Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

moniker moniker mobi prereg a scam?

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I preregged a mobi domain yesterday with moniker (a NNN), I was surprised that it all went so smoothly actually.

On further investigation yesterday, I was browsing the main mobi tld website and noticed the whois function, low and behold, it looks like the domain that moniker was so happy to tell me was available yesterday, had already been registered under the trademark sunrise (a NNN would you believe) by a chinese company on august 15th.

Even though moniker states on the prereg page that if it is not successful, the funds will be added to my moniker account funds, IMO it is still unacceptable to accept registrations for domains that are clearly already registered able to be confirmed by a simple whois check.

adill420

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
not a scam..they will gladly refund your money..had that happen to me one in hundreds ;) actually i found out it was .mobi's whois that was really broken

DomainTakers

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I put about 8 .mobis on my list to register (did it through godaddy).

They were available, which for some i was surprised with.
How did you search to find that a certain domain is already taken through a trademark for .mobi?

Thankms

Reaction score
Folks - the .mobi registry has been down since Friday. There is no availability checks so in order to allow pre-regsitration reservations, you must show all names as being available. Land Rush has not started yet so 99% of the domain are still unknown.

If you use common sense, you know that most trademarks will be protected and not available so do not try to register them.

If they are taken, you will get your money back. Certainly not a scam folks

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe this is the case elsewhere too. If you want to know if something has already been taken simply check the following link to the .mobi whois directly as posted in other threads too:

http://pc.mtld.mobi/whois/index.php

In my opinion, anything worth pre-registering like movies.mobi, hotels.mobi, etc.. have all been reserved by the registry as a premium name anyway. Those will probably be the only type of .mobi names worth anything, imo. Best of luck.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why would they ever try to scam anyone? They have a very good reputation. Having used them for Escrow I would say that Moniker are 100% reliable and trustworthy. If you pay for a name that has already been registered you will certainly get a refund.

xero

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Although it is a 'refund', the point seems to be that you still have to use it for future purchases.
Hence there is no incentive to show if a name is already reserved, or has been pre-registered by someone else first..

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Although it is a 'refund', the point seems to be that you still have to use it for future purchases.
Hence there is no incentive to show if a name is already reserved, or has been pre-registered by someone else first..

exactly, and NNN's being a trademark? very intuitive...

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moniker and scam should never be in the same sentance. Moniker in my opinion is one of THE most honest registers of all. They have fantastic support, if you are ever in question, just email them; I usually get a reply within minutes.

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moniker and scam should never be in the same sentance. Moniker in my opinion is one of THE most honest registers of all. They have fantastic support, if you are ever in question, just email them; I usually get a reply within minutes.

Fair enough comment, actually they are my favourite registrar too! :wubpink:
maybe scam was a bit harsh I apologize (im straight up, I call things as I see it), however I was annoyed at seemingly being "tricked" into registering a domain that wasn't actually available, and in doing so basically topping up my account funds.

Also the whois at mobi was working fine when I checked it...

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
... I was annoyed at seemingly being "tricked" into registering a domain that wasn't actually available, and in doing so basically topping up my account funds.

Also the whois at mobi was working fine when I checked it...
Under these circumstances, I would hope that you'd be granted a refund to your charge card. Most appropriate imo. Along these lines I pre-reg'd a .mobi with a company that touted "full refund" in their .mobi details page. Only after my card was charged did a notice pop-up stating that an unsuccessful registration would result in my money going into "my account" at the registrar. That's dishonest and poor business. This was not Moniker who at least made their arrangement clear up front before the customer commited their money.

Reaction score
Moniker is posting refunds to credit cards even though we stated our policy that we would post to the account. The .mobi registry actually changed its policy on refunds and credits back to registrars...this is not the case for .com, net, org, info, biz, us.

Moniker also did very well in the land rush...capturing 15% of all pre-reg orders put through our system. This is considered very good considering there were more than 120 registrars competing for names

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Moniker also did very well in the land rush...capturing 15% of all pre-reg orders put through our system. This is considered very good considering there were more than 120 registrars competing for names

More than happy with Moniker, got my .mobi domains within seconds.

Apart from that, I have to agree to the above post from Ashaw

They have fantastic support, if you are ever in question, just email them; I usually get a reply within minutes.

Many Thanks to Don!

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey, all companies have draw backs especially during the launch of a ext but Moniker is the best and most secure place to have a name at. If there's ever any trouble I know Monty would be willing to handle it peronally. Was there an issue? Yes. Was it a scam? NO. Don't be so quick to use that word with one of the most reputable and support orientated companies in the domain industry.

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
we are actually posting credit back to the method of payment you used...so if by cc then back to cc, if by account funds, then back to account funds

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see it now in my "Account Transactions" dated yesterday
thanks ,
jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom