ and clearly going about it the wrong way.

-=DCG=-

In that case, I believe I found a safe image for Hal's new avatar :-D

Yoshiki

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
He is probably just trying to get more $ and clearly going about it the wrong way.

Well, too much greed can be self-defeating as in another Korean-style doggery, NHN.com case.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod wrote:

++++++++++++++++++

No doubt.

He has tried blatantly to get me to pay more money, which I will definitely be doing.

..to my lawyer.

;)

Yoshiki

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yoshiki said:
Well, too much greed can be self-defeating as in another Korean-style doggery, NHN.com case.

On the other hand, sometimes you can do a good business with them without a contract if you know their friends in person. I bought a domain from a Korean 3 weeks ago and the domain had been transferred to me before I wired money to the seller.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I file a lawsuit here in Rhode Island...

Does it make a difference where the registrar is located for the purposes of freezing the domain name? Let's say the registrar is located overseas, perhaps, Canada, Europe, or Korea?

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess there could also be an issue of jurisdiction and specific performance.

Would a possible court order from a Rhode Island court, ordering that I be given title, necessarily compell a foreign registrar? Or, can that registrar be bypassed, by going directly to NSI with the court order, as the central registry, to transfer the name?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am not a lawyer and as such I don't qualify for expert advise. But if that's what you need to do in order to get the name, remember that the biggest problem can be the language barrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom