Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.mobi idiots!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
More information and the list of mobi's powerful supporters, like Google, Nokia, Microsoft, GSM, T-Mobile, Vodaphone, Telefonica, Ericsson, Samsung and more... visit http://pc.mtld.mobi

GoPC

You know whats odd - Motorola is not involved in this at all. Makes me think Motorola might start putting something proprietary on their phones.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nice names :)

Finally went back and grabbed MyFlix.mobi after 2 days of debate.

Kinda like a Mobi MySpace!

Going to build an online housing/hosting site for mobi users to offload and store their pix and flix. Free up that cellphone memory so theycan grab more pictures and Videos :)

GoPC

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You know whats odd - Motorola is not involved in this at all. Makes me think Motorola might start putting something proprietary on their phones.

Wouldn't surprise me... I found that one of my Motorolla Phones wouldn't migrate or take advantage of a new tech that became available. :(

These people are so hell bent on closed achitecture developement... it hurts them in the long run.

It's nice to see the diversity behind the mobi ext... I think this will serve as a platform for new and cooler things on our mobile horizons.

GoPC

PS - Perhaps the thread starter was stating that those NOT involved in mobi were idiots? Little reverse pysch maybe? ;)

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
after reading this I am afraid to ask an appraissal of my (dot tel) domains if you guys think dotmobi stinks there probably is very little hope for dot tel

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
. huh?

.tel is regulated i think..

.tel
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
.tel
Introduced 2005
TLD type Sponsored top-level domain
Status Approved
Registry Telnic Limited
Sponsoring organization Telname Limited
Intended use Telephone-based services as text alternative to phone numbers
Actual use Not yet available for use
Registration restrictions Registered names are supposed to be policed in some manner to weed out abusive registrations or registrants not in proper community
Structure Direct second-level registrations will be allowed; digits will be restricted to avoid conflict with phone numbers
Documents ICANN New sTLD RFP Application
Dispute policies UDRP, Sunrise dispute resolution procedure
Web site Telnic
.tel is a top-level domain approved by ICANN as a sponsored TLD. It would be restricted to "internet communication" services, and provide a supplement to the traditional numeric namespace for telecommunication services (i.e. telephone numbers). It is sponsored by Telname Limited. As of May 2006, it has been approved and added to the global DNS root, and is getting ready for its opening.

Since many of the sorts of services that may use .tel domains are intended for use on mobile telephones, there is some overlap in the target market between this and the .mobi domain, also approved by ICANN in the same round.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm posting from my vCast mobile phone. QWERTY keyboard is a big help. This board works nicely but is HUGE to navigate and scroll down through. So yeah, .coms can be accessesed but they are not the easiest to navigate. That's why I like mobi... The inputs required are totally different and if you build your site for one, youhurt the other.

Anyway, back to shopping. Regester is clear and my milk is getting warm.

GoPC

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why bother with .mobi if the .ph (philippines) trying to sell them as phone extension also. And new mobile phones and pda/phones has the capability to browse the internet just like the one I have from T-Mobile MDA. I like it that way, instead of 4-5 lines of internet surfing.

.mobi
.ph

I can see in print ads, contact in ph. not in mobi.

My 2 cent.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
after reading this I am afraid to ask an appraissal of my (dot tel) domains if you guys think dotmobi stinks there probably is very little hope for dot tel

Read a little closer... the bulk of us DON'T think mobi stinks. ;)

Certainly skeptical of its acceptance but I think that all the right elements are in place to make it a top domain ext. Not instantly, but in the next 2 years certainly.

Tel on the other hand... despite the structured similarities, I just don't see the dynamics and support lined up like they are for mobi.

GoPC

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
T-Mobile has plans for your phone. They're one of the sponsors. :doh:

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Different opinions are what make markets and markets make the business world go around, but as far as mobi is concerned, I'd be short like all the marketers and registrars that are selling them to the masses and making the real $.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's actually very easy to make any website today mobile friendly with the use of free/paid software. Many companies already use this technology - there is no need for .mobi. What level they make their users experience depends on what they deem their users value of the service to what it costs them to add/maintain it. So few of them offer this service because.... user demand is just not there!

Far too many .mobi's being registered are absolutely useless. People are not going to use 99% of them. If they want a rental car they are usually planning so before they go on vacation (or is added as part of their vacation package by default), or as they arrive at their destination at the airport. They will walk to the car rental booth rather than use their cellphone.

Are people going to surf the net to make a restuarant reservation? Most people already know what restaurant they want - they will call the old fashioned way.

What is the most common uses for mobile to net use today? Downloading ringtones, screens and few other niche things. Since this technology has been in place for over three years it has barely grown.

.mobi to me smells like "New Coke", "Planet Hollywood", or every other overhyped product launch of the past decade.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are people going to surf the net to make a restuarant reservation? Most people already know what restaurant they want - they will call the old fashioned way.

Not true at for me. I travel all the time and look up local area restaurants on my cell phone. Right now it is pretty cumbersome...I would love to have better access to this type of information on my mobile phone.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We dont need any of the Windows Operating systems either.. but i somehow ended up using it, and still do.

Next time im at best buy or circuit city ill just buy the computer with linux installed....err.. hehehehehhe, see where this is going?

uh-oh..here comes the internet/software giants telling us what we want again huh?
indeed so, google, microsoft, t-mobile, ericsson, etc, etc, but that *could* end up being the very reason this odd, useless, whatever domain takes off, at least for a short while?

100% sure, no
80% sure, no
completely possible with the insanely powerful companies backing it: yes.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's actually very easy to make any website today mobile friendly with the use of free/paid software. Many companies already use this technology - there is no need for .mobi. What level they make their users experience depends on what they deem their users value of the service to what it costs them to add/maintain it. So few of them offer this service because.... user demand is just not there!

Far too many .mobi's being registered are absolutely useless. People are not going to use 99% of them. If they want a rental car they are usually planning so before they go on vacation (or is added as part of their vacation package by default), or as they arrive at their destination at the airport. They will walk to the car rental booth rather than use their cellphone.

What is the most common uses for mobile to net use today? Downloading ringtones, screens and few other niche things. Since this technology has been in place for over three years it has barely grown.

.mobi to me smells like "New Coke", "Planet Hollywood", or every other overhyped product launch of the past decade.

For Real !

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

This will depend heavily on what mobiles look like 5-10 years down the road and what kind of cpu's/ram they will have and what screen sizes. My guess is they will be a lot closer to a pocket PC than a phone.

Personally, I can't wait for a platform compliant GOASTE.MOBI page. There is nothing worse than trying to explain goatse to someone without a visual aid.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This will depend heavily on what mobiles look like 5-10 years down the road and what kind of cpu's/ram they will have and what screen sizes. My guess is they will be a lot closer to a pocket PC than a phone.

Personally, I can't wait for a platform compliant GOASTE.MOBI page. There is nothing worse than trying to explain goatse to someone without a visual aid.

That's all true but you can goatse somebody today if the existing website is set up to do so. It's really not that hard to do and some open source CMS packages offer avantgo technology for example.

Once some corporations start doing a cost/return analysis of implementing an entire new domain many will probably opt to not jump aboard or will utilize their already mass-marketed and well known .com or cctld. Why spend millions to build/maintain/market cnn.mobi when they can already offer up content the same way through the already known cnn.com?

Some .mobi's might catch on, but far too many are just nonsense and don't stand a chance of ever being surfed.

If it's not already being offered up via the net on mass today, I highly doubt it will be tomorrow or the day after that. Getting a second mortgage over a wireless device is just not going to happen.

The bigger thing is for all those snapping up these domains - what are you going to do with them? If you are going to develop them how much do you think it's going to take to market it to make it successful? You will also probably need an existing .com to help facilitate that - so you got carrentals.mobi - good luck getting the .com to help your marketing effort. Is the existing owner of carrentals.com interested in .mobi? It's only - 50/50 chance that they are.

Then there is the whole issue of TM - are existing domain owners of .com versions of freshly registered .mobi's going to allow it to stand? I wouldn't hesitate to think that if you are sitting on a great .mobi that has an existing .com already around you will not have your .mobi for very long should it ever take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators