• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Looking for advice, musician wants his domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainsInc

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
1,858
Reaction score
78
I've owned the domain name of a singer for a popular band since 2000. His people have never contacted me about the domain until this week. They have offered to give me some signed cds in exchange for the domain which doesn't interest me. I'd like to get some money out of it if possible. What do you think would be the best course of action? Just ask for a couple grand for it? I appreciate your input. Thanks.
 
Be careful, you might want to get legal advice before asking for monetary compensation.
 
if's its a generic domain and they have lots of money..take them to the cleaners and demand ALOT of money...it will be free for them really as it's deducted as a business expense/marketing from their budget...if they are small then go easy on them if you really don't mind selling...but definitely don't give it away...care to share what it is?
 
Be careful, you might want to get legal advice before asking for monetary compensation.

this is true.

and don't forget you have the option of leasing/renting it to them.
 
They have sold millions upon millions. Had number one hits, etc. Though they aren't so big now. Its not so much a generic name but I am sure there are others out there with the same name. Also its been a fan site for the guy. They have a ton of money though so it would suck to have to give it up for some lousy cds.
 
You mean... musician wants YOUR domain name?
 
You mean... musician wants YOUR domain name?

Yes, that is what I should of made the title but only said "his" domain name to imply that the domain consists of his first and last name.
 
So if you don't mind sharing, what is this artist group name?.
 
Yes, that is what I should of made the title but only said "his" domain name to imply that the domain consists of his first and last name.

What would you do if you were famous and someone made money off of your name?
 
this is true.

and don't forget you have the option of leasing/renting it to them.

rent or lease it to them, ARE YOU kidding me?
 
What would you do if you were famous and someone made money off of your name?

I've never attempted to make money with the site but the guy is multi millionaire. If I was that rich i wouldn't care about shelling out some decent money for it.

As much as I'd like to post the domain, I think I'm going to hold off on that for now.
 
Well I've been doing some research and according to this site howmanyofme.com there are 8 other people in the US with the same name as this guy. Which probably means there are a good number worldwide with the same name possibly. I don't know, maybe i should consult with a domain lawyer but I don't want to spend a bunch of money just to lose the domain.
 
Are you making money from the domain right now? If so, you can sort of determine what it is worth to you from an earnings standpoint... Then determine what you think the name is worth based on commercial appeal... Then decide if you are ready for a lawsuit and try to figure out if you really think they have a case and how much that would cost you...

Then you should be able to come up with a number that will keep them happy and will avoid a lawsuit; and that will make you happy... Maybe not retirement money but the domain will go to a deserving owner and you will be able to take some cash to the bank.

I would also take the autographed cd's and I would even ask for an autographed guitar, but that is just me... :cool:

Good Luck~
 
I'd demand he come to my home town and give a concert at my party :)

LOL

But with all seriousness, its best to spend $400 or so on a one hour lawyer visit and get a strategy put together that has some legal ground.
 
Are you making money from the domain right now? If so, you can sort of determine what it is worth to you from an earnings standpoint... Then determine what you think the name is worth based on commercial appeal... Then decide if you are ready for a lawsuit and try to figure out if you really think they have a case and how much that would cost you...

Then you should be able to come up with a number that will keep them happy and will avoid a lawsuit; and that will make you happy... Maybe not retirement money but the domain will go to a deserving owner and you will be able to take some cash to the bank.

I would also take the autographed cd's and I would even ask for an autographed guitar, but that is just me... :cool:

Good Luck~
I've never attempted to make money from the site. I had a link up to a dating site briefly but thats about it. The main reason i don't want to just give it up is because over the years I've had I've gotten well over 500 backlinks and its ranked number one on google. Not to mention all the years of renewals. I'm not sure if i screwed myself by making it a fan site for him but when i did that i wasn't thinking much about anything other than getting traffic.

I'd demand he come to my home town and give a concert at my party :)

LOL

But with all seriousness, its best to spend $400 or so on a one hour lawyer visit and get a strategy put together that has some legal ground.

Haha, yeah you make a good point. I might as well see what a lawyer would have to say. Any recommendations?

I had another domain that was another musicians name and his lawyer said i could hang out with him backstage at a concert but it just doesn't interest me because while i like his music and everything i just wouldn't feel comfortable pretending like this guy gives a shit and actually has any interest talking to me.
 
It's ok, you can admit owning MichaelJackson.com :D
 
if's its a generic domain and they have lots of money..take them to the cleaners and demand ALOT of money...it will be free for them really as it's deducted as a business expense/marketing from their budget...if they are small then go easy on them if you really don't mind selling...but definitely don't give it away...care to share what it is?

Focus likes to take everyone to the cleaners :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom