Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.mobi domains suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mole

Agree or disagree?

As stlds, they are essentially as useless as .aero, .museum and .coop - you can't speculate on them.

DomainTurn.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they are reaching now.

Verizon.mobi

yeh right

same with .jobs

I think losangelestimes.com/jobs/sales/domainnames is easier to remember

Im just glad Im not the person who is intrusted to brand these tld's

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.mobi does suck unless you happen to be the DJ himself :)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
www.music.mobi ...Brandable? I think not. What the hell's a ".mobi"? A mobile phone? Yeah right...

.Mobi domains will suck. Even worse than dot coop and I didn't think that was possible... However that will not stop whomever is in charge of .mobi sales to offer "free" domains after the first year. You can take that to the bank! :wink:

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They're even worse than .st and that's saying something.

Joe

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.mobi names really do suck. There is just nothing redeeming about .mobi.

Unbelievable actually. :-O

-Joe

Darren06

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think .mobi can take off if its specifically for mobile phone sites.

accent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Poster #1 Mobi Sucks.
Poster #2 Mobi really Sucks.
Poster #3 Mobi really really Sucks.
Poster #4 Do you think Mobi Sucks?
Poster #5 Yeah, Mobi Sucks!
Poster #6 Big time Sucks.
Poster #7 Sucky sucky Sucks.
Poster #8 I think Mobi Sucks.
Poster #9 Positively Mobi Sucks.

Gosh, am I impressed with all this insight!

domainrock

Newfound Names
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.Mobi sucks.....Plain and simple.

Most people who own .mobi's will vigorously defend how “mobile content” is the wave of the future and what better investment is there than to own a .mobi domain.

Where is the Logic in any of this?

The reasoning behind .mobi names were to create a platform that introduced development standards for websites providing mobile content.

Web standards = for phones of that era….

Technology advances – IPhones rule the world – soon blackberry’s will also have web browsers that can view a .com the same as if you were sitting at your desktop.

.Mobi is not needed in the newest generation of mobile phones and it will even become more unimportant for a company to define / separate their mobile content with a .mobi domain in the next couple years.

“Stop thinking in cents - Anybody can make a buck” - This is my favorite quote.

When investing in a domain name think about the ones that will be around forever - .com, .net, .org and popular country codes such .co.uk and .ca

All the new TLD’s - .mobi, .asia, etc…. – junk, just pure 100% junk – It’s big business boys and girls. Most people belive the hype …. Then again most people also believe what they see on TV…..

-----------------------------------------------

BTW, Devil Dog, I commend you – as you admitted being a .mobi owner and still quoted a little bashing in this thread – For that, I hope you sell all your .mobi’s to a Saudi prince this year….

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Technology advances – IPhones rule the world – soon blackberry’s will also have web browsers that can view a .com the same as if you were sitting at your desktop.Really? who and what has convinced you of this?

This is my favorite quote – when investing in a domain name think about the ones that will be around forever - .com, .net, .org and popular country codes such .co.uk and .caWho are you quoting, yourself? Forever is a hell of a long time.
Wow, amazing what words from 2004 can inspire in 2008.

BANNEDfromTV

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To be honest this has been my argument for some time. Mobile phone browsers are getting so advanced that the .mobi domain is just not a requirement. I like the ethos behind the domain, that all sites must adhere to mobile phone standards for browsing. However it was born out of a need for WAP browsers and quite simply the new JAVA browsers for handsets these days don't need to have phone compliant sites.

In all fairness you can build a site to fit a mobile phone based browser with some CSS. The site will know where the traffic is coming from and display the page accordingly.

There is no domain extension that will ever outclass the .com (since it's the original). I personally don't like .net or .org but they are still worth the investment. I own a lot of .co.uk domains (as I'm based in the UK) and to be honest they're on a par with .com's because our contry tend to enter .co.uk before the .com extension.

If you own good names in the .com .net .org and .co.uk .de .fr and .ca you wont go far wrong. They're short extensions and worth the investment. .ASIA .TRAVEL (WFT) .MUSEUM are all just crap. I'd rather own a .TK than those.

However lets not ignore the fact that several .mobi domains (games, music for example) have been sold for $xxx,xxx and therefore you may not like the extension, but if there is a custom base for it. Why not own a few decent ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators