Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

NamePopper missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

Keyworddomains.com

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow, that's pretty damn funny....lol

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had a friend who is an PI run Name Popper/ Nick - down a bit and found that he has in the past shown an address in Richardon Texas - Think Maybe someone should ask GregR about that? NamePopper (Alias) - Nick - Richardson, Tx. last listing 12/02.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Steve, that would be the address in Owens Boulevard?

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey Beachie - Yes that is the one he gave me - I did not want to publish it - He said that it was active as late as 12/02 and did not find a track after that date in Richardson TX - Beachie namepopper.com drops today also?

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi So who got Namepopper.com? I'm sure more than a few here tried for it.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izoot
Hi So who got Namepopper.com? I'm sure more than a few here tried for it.
It drops today - High Bid was $40 at NameWinner earlier today -

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is my opinion on what happend to Namepopper. Keep in mind, for the most part, it's educated guessing and I may be wrong.

As you may know, many domainers like to keep their personal information somewhat secretive. Just try asking those in forum chats if you can call them to talk on the phone, many will make up an excuse as to why you can't call.

Very early in the game, it's likely someone asked NP for his name (perhaps old boss GregR), rather than give real name he said nickmaster, i.e. "web master" as in Inter-Nic etc. However that person thought he meant Mr. Nick Master, so the name stuck and it also became his Mod Name. It is extremely unlikely Nick Master was his real name, in all likelihhood was a non-de-plume.

It also is believed he wanted to avoid personal contact with domainers (other than thru PM's and posts) as he always refused various efforts at personal contacts and apparenty never once spoke to anyone on the phone. Than is actually far from unusual as many domainers are like that, not just NP, for various reasons.

NP quickly became the #1 Moderator at DNF, and perhaps the best Mod in the world. After zillions of hrs and many PM's on the forums he likely started to get burned-out, as anyone would. He was thought to be more active (plus helpful & appreciated) than all the other Mod's at all the other domain forums combined, also more popular than others.

Then GregR sold DNF to DotComGold. It appears very likely from reading posts (reading between the lines) and pm's, NP did not really like DCG and the way he proceeded to so heavily commercialize dnf and some other things about new management, including the occasional deletions of some posts, and not too much communications vs the old ownership, especially soon after the sale.

NP was getting even more burned out over all of that and also having to suddenly make more defensive posts and pm's too, and even more often.

It also appears NP may have been personally upset that he was not offered an ownership interest in DNF or at least some monetary compensation for all his time and effort. NP likely became very bitter about that, thinking he contributed more to DNF success than anyone (which he likely did), but could not share in its success.

Finally, NP also realized most of his domains were unfortunately not good and really had basically zero value. I personally looked at several dozen of NP's domains and did not see any with even reg fee value. Sometimes he did have some real good ones (like Flowers.org or GIF.org) but he sold them too quickly, for believed to be somewhat low prices. Sorry to say, except for a few notable exceptions most all of NP's domains were worthless, but he probably did not fully realize this until late in the game

If you combine all of the above one can easily see why he would let his names expire, disappear, and totally drop out of the business, especially if those rumors of poor health also were correct. This is all only an opinion and I could easily be wrong about some or all of this, but think this is the most likely scenario.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
looks like pool got the domain...

i just hope that whoever gets it didnt just go for it to benefit from nicks (possible but likely) misfortune and that they were looking to hold it for him or maybe just to preserve nicks legacy.

i had the snap and was intending a holding page in the hope that perhaps it might bring some closure to the issue of nicks whereabouts.

and for all the speculation based on what happened, based on his demeanour and private talks he had with a number of members whom he was a friend not someone out to make money from them in any way then i believe he was physically challenged and as he told many of us before his disappearance he was extremely sick (the thread where he lightheartedly asks about selling his little toe on ebay still troubles me because of this).

to this end (and as i have experienced first hand this month with the passing of my cousin who's cancer deteriorated so quickly i was talking to him as usual on msn one evening and then a few hours later he was rushed to a hospice for pain control to ease his last two weeks on this earth which left him comfortable but unable to even communicate properly) you dont always get chances to tie up your affairs as you would like and even if you know it is coming it can still catch you unawares. so the wild flights of fancy are entertaining and i'm sure were nick here he would find this thread as worrying but at the same time light-hearted to his own tastes but at the same time theres only so far you can take it before it hits the realms of bad taste.

i ask if it was indeed a member here that they do the right thing with nicks domain and put up a message asking for nick or anyone with information as to nicks current condition (if he safe? has he passed away?) to contact any of nicks friends on dnforum.

it will truly sicken me to see a ppc page appear on the domain if it was in fact picked up by a member here, considering nicks contribution to this very forum every member here is owing to nick never the opposite way around.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it's one of two things. 1. Namepopper died and he's already bought up all the 1, 2 and 3 letter .coms and sex.com in heaven or 2. He's assumed another identity and has forged similar friendships he had as Namepopper. He could have started a parallel identity while he was still around as Namepopper. Enough time has passed that if he was still alive someone would have heard from him. This community was a big part of his life and I don't think he would abandon it unless he died. None of us can escape death.

UKPro

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nick was not in good shape - but you can tell that he loved life. Clearly he would not "change of identity" or dissappear intentionally. It is likely that this relates to health, but there is always the chance that if he has not passed, he will be back in time. Let's hope that wherever he is, he makes a full recovery and we hear from him soon.
http://www.dnjournal.com/columns/coverstory4.htm

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ukpro i think its been established that nick was using an alias. not that this would detract from anything else you said but it would explain lack of an obituary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom