Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

(movie)rpg.com (kinda)- risky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Back in high school (late 80's, early 90's) I worked on an RPG (role playing game - like Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer, GURPS, etc.). I spent a few years on the project and during college the project got abandoned (sadly). I had a name for it and many pages of notes, rules, etc.. for the game.

Late in the 90's a movie came out that had the same exact name as my RPG but was comkpletely unrelated. The movie is not based on a book (it is a sequal to a movie based on a book) and the movie / my RPG have almost nothing in common (other than humans, an "Earth-like" enviroment etc).

The movie was Sci-Fi and it could be make into an RPG, though.

The exact movie title was "The (keyword1) (keyword2)" and my RPG was called "Keyword1 keyword2s" (second word was plural).

Recently, I've been feeling this RPG caling to me and I've decided to continue working on it.

So, do you think I would be safe to register Keyword1Keyword2sRPG.com (obviously the version w/o the RPG are taken) and use it for my RPG? It would be obvious that they are not related at all (it would be like creating an RPG called "The Star War" and registering "TheStarWar.com" and using it for a "Lord of the Rings" style RPG (just an example).

I know TM are based on usage and WIPO is SUPPOSED to go by usage but it's obvious that they do not a lot of the time and someone owning many domains, in their eyes, are automatically guilty of cyber-squatting.

I pray I can find something, either in writing or in print that I could prove that I was working on this almost a decade before the movie (which I think would drastically elp my case) but I'm afraid that I might not be able to. :(

Domain Summit 2024

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My opinion.

Stay away, create something new.

Why?

Well, what if. There are too many what ifs to help you sleep at night. Good and bad. What if your website/project becomes a huge success? Well then, people might care who don't or wouldn't care otherwise but money breeds greed.

Some thoughts and best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom