Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

More incompetence and lying at NameJet - who would have thunk :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwest

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK, I win a nice dot org in a great niche at namejet for a little over $500. Like 40 or so bidders. Reserve was just over $300, so I win. Name is at GoDaddy and obviously a private sale as it does not expire until December. I don't hear anything, I write them. I get back:

Thank you for inquiring with NameJet Support.

In contract with our typical processes, we are not always able to make transfer arrangements in advance for private sales. This can mean private sales may take longer; we regret any inconvenience. I have asked our senior support staff to verify the status of the transfer and I will report back once I have the information.

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,

Derek
Technical Support

Then they send an email saying that the REGISTRAR redeemed the name per their agreement. It was NOT a dropping name. It was at GoDaddy and a private sale.

Hello,

We regret to inform you that a domain you recently purchased through a pre-release auction has been cancelled by the registrar of record, as allowed by the NameJet Agreement. We are not provided with specific details and therefore do not have any further information to provide.

As a result of this Registrar request, we will be refunding the entire auction fee and removing the domain from your account within the next few days. Please be assured that this is a rare occurrence, and we do apologize for the inconvenience.

Then they send an email contradicting the first one. They say that the domain name "was never available for auction" Huh?

Hello,

We have received confirmation that this auction has been cancelled as this domain was not available for auction.

You will receive notification in a secondary message, when the refund has been issued.

We apology for any inconvenience this may have cause.d

Ben H.
Technical Support

They set a Namejet reserve on it!. They are either incompetent, liars, or both.

Beware, you can't trust anything Namejet does.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NJ does list names privately from very select domain holders. Usually with these private listings they like the names to already be transferred into enom though in some rare cases they'll allow listings before having them transferred in. If that's the case and the private seller backs out, or does not follow through on the transfer, etc.. then you'll find yourself in the situation you're in. Just curious whats the name, have you checked the history to verify it wasn't a drop? Sometimes registrars will hang onto them for a year after the original owner lets them expire too. Hope they get this sorted out for you.

bwest

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Definately was not a drop. It was curious that the name was still at GoDaddy. Has never seen that before with Namejet.

The kicker is the name is still listed for sale on Sedo. So maybe Namejet is just plain incompetent and auctioned off a name that no one ever listed. But then who do you explain the Namejet Reserve? SOMEONE from Namejet entered that into the auction information.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This happened before as well. Sellers refuse to sell the domains because they were not happy with the price. Have you checked the whois on the domain? You can name and shame the seller.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
NJ does list names privately from very select domain holders. Usually with these private listings they like the names to already be transferred into enom though in some rare cases they'll allow listings before having them transferred in.

While you are correct about the above, this does not appear to be the case here. Getting accepted at NJ to sell domains is very hard, and no NJ seller would jeopardize their VIP status by not following up with an auction. This is some glitch with GoDaddy. PM me the domain if you need further research.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While you are correct about the above, this does not appear to be the case here. Getting accepted at NJ to sell domains is very hard, and no NJ seller would jeopardize their VIP status by not following up with an auction. This is some glitch with GoDaddy. PM me the domain if you need further research.

I have e-mailed them before regarding some domain auctions being cancelled and they told me seller refused to go through with the sale. You can find similar case posts on NP.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I have e-mailed them before regarding some domain auctions being cancelled and they told me seller refused to go through with the sale. You can find similar case posts on NP.

In these cases, the seller's relationship with NJ gets terminated. There is a zero tolerance policy.

sparty

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How can someone can become eligible to list their domains on namejet auctions?

bwest

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Turns out that it seems to be mere incompetence. Namejet now says that it was entered by mistake, it was not a name that anywone had for sale. It was supposed to be the plural version, that one they say they "may" list at a later date. Seems believable since that name (the plural version) is owned by a respected broker.

Why did they just not come out and say that to begin with, instead of sending off various BS cover up emails. Just be truthful. We screwed up. Then offer something to appease the customer. (I'm still waiting :)

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why did they just not come out and say that to begin with, instead of sending off various BS cover up emails. Just be truthful. We screwed up. Then offer something to appease the customer. (I'm still waiting :)

Probably NJ thunk they were doing the right thing.

Ok I admit I just said that because I thought the word sounded funny.

Ben42

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good way to get a very accurate appraisal.

Knocks

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What's really disturbing is that NameJet allows private sellers to auction domains off but calls these auctions "Pre-release." That's definitely a dirty trick because most buyers think they are bidding on an exclusive, soon-to-drop domain and place a pre-order bid in order to stop the domain from going to other drop catchers. NameJet's customers have no idea that there is a human domainer behind the auction, and there is a high likelihood of shill bidding in many of these fake "pre-release" auctions.

I hope that sooner or later NameJet gets its ass kicked for doing this. Too bad the FTC does not give a crap about investigating domaining companies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
There is no shill-billing, NameJet is very ethical. Pre-release means just that. If you cannot determine from the WHOIS what is going on, then you're just a part-time domainer.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got a name that was sitting at Godaddy via namejet also, found it odd, had never seen that before. It has been over a week, nothing yet, I really think they need to have the domain sitting at one of their partners, before letting the auction proceed.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
airmax - As a seller, I move domains to eNom as soon as the auction ends. They know I do my part very fast; most sellers are required to first transfer the domain. Not sure what happens when a domain is unmovable, e.g. within 60 days of a registrar change.

Knocks

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is no shill-billing, NameJet is very ethical. Pre-release means just that. If you cannot determine from the WHOIS what is going on, then you're just a part-time domainer.

You seem awfully defensive if you need to resort to insults to respond to a comment that wasn't even directed at you.

FACT: NameJet uses the term "Pre-release" to describe a period that purportedly happens prior to domain expiration:

NameJet's own diagram:

img-cyclePreRelease-lg.gif

That's a shady practice in most people's book. You don't need to have a Ph.D in domaining to use WHOIS, and if people have to use WHOIS just to find out that a huge company is lying to them, that only proves the company is shady.

As far shill bidding, it's not exactly a secret that many domainers use shill bidding everywhere from Flippa to GoDaddy, and then they come and brag about it here or on Namepros. And why be surprised? If there is no mechanism to prevent something that can make people a lot of money, then it's pretty much guaranteed to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom