Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

developed MatrixMania.com & GamerForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ended auction early. I purchased the site for more than the high bid at 5 seconds left. So my private reserve was not met. My apologies to anyone that planned a snipe within those last five seconds, but I did not want to be contractually obligated to sell at a loss. If anyone would like to purchase the site for $2500 today, Please send me an email or PM. This price is good for today only. And I will be taking a small loss at this price.

Sid

daniel

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seller ended the auction within the last 30 seconds, i guess they were not happy with the price. I hate when this happens...

Promediary

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Could be wrong, but I think I recently recall reading that the producers were contemplating Matrix 4. If the film is released, the host server for MatrixMania.com is gonna get quite a workout. Again.

Good luck, Sid.

UnusedDomains.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I find this to be despicable behavior. I was the highest bidder on this item, and my bid was valid. There was no reserve price on this item. a "personal reserve" is not a legally binding term. This auction was a sham and I wasted my time bidding on it. This is completely unacceptable. This seller emailed me - after I had to email them twice about the auctino, mind you - that they were not gonna sell for less than a certain amount, that they were entertaining offers via another venue than eBay. In other words, this seller used eBay as a bargaining chip with other potential buyers at other venues, and acted dishonestly.

If I had won this auction, and had refused to pay, you can bet your left nut that this seller would have thrown a stink and demanded to be paid, that bidding on an auction is contract, etc... yet they don't show the same courtesy and honesty as a seller. I'll tell you what: putting an DN for auction on ebay *is* a contract, and closing the auction early because you didn't get what you wanted is dishonest. Period. I will be consulting with my lawyer on this issue to determine what my next line of action will be.

daniel

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with UnusedDomains on this. Ebay has a reserve for a reason. Seller should have used the reserve for this auction if they did not want sell below their cost. To
cancel an auction in the last 5 seconds is a waste of everyones time and not a fair
way to do business.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
closing the auction early because you didn't get what you wanted is dishonest

If it is not an acceptable practice on ebay, then why is the feature available for the seller to use it? And as a smart business practice, if a service offers two simialar options at considerably different prices, are we to use the most expensive? With the choice to cancel an auction if your target price is not met, which is free, or to use a reserve that will cost a few hundred bucks, which makes more sense? Ebay allows the cancellation of the auction in this way.

As for you being the top bidder UnusedDomains, Although the auction was cancelled 5 seconds before it was set to close, the bid amounts are still shown at http://offer.ebay.com/ws3/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=3084537825 which shows you as the lowest bidder.

I was the highest bidder on this item
So I am the one that is being dishonest?

As for being dishonest about this sale in any way, I made it perfectly clear in my response to you that I had a target price for selling the site, as you stated above.

Again, I am sorry for having to close the auction early.
Sid

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, until about 30 minutes left in the auction the top bid was $1025 and prior to ending the auction it jumped to US $1,800.05 within the last minute.

dogstar

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"If it is not an acceptable practice on ebay, then why is the feature available for the seller to use it?"

Actually, this is not acceptable practice based on ebay policy

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

Specifically, see this paragraph:

"Note: Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be reserve fee circumvention. Although there are legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, abuse of this option will be investigated."

I would think at the very least, this would be cause to have your ebay account removed. Moreso, I think it is immoral behavior and you have made it oh so clear by your actions that you're not someone anyone on this forum would choose to do business with.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for showing me this section of the ebay rules. I was unaware of this. I knew that you could end an auction early, but like many people, I am sure, did not read every single line of ebay rules, and do apologize for making this error. To make up for doing so, I will contact the Highest bidder on ebay at the time of the auction closing and give him/her the option of purchasing at his/her bid of US $1,800.05. Which was probably less than his proxy, but what he would have won the auction with.
Moreso, I think it is immoral behavior and you have made it oh so clear by your actions that you're not someone anyone on this forum would choose to do business with.
But my question is, since I stated that I did not plan on selling the site for under the $2500 price, to 3 of the bidders that sent inquiries, and 4 others that showed interest by PM and email, how can this be considered immoral behavior? There was no trickery involved. As stated previously by UnusedDomains, I made it clear when corresponding. So other than making an honest mistake of not knowing of this ebay rule, I was upfront with any and all expectations of the auction. Excuse me for being an ebay newb, I truly apologize, and as I said, will give the high bidder an opporunity to purchase the site for the high bid.

dogstar

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, that's fair enough for me. Sounds like you made an honest mistake. Everybody does now and then.

I wanted to bid on this auction too, but then got busy with work and missed the end bidding :) So I think that guy got a very good deal!

NickRac

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
get over it - it's his auction - let him do what he wants

Promediary

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Since none of the posters in this thread appear to have been the high bidder ($1,800.05) when the auction was cancelled, none of the posters are damaged.

Everyone's said their piece. Now, as NickRac succinctly stated, "Get over it."

UnusedDomains.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Promediary said:
Since none of the posters in this thread appear to have been the high bidder ($1,800.05) when the auction was cancelled, none of the posters are damaged.

Everyone's said their piece. Now, as NickRac succinctly stated, "Get over it."

I disagree. Because the auction was closed before the end, nobody had a chance to up their bid - I know I didn't. There was no point in me bidding early again. I was waiting till the end of the auction.

And for this seller to say that I was dishonest, on top of it, is quite rich! What this loser does not understand is that had the auction had an actual, official reserve price, my bidding strategy would have been completely different. But because they wanted to cheat eBay out of the fees that, per the user agreement that the seller accepted to list their item, they had agreed to pay, the use of the early auction cancelation to save themselves from having to go through with the sale is fraudulent at best in my mind.

I for one will never even consider buying from this person again, because I'll never know if they are serious or ready to pull another fast one.

Promediary

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
UnusedDomains.com]And for this seller to say that I was dishonest, on top of it, is quite rich! What this loser does not understand is that had the auction had an actual, official reserve price, my bidding strategy would have been completely different. But because they wanted to cheat eBay out of the fees that, per the user agreement that the seller accepted to list their item, they had agreed to pay, the use of the early auction cancelation to save themselves from having to go through with the sale is fraudulent at best in my mind.

I for one will never even consider buying from this person again, because I'll never know if they are serious or ready to pull another fast one.

Some of your points are well taken and seemingly logical. And perhaps we can all learn something from this experience.

However, I can assure you that Domainut is not larcenous by nature. He's a stalwart domainer with whom I've had numerous pleasant and successful transactions. So while your observations may have some merit, you dilute your own credibility when you resort to name-calling and stretch a seemingly a legitimate inquiry into a slanderfest.

UnusedDomains.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My own credibility? You gotta be kidding. Good for you if you had good experiences with this person. I did not, and last I checked, this is a free country where one is allowed to express their opinion, especially when they tried to do business with someone who basically cheated to get out of a deal.

This is not a slanderfest: this is telling others what happened so that they can better assess whether they want to deal with this person or not... you will also notice that even though I bid on the item, because the auction was cancelled early, I have no way to leave a rating on this person's ebay account. Since they advertised their auction here, it's only fair game in my mind to let all know what happened.

My points are not seemingly logical. They *are* logical. My observations *may* not have merit. They DO have merit. I am not name calling anyone, but recounting what happened in an objective fashion. This person, on the other hand, had the nerves to doubt my honesty, and that's something you can't expect me to ignore.

Last but not least, it is the second time that a member of this forum advertises an ebay auction, listed with no reserve, that I bid on, only to have it cancelled before the end becuase he was not getting what he wanted. I am tired of this practice, and I would think that all here would agree with me that if we don't put an end to this, and show our displeasure with this dishonest practice, then why have auctions at all? Why do business? If this forum and others like it are going to retain credibility and value as a venue where professionals can meet and buy DNs from each other, then rules have to be abided by, and when they are not, we need to have some kind of a public area where we can address these issues. I would think that the very original thread in which the auction was advertised is as good a venue for this purpose as you will find.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have said my peace, apologized twice, sent the high bidder an email offer to sell the site at the high bid, and accepted my misinterpretation of the ebay rules. If I need to do more, please let me know.

Sid

Promediary

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK. You win. He's a liar, a cheat, a scoundrel, a child molester, a fugitive from justice AND he probably voted for George Bush in November 2000! However, other than that, he's a great guy.

Seriously, you're beating a dead horse.

UnusedDomains.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domainut: I thank you for your latest post. That's the reaction I was hoping to see, and I commend you for it. Most people will continue to try and pretend they were right all along, and not accept that they made a mistake.

Thank you for this.

I am sorry that this mess took place in the first place. I was looking to potentially owning this site.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors and with this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators