Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

My auction is just about to end on Godaddy - I am disappointed. Is Godaddy a bad place?

soopasimon

Reaction score
I think I have probably listed my domain in the wrong place. It has been described by a few domainers as a diamond in the rough and that I should not have listed it there.
I am now worried that I am letting go of a good asset for next to nothing as their system of showing domains seems confusing and flawed.

For good domains, would I have been better off using SEDO or another marketplace?
At the moment I am hopping mad............losing an asset is not funny.

What does everyone else thing of their display system?
I paid for featured auctions and it just seems awful, hardly showing up anywhere apart from the one featured channel.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
listing your name in an auction, without a reserve price is not recommended

unless you have something like a LLL.com or premium one word domain and even that can be risky, depending on the audience of the platform

and paying for a 'featured" promotion is wasted money

imo...

Reaction score
Godaddy are the walmart of domains. Consequently the people viewing their auctions and listings are probably people with a low budget. On the other hand most of the domains listed there aren't even worth registration fee anyway. I don't think people serious about the industry use them.

soopasimon

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
It's premium one word certainly and extremely brandable .com
But its just getting nowhere on there. I have not set a reserve as you say in the hope it may encourage bidders. But there seems to be no one about. Should I wait until it's over (there is about an hour left) before final judgement?

I've never sold a domain before and this was one I held on to for years, hoping to get some capital, but it has not turned out as I expected.
I guess it's because I am not a 'domainer' I do not understand the mechanics of it.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if it's really premium one word .com, then you should have been getting some inquires about it in the past or recently

I looked at featured auction list and didn't see any one word names, except for maybe frogster and that is not all that

imo....

soopasimon

Reaction score
You spotted my domain and the history of it is huge. The trademark only ran out two weeks ago so I would have thought it would be amazing for a startup.
Even GM (Opel Cars) trademarked it before that, so surely that showed its brandable. This is why I am questioning Godaddy.

Should that domain, with that history have been put on SEDO because as you say, Godaddy does seem full of junk?

It's amazing for a startup

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the "ster" suiffix has bout played itself out.
so the demand for such names has diminished

i think you should have just listed it for sale on various marketplaces as "Make Offer" and see what happens

i also would have had it parked to guage traffic stats, if any.

a lot of people put names up for sale and don't even know if it gets visitors/

imo.......

soopasimon

Reaction score
Well it went. Low $x,xxx

It did go up a bit, but I would have hoped for more. I guess that's my own fault for letting it sit for 6 years.
I really hope the buyer develops it, be interesting to see what happens.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Auctions are only frequented by domain investors. No end users ever bid at domain auctions..

So when you go for an auction you have settled for a reseller price. Further you settled for the fraction of the reseller market that is there and present for your auction. I dont like the auction model at all and in my experience it does not give you a decent price for your names.

rubyjean

Reaction score
With my experience, I will say it not true. Godaddy have done nothing wrong and although unfortunate that you disappoint with this. Many other platform are available where you can get your domain and hosting.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom