Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Lumps of gold as big as bowling balls, just lying around...

Status
Not open for further replies.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess they accept everything.
I have Arabic names parked there. A few hits per day but very few clicks if any. Let's hope the situation improves in 2006.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:
Or better still, invest in english dictionary domains and avoid hours of research.

Sure I can reg terms like "undulated" and "dubiously" or I can get "Newspaper" or "jobs" in chinese and japanese. Which ones have the potential for a bigger future?

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How do you even type a japanese or chinese character
with your keyboard?? I've gone as far as the IDN domain
page but can't even search a word, because I can't type
it. Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you start with translation engines, you check them with SE/overture scores and as many external sources as you can, checking it with peers is an option of course but that's after the fact.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hugegrowth said:

Reread my first post - it's ALL there!

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hugegrowth said:

Easiest- You can use free translators on the internet, but check twice and then best of all check with native speaker. Then you can "cut and paste" the foreign script and check availability with the registrar. Lots of IDNers are using domainsite.com.

BEWARE- there are all kinds of nuances with foreign language registration. Its pretty easy once you know the rules. It varies from no accents allowed, to only entering ALL lower case etc. Most that have gotten in have made these mistakes, and often they will reg you right or wrong. If you have a language in mind you want to start in pm me and I will help with the resources and basics, or put you over to one of the old pros who will be glad to help. The IDN community is generous to share knowledge for the most part. It's addicting once you get in...likened to a treasure hunt! Good luck.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just to show how wide open this new frontier still is, I picked up 72 .com periodic table elements in Russian about 5 minutes ago, including hydrogen, aluminium, lead and many other commercially significant ones.

To find these, I applied a bit of lateral thinking:-
1. Look up "periodic table" in Russian
2. Look through the first few pages of Google results returned by searching on it
3. Cut and paste the table of elements, clean it up (remove abbreviations, make everything lowercase with excel's lower() function)
4. Run the resulting list through Whois

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Funny, I am letting several .org (non IDN) element domains drop.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:
Funny, I am letting several .org (non IDN) element domains drop.

Many idn.com are better than most non-idn.org of the same OVT (worldwide). An idn .com is a .com when a person uses IE7.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
If you think that Russians will be typing in "aluminium" in russian with a ".com" at the end, that's a novel approach. Maybe, after consuming a bit of vodka they will type in the ".ru" equivalent.

My point was that the category chosen for this example - elements - is rather poor to justify the registration of such (worthless) IDN names.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:
If you think that Russians will be typing in "aluminium" in russian with a ".com" at the end, that's a novel approach. Maybe, after consuming a bit of vodka they will type in the ".ru" equivalent.

My point was that the category chosen for this example - elements - is rather poor to justify the registration of such (worthless) IDN names.

I have to agree
i would see some value in IDN-s in country tld-s, but .com , .net?? That will not happen. The only people who type in .com are in US.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:

They already are. I get consistent traffic on many russian idns. There is nothing to argue here except it does already happen.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Who is going to search by adding .com or .net or .ru??

I am going to search with just key words such as "Cheap Hotels" or "Cruise Discounts" or "Gold Jewelry", (not cheaphotels.com) its just like English internet....only in "their" language. No one will search with the .com or .net unless they already know of that site, then they will just put that in their browser. Good websites, SEO, links, and advertising will bring your site to the top of the search engine, just like "ours"!

Around the world 80% percent plus of the people don't speak any English....this whole IDN concept is for them! If they can read, they might even be able to remember a site.....ie vacation.com, now just translate that into any native script. It's already catching on...I have seen pictures of Japanese subway cars full of IDN website advertisements. The future is here...although will take some time to fully roll out...maybe a few years even.

Also- The public release of IE7, for Beta 2 (testing) by those interested was yesterday.

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:

There was a sea of prime generic >100% ROI names much of last year with the miniscule FF type-in traffic. They're scarce now. IE7 will supercharge the ROI.

To boost type-in traffic further, ICANN is adopting .IDN in native characters which will map to the TLDs like .com, .net, .jp, .ru, .cn and so forth. In other words, users will type in .ком which will map to .com and vice versa.

I guess part of the game was taking the risk in anticipation of this.

Edit: For the skeptics. Russian IDN local type-in traffic

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
overture would disagree as .com w/ extensions do get alot of typins

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
overture would disagree as .com w/ extensions do get alot of typins
candydatand.com would disagree as it has overture w/extension of 2080 and NO traffic.

memmst

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Or better still, invest in english dictionary domains and avoid hours of research.

3 Years later...
What's new in idn land Acro?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Digging up old threads ensures one thing: badly decomposed bodies :D

Regarding soccer.tv, you never used my logo :-(

silverclick

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wouldnt you want to register the country extension

ex: for chinese names .cn
今天.cn

where does one register IDN names?

memmst

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wouldnt you want to register the country extension

ex: for chinese names .cn
今天.cn

where does one register IDN names?

You can register .com/.net/.tv/.cn domains on Dynadot.
Once you register i.e 今天.cn you are the only one entitled to 今天.中国 and 今天.中國

Whois is showing all variations you are getting with your registration.
http://www.screencast.com/users/a261275/folders/Jing/media/b6bb270c-2ddb-45bf-8397-83229c7411bd
http://cwhois.cnnic.cn/whois?entity...%BD%F1%CC%EC.cn&vcinput=0198&service=%2Fwhois

Same for idn .com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom