Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

My Success Story

Eric Loiselle

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
First let me introduce myself,
My name is Eric Loiselle and i am very new here to the forum i just registered today.
I am currently looking towards becoming a success aswell as a domainer.

As i was reading your story to success here i read to you mention buying keyword TLD's from your country and it proved successful to you.

1 question: i could you tell there was only 40 000 domain names registered? what tool did you use?
2. i'm from canada, do you think buying .ca would prove to be successful; for me aswell.

Thanks for your time and again congratulation on your success,
Amicably
Eric

Wow amazing story there.

dynadot

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wonderful story, Aqua. Thank you for sharing.

mediadial

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All the best .coms ARE NOT TAKEN! People just don't know how to look for them.
A good domain is a keyword domain... where do you find a good keyword domain? by using keyword planner in google
Adwords.

Build a big list of good high traffic search terms from keyword planner then take out all the spaces and place .com
on the end of those terms and run that list through Bulk Domain Availability Checker software in minutes to see the GOLD NUGGETS!
I use two different software to perform this process.

Always good to hear about peoples success stories. It drives motivation!

Cheers to all.

Last edited by a moderator:

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All the best .coms ARE NOT TAKEN! People just don't know how to look for them.
A good domain is a keyword domain... where do you find a good keyword domain? by using keyword planner in google
Adwords.

Build a big list of good high traffic search terms from keyword planner then take out all the spaces and place .com
on the end of those terms and run that list through Bulk Domain Availability Checker software in minutes to see the GOLD NUGGETS!
I use two different software to perform this process.

Always good to hear about peoples success stories. It drives motivation!

Cheers to all.

You do not have to do all of that. Just search in Keyword Planner and export the list and copy the cell containing the keywords and remove spaces using "find and replace" in your favorite text editor(Notepad, Sublime Text, etc...)

No software needed....

Most bulk checkers will automatically append ".com" to the end of the keyword.

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My best domain sale was £5,000 (GBP) for LondonToLet.com in 2000. Made it onto CNN with that: http://tinyurl.com/l82rqug

I have made much more money from making sites that provide a product or service. My best sale was FormToEmail.com for £40,000 (GBP). That was after living off it for a few years.

I've got $88K next to my name on Flippa, which I am quite proud of!

CdnBigD

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My best domain sale was £5,000 (GBP) for LondonToLet.com in 2000. Made it onto CNN with that: http://tinyurl.com/l82rqug

I have made much more money from making sites that provide a product or service. My best sale was FormToEmail.com for £40,000 (GBP). That was after living off it for a few years.

I've got $88K next to my name on Flippa, which I am quite proud of!

Were most of the domains you sold on Flippa, developed? Or just the domain only?
Thanks! :)

And it's a great story about the .co.za domains. I was considering my home country's .ca extensions but wasn't sure if anyone would buy a .ca. lol Seems like the majority of "end users" only look at .com's. (at least until i ran into this thread)

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been thinking about posting this for a few months now and have finally decided to do it. I believe it is always important to celebrate and share success. I have been a member on DNForum for about 2 years now and started registering domains in Late 2009. WOW did I miss the boat !

I have been frequenting DnForum, reading learning and gaining valuable knowledge from all expert domainers on this forum. When I started registering names, I was going for all extensions: .com | .net | .org | .co.uk | .co etc etc... I thought they were all awesome domains which I would sell. However they were "Pidgeon Sh*T" as I learned after about a year. They never got traffic, never got offers after listing on DNForum, Sedo etc etc

I then started to let them drop of which a couple were picked up on the drop. Ok, so maybe someone else saw value in them. I have kept about 100 names which over time got a bit of traffic and might be of value at some point.

So after a year of registering these "Great Domains", I thought: Why don't I focus on my own country extension. There were only 600,000 names registered in the co.za domain space as opposed to the 95million .com's registered. So, my registering journey began. Everyday I would register 10-20 names and continued on my registering spree for a while. Listing them on Sedo and parking them, things started to pay off.

I am getting frequent offers on my co.za names as well as confirmed sales with the lowest to date being a minimum $1200.00. Parking revenue is a constant minimum $2000.00 per month and growing. Wow, What a change in mindset and pursuing the domaining industry. I have now built up a portfolio of over 2500 domains and have become an accredited registrar of the uniforum domain space. What a great achievement in the past 18 months.

I have now been focusing on my home turf "Africa" and starting registering .com.ng (Nigeria) domains as there are only 40,000 domains registered and plenty of premium keywords. These get constant traffic and offers which is very positive and I am positive the com.ng domain space will continue to grow and in 5-8 years time be as prominent as the co.za domain space.

I know and understand everyone here sais: "Stick to .com ONLY" however it unfortunately did not pay off for me and I will now continue to stick to what I know and whats closest to me: My home turf. This also goes to say: "I did not miss the boat" There is always opportunity ! One just has to be proactive and look for it.

Cheers

Aqua84

Thanks. I do build out some, mostly where my interests are and others where I see alot of potential.
Two of my best:

www.bottleshop.co.za
www.fishingstore.co.za

Others:
www.windowtinting.co.za
www.financequotes.co.za
www.detoxretreats.co.za

Wish I had more time to develop. But hopefully will launch another 5 online stores in 2013.

Hey Warrick @Aqua84, was wondering if you still focused on investing and building .CO.ZA domains? Have you change your strategy at all in the last few years?

http://www.domainsherpa.com/warrick-mulder-coza-interview/

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators