Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.mobi idiots!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The bigger thing is for all those snapping up these domains - what are you going to do with them? If you are going to develop them how much do you think it's going to take to market it to make it successful? You will also probably need an existing .com to help facilitate that - so you got carrentals.mobi - good luck getting the .com to help your marketing effort. Is the existing owner of carrentals.com interested in .mobi? It's only - 50/50 chance that they are.

In the end, right now, 1 month from now, 2yrs.. you will STILL be able to get your reg fee for rentcars.mobi or newsnetwork.mobi or emailaddress.mobi, etc.. thats why this is speculation.. might be a flop, but someone else will believe in strong keywords, even if i dont at the time im giving it up for $59.95 regfee/2yrs

Now if your putting up your grandmothers savings account, think twice.
I regged around 70 .mobi's and i could very well lose every last penny! $4200 down the crapper! one expensive lottery ticket huh?

What would you rather do, apply for a non-refundable fee of $1500 for a "premium" .mobi (example, "rentcar" and "emailaddresses" is a premium word) or buy rentcars.mobi/emailaddress.mobi for the reg fee from me? heh

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
dick.mobi sounds cute - and that's about it :-D

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
then im half way in luck.. i snagged dik.mobi muahahahaha
someone took dick and dic..

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
. huh?

.tel is regulated i think..

.tel
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
.tel
Introduced 2005
TLD type Sponsored top-level domain
Status Approved
Registry Telnic Limited
Sponsoring organization Telname Limited
Intended use Telephone-based services as text alternative to phone numbers
Actual use Not yet available for use
Registration restrictions Registered names are supposed to be policed in some manner to weed out abusive registrations or registrants not in proper community
Structure Direct second-level registrations will be allowed; digits will be restricted to avoid conflict with phone numbers
Documents ICANN New sTLD RFP Application
Dispute policies UDRP, Sunrise dispute resolution procedure
Web site Telnic
.tel is a top-level domain approved by ICANN as a sponsored TLD. It would be restricted to "internet communication" services, and provide a supplement to the traditional numeric namespace for telecommunication services (i.e. telephone numbers). It is sponsored by Telname Limited. As of May 2006, it has been approved and added to the global DNS root, and is getting ready for its opening.

Since many of the sorts of services that may use .tel domains are intended for use on mobile telephones, there is some overlap in the target market between this and the .mobi domain, also approved by ICANN in the same round.

Just have few for registrars dot tel.org dot tell.com dot tel.us without space
maybe one of more my foolish regs although they might actually make reg fee

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some people on this forum may well slag off .mobi's but i bet they were the ones slagging off .de! And they are No2 at the moment!!! I think the .mobi thing needs time to settle, we will be able to gauge slightly by the 'premium names' auction, but i think the real value will show in a year or two's time, the big financial backers will ensure this happens as they will stand to make millions at the very least, and will make it through the very people chatting on forums like this regging thousands of .mobis a day! That will result in mobile surfing slashed in price, finally allowing everyone to use their mobiles/pda freely without fear of massive bills coming through the door! I'm still slightly worried that i've wasted £1500 on a flop, but i've got a feeling that there could be good times ahead!!!! Well thats my 10 pence worth!!!

Deleted member 70408

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mjnels said:
heres a good way to find still available good .mobi domains (if there is such thing): just picture being on the go with your little cellphone or pda and business trips, flying places, staying at hotels..getting info on the go..etc etc.. just run a whole day of being on the go business-man style through your head.. or teenager-that-wont-get-off-the-phone style.. cellphones can do anything nowadays, but like X said how realistic is it someone is going to be findinghomeloans.mobi on their cell phone..
I do that and will always goto the .com. When I am on my Blackberry I am looking for a particular company's site like Weather.com or Gmail.com, not surfing the web. Companies with TMs will own the .mobi which will probably be directed to the .com. All the other decent .mobi names will be owned by speculators and the extension will suffer the fate of the .eu. Huge landrush and poof... NOTHING. Why on Earth would any company choose to rebrand just because there is a new extension?

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do that and will always goto the .com. When I am on my Blackberry I am looking for a particular company's site like Weather.com or Gmail.com, not surfing the web. Companies with TMs will own the .mobi which will probably be directed to the .com. All the other decent .mobi names will be owned by speculators and the extension will suffer the fate of the .eu. Huge landrush and poof... NOTHING. Why on Earth would any company choose to rebrand just because there is a new extension?

The creaters of .mobi include the likes of Microsoft, Vodafone, T-mobile, Nokia and Google. Its hard to imagine that these industry giants just wanted to have some fun...or even better....conspired to just milk us...the domain speculators..... :wink_smile: They're all in this together and the real "speculation" is that they are onto something that's likely to be Big....as to exactly what and how and when....no one really has these answers as yet although many have some pretty reasonable ideas. Only select few insiders at these companies would know as to how they are planning to leverage this new domain that they have created. Each one of these companies, worth in billions, have a solid track record..they are not stupid. Heck, just the fact that all these big guys, including rivals like MS and Google, got together behind something like a new domain extension is in itself worthy of speculation..!! IMHO, wise domain speculators are those who observe these things keenly and act on them in a timely fashion rather than risking having a deja vu of 90's (for .coms) and 2001/02 (for .infos & .us) all over again in 4-5 years. I was not there for .coms but I've NEVER regretted taking part in landrushes and early regs (first few days of open registrations) for the newer extensions that I participated in such as .info, .biz, .us, and .in. The kind of names one can get in these early days would be a dream in just few short weeks, and if one does not attempt to be too innovative in name selection, you can almost always get your money back plus some for these early regs down the road.

Just my $0.02 based on 6+ years of domaining. Take it or leave it...Cheers...

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another .02 cents worth... I think the new Portable Web these investors envision is not people typing in websites on their portables... I think it's more like mobi hotkeys with prefiltered, canned result searches given presidence to mobi enhanced websites.

That's the new Mobi Standardized Platform. Traditional dots wont be members of that club and if these guys push the Mobil Internet Market to where I think they are headed, Companies will be clamoring to get their mobi sites online and ready.

Look at the Investors... look at their websites... look at the loose wording of the registrar agreements... look at where it is all pointing.

You have to read between the lines on this one boys. Realize that this is but one step in the plan. There is MORE coming.. SO MUCH MORE. But first, you have to build the foundation.

I'm excited about what's going to happen in 2007 and the resulting mobi entrenchement in 2008.

GoPC

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I haven't yet bothered to get any .mobi names...checked on a few but unless it's something I can develop...not gonna buy it. I think the resale on these will be minimal. Sure there are always some premium names but those will be out of reach already.

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Labrocca you'll be surprised there still are some little gems floating round out there undiscovered at present! You just got to dig!

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Labrocca you'll be surprised there still are some little gems floating round out there undiscovered at present! You just got to dig!

Honestly, if you have to dig, then I would't exactly call them gems. The gems were the first and second to go. You guys are sweeping up the third stringers. The ones the pros didn't want.

And to the people buying names with dashes? Why on earth would you do that? Of the top of your head, how do you put a dash on a non-qwerty cell phone / smartphone? .mobi is very much a niched tld. It's not like a .com or .info where everything can work with it. When I started this post, it's not so much that I'm against the .mobi extension but people buying up and chearing about ridiculous names and hyping it like it's the next great thing. I'm not against speculation, but damn, it's not speculating when their appears an inherent desire to buy 2nd tier names for something so niche in nature. To all you ConsolidateStudentLoans.mobi and NewYorkCity-Lawyers.mobi.... pm me and I will give you my home address where you can send me that $60 reg fee and I'll put in good use for you and pay you back in 2 years with interest d:) now there's a grand spanking idea!

For all you who think I'm hating, I did go out on a limb at the beginning of the rush and got 1 .mobi that has received an offer already. ( Though be it an insulting offer) Anyways, good luck to all! Reg smart!

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As others have already pointed out, mobile phones continue to morph into a universal internet access device with web browser, email, etc.

While the aim of .mobi may be to categorize sites that are optimized for small screens, that may be more of a fad than anything else ...

It's only a matter of time before some cell phone maker comes up with glasses (or an eye piece that extends over one eye; may be more practical, since it already exists and been tested in real-world use) that allows one to surf the web, control their phone, including typing commands; texting, etc...

Once people are able to view images in full-size perspective, the need for "optimized" sites goes away ...

Where does that leave .mobi? ... likely destined for the trashbin to join .biz, .reg, .museum, .aero, etc that have long seemingly been forgotten, assuming one even knew about them to begin with.

Ron

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if you have to dig, then I would't exactly call them gems. The gems were the first and second to go. You guys are sweeping up the third stringers. The ones the pros didn't want.

And to the people buying names with dashes? Why on earth would you do that? Of the top of your head, how do you put a dash on a non-qwerty cell phone / smartphone? .mobi is very much a niched tld. It's not like a .com or .info where everything can work with it. When I started this post, it's not so much that I'm against the .mobi extension but people buying up and chearing about ridiculous names and hyping it like it's the next great thing. I'm not against speculation, but damn, it's not speculating when their appears an inherent desire to buy 2nd tier names for something so niche in nature. To all you ConsolidateStudentLoans.mobi and NewYorkCity-Lawyers.mobi.... pm me and I will give you my home address where you can send me that $60 reg fee and I'll put in good use for you and pay you back in 2 years with interest d:) now there's a grand spanking idea!

For all you who think I'm hating, I did go out on a limb at the beginning of the rush and got 1 .mobi that has received an offer already. ( Though be it an insulting offer) Anyways, good luck to all! Reg smart!

amen again X.. you speakith the truth.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i'm a generics fan myself whatever the tld. found some LLL .mobis
would you bother?

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no.. unless you have like $60 x 17,000usd to spend its kinda pointless

NNN are all gone tho, why someone would want a random NNN besides pure chance i dont know, but there was only 1000 of those..

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NNN are all gone tho, why someone would want a random NNN besides pure chance i dont know, but there was only 1000 of those..

Numbers get shifted to the end in text-entry web browser mode... at least on my moto. Definately a pain in the ass to enter.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the NNN.mobi are very good choices. Especially something like 100, 200, 300.mobi.... etc. And most with repeating numerals. 444.mobi etc... random stuff like 947.mobi are worthless imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom