• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

milliondollarhomepage.com dodgy goings on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i do not feel, like it could be a spam on alittle adverts, but i would Never believe ebay and yahoo have paypaled him their fees for the pixels in there

its all sucks long time already
 
I realise I have been lame and my idea of making short daily blog entries is something of a distant memory. Forgive me - as usual its been hectic juggling university life with the website and all the publicity surrounding it. Everything is still quite surreal. I can't believe I'm actually closing in on the magical million figure. It would be nice if it finished by christmas but it may go into the new year just a little bit. Saying that, orders are continuing to flow in at a tremendous rate and I'm often as surprised as everyone else when I check the pixel counter to see what the current total is (Gav and Ean handle all the pixel orders so I usually just check the 'normal way' to find out how much I'm making).

Oh yeah, I learnt a lesson last night. The lesson is: don't lose your wallet and keys on a night out. It really messes stuff up! It's taken all day to sort out and I'm still feeling the repercussions as I type (quite literally, my head is spinning a bit). I shall never drink again! Anyway, my wallet and keys were found and returned this afternoon by a member of the public. Which is really very nice. Thanks Cat!

- From his blog.


Who is this "cat"?... And is it the same as the "CasinoCat" affiliate person?>
 
Duncan said:
- From his blog.


Who is this "cat"?... And is it the same as the "CasinoCat" affiliate person?>

Yup, the person who found his wallet is the same person who happens to have affil links on his site. 1,000,000,000:1 shot and it came through!
 
And we continue to give him coverage... ;) perfect example of guerilla advertising and monetization.
 
BLazeD said:
Yup, the person who found his wallet is the same person who happens to have affil links on his site. 1,000,000,000:1 shot and it came through!

:laugh:
 
Haha look..

Andy - there's no scam, I've mentioned this in the blog more than
once, everything is genuine. every pixel has been sold legitimately,
and i have no affiliate links of my own, but others have purchased
pixels for their own affiliate links.
 
I think it's unlikey that the whole thing is a sham. How would he have funded his media trip over to the U.S.? That alone costs a bit of money.
 
On a lark I gave it a try and signed up for a 10x10 spot to see what would happen. He answered in about 12 hours and put the little block up there as promised, but in the wrong grid spot. Not sure if his page started off as a sham, but the viral marketing aspect of it is all too real.
 
xtc, have you noticed any increase in traffic, sales or rankings?
 
financialtraffic said:
I think it's unlikey that the whole thing is a sham. How would he have funded his media trip over to the U.S.? That alone costs a bit of money.

I didn't think the whole thing was a scam, no doubt he has made a lot of money selling pixels and congrats to him for that.

I did however, and still do think that many of the black "reserved and paid" blocks at the bottom of the page are fabricated sales. Many reasons make think this, some stated in this thread, others not.

- Rob
 
Acroplex said:
Who cares. I get more than 200 clicks /day from the 30x30 pixel block I placed. A $900 investment, and it's a business expense to top it off. I also own a typo of the domain, which makes up to $2 /day.

It's viral marketing at its finest.

Who Cares? :-O


j/k

Chris
 
I notice with anything successful people get jealous and conspiracy theories go around, Aaah well!
 
paulc said:
xtc, have you noticed any increase in traffic, sales or rankings?

It's been up for a few hours and no clicks have been recorded yet. Not expecting much as I believe late-comers (like me) to the page will have visibility issues as the spaces fill-up, but the curiosity factor got the best of me.
 
sasquatch said:
I wonder how much was that BBC journalist who "broke the story" in for with this guy?

My guess is 50-50%

I think you are right, if it smells like a skunk then it is a skunk.

I'm just not sure who broke the story, I thought it was theregister.co.uk that broke the story.

It would be great to know who exactly broke this story and why they published this non story of a student who put up a blank web page to sell advertising and if they knew the student in any way?

Lets face it, some credible news organization published this non story in the first place. Who was it????
 
Only thing that ticks me off is the gazillion copycat sites that want a piece of the pie. Losers!
 
Acroplex said:
Only thing that ticks me off is the gazillion copycat sites that want a piece of the pie. Losers!


I'd copy it in a heart beat if I could generate that kind of money. I would at least change the graphics but copy the concept, hell ya. Matter of fact I just bought milliondolarhomepage.com I might just write my own script and put a pixel site up.
 
mppedersen said:
Matter of fact I just bought milliondolarhomepage.com I might just write my own script and put a pixel site up.


My guess is you might earn about zero dollars for your efforts. Unless of course you trick a few people.
 
Theo, do you receive many clicks on your image on the site?
 
My guess is you might earn about zero dollars for your efforts. Unless of course you trick a few people.

The site will earn $3 to $5 per day on ppc, all of those copycats advertise on google and yahoo dont they? So I don't see how I will make zero dollars.
 
It's one thing to copycat the concept. But you are copying the actual domain/brand that Alex created. You're visitors, if any, will be ones who are looking for his site and not yours.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom