Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.mobi idiots!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know I will probally get alot of slack of this post, but some of you need to hear this--- newbies/n00bies and otherwise. The fact remains that certain extensions are great and some of them suck and some remain particular to certain arctypes. The .mobi extension has to do with the latter. When registering a .mobi... HEY! let's keep in mind the extension and the practical use. Firstly, we need to get ourselves out of a .COM mindself and realize and accept this IS a new extension. Who is going to be looking up "RealEstateMortgages.mobi" on there their cellphones?! Extension matters! Let's take the .info for a moment. You can do long and you can do short. Names.info is beautiful.... Directory.info works well too. But why the hell would TelecomunicationsComapny.info be seutable. It may not be the best example, but it should shed some light that a new extension doesn't mean that keywords for a .com, .net, .us, or.org works well with it.... go backorder a domain name from snapnames or pool or something before thinking that GreatMortgages.mobi is an intelligable choice.

I've been around for a while and I know someone else on here has been itching to freaking say this. I always wish the best of luck to fellow domainers... but read stuff from the archives about past landrushes etc. and gain some additional wisdom when it comes to stuff like this.

I love you all! :yield:

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In my opinion .mobi won't go anywhere. That didn't stop me registering a couple on the off-chance. Apparently the irony was lost on the registry when they chose a long extension that has to be typed on those natty little keyboards.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
arctypes...Firstly...mindself...TelecomunicationsComapny.info...seutable...intelligables.

I think that people may take your advice if you learned how to spell first...just a thought. :rant:

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, I think you have to take into consideration the intent and the direction the massive companies backing the extension.

Consider this for a moment...

What if .mobi ends up being the default ext of anything typed in? Just like .com on a PC (or mac) based browser?

What if these massive companies are successful in selling the idea to the public that websites other than mobi WONT work on their portables as well, or not at all?

What if, like my Verizon V-Cast Phone, Blackberry, Pocket PC and Dell Trio PDA... all the next gen portables are delivered with the same QWERTY keyboard my stuff has now... only BETTER?

Look at the push... just like political activision, these corporations are getting behind the extension for SOME reason. And none of these guys do anything out of the goodness of their own hearts... there's big bucks in it for them. The question is WHERE?

I say the answer is evident in the developement of cellular services, fiber optics and wireless connectivity: Protocol or Standards.

Assuming standardization, you might also assume that these corporation are in actuality building themselves a NEW media platform on which to sell their advertising. I much more targeted platform with an inherantly higher click through rate.

Several of my new mobi sites are taking hits... not truckloads but bits. The astonishing thing is that they are getting decent CTR. Why?

Not because my sites are so great for Mobi or are the top-end "hot" generics to own. But because of the NATURE of the mobile platform, everything is TEXT driven and needed to be accessed in a hurry. The ADS are virtually invisible to the surfer and the prepensity to click on the first real link is HIGH.

That alone is a good reason to own a good, solid, trafficing mobi domain and remember, mobi is still visible on your desktop... so the potential of a mobile user to bring the site home and type-in the domain on their desktop goes way up as well. And... isn't that WHY we do this? LOL!

The other reason, is the future. Not this year, not really 2007.... but 2008 will see some HUGE pushes in the mobi ext market.

Here's one final point... I don't want to redesign my .com for visual use on a portable. If I do, the Portables will look right (assuming I do my job) but the standard net surfer will get a rather boring and bad looking PC page. Can't have that.

By having a mobi, I can duplicate my page, specifically for use on a Portable... a page that is designed to take advantage of the search and click habits and constraints of todays mobile/portable Internet Surfer.

To that end, I've been experimenting and am in the process of Designing mobi template sites, speciflcally for Portables. These will enable standard site holders to have a mobi optimised domain to run in parallel with their dotcom, net, org... whatever... without compromising their main page and revenue generator. Plus, there are links on both, to each other, just in case. Going this route will potentially double, if not triple, the CTR associates with that domain. The domain on which to find these purpose built and optimized mobi sites is, of course, MobiDesigns.mobi

I'm already seeing it... And it's going to get bigger, faster and stronger as the ad budgets, campaigns and prodings of the mobi backers come into play.

Just my thoughts... I'm excited to see what the ext will do. I'm really starting to believe in it. :)

Best of luck to all of you,

GoPC

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most smartphones/PDAphones have standard web browsers, so there's no real benefit in running a seperate domain for mobile users - if you're really worried about catering to them you might as well detect their browser version and redirect them appropriately on your primary domain.

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What if these massive companies are successful in selling the idea to the public that websites other than mobi WONT work on their portables as well, or not at all?

What if, like my Verizon V-Cast Phone, Blackberry, Pocket PC and Dell Trio PDA... all the next gen portables are delivered with the same QWERTY keyboard my stuff has now... only BETTER?

Look at the push... just like political activision, these corporations are getting behind the extension for SOME reason. And none of these guys do anything out of the goodness of their own hearts... there's big bucks in it for them. The question is WHERE?

The question is not so much what if, but rather WHEN?

When they have sold as much of "old school tech" to the public as they can profit off of and people are ready for new....
When they get the new software running....
When they get the new "Factories" re-set for mass production....
When they get HSDP tech working with less interference....
When they start blasting their .mobi extentions in television shows & radio ads....

*note: They refers to the backers of .mobi (telecomunications mostly)

The internet is morphing into THE media. TV pipes, Music pipes, Home Movie downloads just around the corner.....

and don't worry about small screen, you just put on your earbud-sunglasses that have video capability and plug it in your moblie device.

Not what if, but rather WHEN

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and don't worry about small screen, you just put on your earbud-sunglasses that have video capability and plug it in your moblie device.

'Plug in' what grandad ;)?! I won't be using wires.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well stated GoPc!! Save this thread. GoPC, history will prove you correct.

BusinessWeek.mobi, BMW.mobi & others are being highly advertised currently.

This is the birth of a new domain era.

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well said -X-! But only time will tell whether this .mobi craze is total hogwash or not. I am a true believe of the .COM and few progressive ccTLDs fullstop!! Otherwise about the rest it is a big NOWAY! Keep on speculating...

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes of course mobi will be the default of mobile phones. It's so obvious. You would have to be an idiot to miss that. How could you not buy just one. Really stupid to say 'mobi idiots'. Look to the future, in this case it is perfectly clear (at least up to June 18th 2023 at around lunch time).

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I reg a .mobi, does that mean I have to get a cellphone to see how it works?

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know I will probally get alot of slack of this post, but some of you need to hear this--- newbies/n00bies and otherwise. The fact remains that certain extensions are great and some of them suck and some remain particular to certain arctypes. The .mobi extension has to do with the latter. When registering a .mobi... HEY! let's keep in mind the extension and the practical use. Firstly, we need to get ourselves out of a .COM mindself and realize and accept this IS a new extension. Who is going to be looking up "RealEstateMortgages.mobi" on there their cellphones?! Extension matters! Let's take the .info for a moment. You can do long and you can do short. Names.info is beautiful.... Directory.info works well too. But why the hell would TelecomunicationsComapny.info be seutable. It may not be the best example, but it should shed some light that a new extension doesn't mean that keywords for a .com, .net, .us, or.org works well with it.... go backorder a domain name from snapnames or pool or something before thinking that GreatMortgages.mobi is an intelligable choice.

I've been around for a while and I know someone else on here has been itching to freaking say this. I always wish the best of luck to fellow domainers... but read stuff from the archives about past landrushes etc. and gain some additional wisdom when it comes to stuff like this.

I love you all! :yield:

amen X.. even the cellphone related domains might not even be worth reg fee.. thats why its speculation.. but yes, screw all that "register every LLL.mobi" and mortgagesforyou.mobi getmoneytodayfree.mobi

heres a good way to find still available good .mobi domains (if there is such thing): just picture being on the go with your little cellphone or pda and business trips, flying places, staying at hotels..getting info on the go..etc etc.. just run a whole day of being on the go business-man style through your head.. or teenager-that-wont-get-off-the-phone style.. cellphones can do anything nowadays, but like X said how realistic is it someone is going to be findinghomeloans.mobi on their cell phone..

yet again today i will be regging more "decent" .mobi domains.. at first i could get 1/30 i entered turned out to be decent.. now its down to like 1/100 probably.. there are still a lot of plays-on-premium names available, some are even shorter than the premiums

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
whats to stop scripts that detect whether a .com is being displayed on a desktop or a phone (could be done by which internet browser was being used).

depending on what the script found, a different version of the site was displayed.

i can see value for companies with BRANDS to get mobi, but anything else people are gonna go .com

checknme

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Websites are becoming device agnostic. .mobi is in complete contradiction with this.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not understanding the pre-reg landrush process here. A ton of .MOBI's have WHOIS info and people are polluting threads with .mobi appraisals but registrars seem to only be taking pre-orders.

On another note for all you .MOBI doubters - I just tried to register GOATSE.MOBI ... pool already caught this gem for someone :pound:

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He means that it shouldn't matter what the ext is, it will work on any device... from desktops to portables.

However....

Have we all forgotten that mTLD has a published compliance policy? A policy that states that mTLD will evaluate mobi sites every 90 days to ensure they are in-line with the purpose of the ext? Hmmm....?

If they are NOT compliant... in other words designed like a standard .com... they are subject to a series of warnings and corrective action resluting in SUSPENSION.

Kinda puts things in perspective, eh?

Maybe mobi domains have more value after all, eh?

Maybe those that have thought it didn't matter might want to rethink the ext?

I told you guys they had it all worked out... they WILL ENSURE that mobi is a success. They (mTLD and their collective backers) have alot riding on it.

More information and the list of mobi's powerful supporters, like Google, Nokia, Microsoft, GSM, T-Mobile, Vodaphone, Telefonica, Ericsson, Samsung and more... visit http://pc.mtld.mobi

GoPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators