Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Lowdown straight talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Exclusive friends,

So I've been an exclusive member of this forum since 2007 although I've never used it. Today I woke up and decided perhaps that should change. My main motivation being sell a domain here and there. One of my new years resolutions was to sell more domains in a year than previously.

I've also been domaining since 2007, I don't have another job, this is it, and have probably met most of you at DomainFest and other trade shows before. I post in all the blogs as "jp" and I'm going to work on getting my username changed so I'm not anonymous with this userid I picked long ago.

First, don't get me wrong, I have no intention of dogging this forum, it is a clearly a service to the industry. It has a massive amount of posts and a huge user base. Thank you Adam for all your hard work here.

My question is however, in reality, is this forum effective for selling domains? And I'm not a fool, I realize this isn't a retail venue.

This morning I picked up my iPhone, and started using the DNForum app which I installed long ago as well. I started rifling through pages of "for sale" threads and couldn't really find anything that seems to have sold. Granted I only spent about an hour on this task and there are probably 100s of thousands of for sale threads in existence and I only saw a fraction of that, and only the more recent threads. Unfortunately there is no way to search for sale threads and specifically for threads that ended in a sale.

I also realize, and I don't mean to be rude here because everybody's eyes and tastes are different, that most of the stuff that I saw was lets call it, uninteresting, IMHO, or if it wasn't uninteresting then it wasn't priced properly for a venue like this (IMHO again).

Again this was all from a 1 hour glance, but I would say that it reminds of me ebay as far as selling domains goes. That was just my perception, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Because my plate is sort of full at the moment and I don't have hours on end to spend reading every post here, anyone that wants me to point me in the right direction here with where to best focus my time here would be appreciated. I look forward to being an active and contributing member of this community.

Domain Summit 2024

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I buy on this forum - so I am guessing that some will say it is effective for selling.

jp

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok very good point. So better way to phrase my question to all:

If you are somewhat of a regular buyer here, which forums do you regularly monitor/subscribe to for acquisitions and which ones seem to be the most useful to you.

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have bought many names. I agree that the quality isn't always great or the prices are too high for this type of a "reseller" venue, but there are a few reasonable sellers and every once in a while I will find a decent name at a wholesale price and make a deal. I usually stick to the fixed price areas, because then I know if the sellers price expectation is reasonable and I don't waste my time.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok very good point. So better way to phrase my question to all:

If you are somewhat of a regular buyer here, which forums do you regularly monitor/subscribe to for acquisitions and which ones seem to be the most useful to you.

if you are looking to purchase domains, then perhaps start a thread in Domains Wanted section.

there you can post the subject of interest, examples of your request and budget

if you want to sell, then you can also browse that section to see if anything in your portfolio, fits the criteria of potential buyers.

if you only want 4 char/letter, we have section for that as well as one for "Domains with Traffic".

it depends on what you seek and expect, good deals go real fast, but deals that are too good...watch out for!

if you are looking to flip, then it means your budget is lower

which means selection is limited

if you're investing for future, you may have more to spend

which means more to choose from.

where do you fit :)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I started rifling through pages of "for sale" threads and couldn't really find anything that seems to have sold.

I also realize, and I don't mean to be rude here because everybody's eyes and tastes are different, that most of the stuff that I saw was lets call it, uninteresting, IMHO, or if it wasn't uninteresting then it wasn't priced properly for a venue like this (IMHO again).
It's true, the forum reflects the 'market' as a whole. The vast majority of registered domains are worth zero. Straight talking here :) People have hopes but reality is what it is.
But not all sales are visible, deals are taking place through PM also.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I buy domains on DNForum all the time. It's a matter of price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom