Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Misspell domains-Legally risky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dkorbis

Misspell domains-Legally risky?

I own a number of misspelled domain names of pro hockey teams. How legal is and would a sports team be inclined to chase such stuff?

The domains are registered to a firm out of the country. Any opinions? Feel free to EM me.
Dave

N

Namenerd.com

If they feel they can gain profit or lose profit they may be feel obligated to make legal threats or take you to court. if the domains have a common name in them then they wont win in anycase. common names are stuff that you can find in the dictionary and that isnt orignal or unique to a individual

HOWARD

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mistyped names have been equated with cybersquatting by U.S. Federal Courts. see the Shields v. Zuccarini case decided by the 3rd U.S. Court of Appeals. I argued in that case that the ACPA was meant to prevent domain holders from the unauthorized use of trademarks and the attempted resale of those domains to the TM holder, or, in the alternative, from using those TM domains to compete with the TM holder.

I further argued that the Internet is very exact and if the user did not type in the EXACT name of the domain, he wouldn't get it whether or not the mistyped name was owned by someone, and that this was not cybersquatting.

Unfortunately, the court didn't buy the argument and extended the definitions of "bad faith" to include typosquatters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom