Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Mistakes you made as a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if you guys made any mistakes when you first began domaining. If so, do you mind sharing them on this thread?

For me, I made the mistake of buying too many domains thinking I would develop them. It's easy to get carried away. I should have focused more on learning the ins and outs of this business first.

However, I consider my mistakes to be part of the tuition of successful domaining. As long as we learn from our mistakes and don't repeat them, it can't be all bad.

I'd like to hear your answers!

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think a big mistake newbies make is not listening to veterans. They are veterans for a reason. Not that you should listen to all of them, use your own judgment, but the quickest and safest path to success in any endeavor is to model those that have already succeeded.

Bender

Bending
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think a big mistake newbies make is not listening to veterans. They are veterans for a reason. Not that you should listen to all of them, use your own judgment, but the quickest and safest path to success in any endeavor is to model those that have already succeeded.

you can't always win by playing on the safe side.You need to diversify, otherwise you might end up entering in a territory after the fun ended:cheesy:

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't Drink and Domain... :puke: LOL

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't let anyone ever stop you from doing something you truly believe.

In the end...you lose.

Master Chief

DN Sniper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
avoid sub domains..

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the #1 newbie mistake is registering domains just because they sound 'cool' but that have very little resale/development potential (been there...).

#2: registering TM names
#3: getting carried away as you put it, too many domains that don't sell and don't get developed. As a result you run into cash flow problems and end up dropping names as renewal comes due
#4: owning too large a share of exotic extensions
#5: unrealistic price expectations
#6: trusting third-party appraisals

:)

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you can't always win by playing on the safe side.You need to diversify, otherwise you might end up entering in a territory after the fun ended:cheesy:

Those that have succeeded have not always played on the safe side. Many have also diversified...as I said, model those that have already succeeded :)

Warrior

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Failing to add privacy protection to all my domains.

Warrior

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why do you feel this is important?

SPAM reasons mostly, Junk mail in my PO Box coupled with low ball domain offers. I went private last year and it's been peace ever since.

there has been rumours rick swartz goes around with the dead threats to some, tho i haven't heard anything

The question was asked to me, Please spare me your fatuous comments in the future.

SuperNova

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1. Registering too many domains

2. Attempting to purchase traffic/revenue domains before understanding how to actually verifiy traffic & revenue. There are a lot of scammers out there.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
buying more domains than I could develop and not renting them or coming to Jesus about it.

Busynic

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ignoring common sense.

I've been up - I've been down. The biggest lessons are always costly - whether you listen or not, is another thing.

I subscribe to the theory that a costly lesson is not the same as a lesson that costs. Watch experts, pick mentors - be who you are and no-one else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators