Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Nameservers sharing IP adresses??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DotDealers

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can you assign more than one domain to a nameserver? Why I am asking is I have a client that runs a domain registration business through a reseller progam. The registrar offers domain parking showing the client as the registrar, but if you look at the whois, it shows the actual registrars name in the nameserver. He does not want his registrar's nameserver to appear in the whois lookup, so he was wondering if he could register another nameserver and point it to the same IP addresses.

Is that possible, and if it is... is there a good IP Lookup system out there? I tried NSI's and Internic's, both with no results.

Thanks,

Doug

Domain summit 2024
J

jimb

Well,

Its pretty easy to set up a nameserver, all you really have to do is set up ns.yourname.com and have it point to a dedicated IP.

Now, I have a whois that I use, its here: CLICK HERE

Check that out, if you want the cgi script I can give it to you.

Jim

DotDealers

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Jim,

I know how to set one up. I was wondering if more than one domain name can be registered to the same IP address???

Thanks,

Doug

Sounds possible to me Doug - although it couldn't be a registered nameserver (i.e. in the root server itself). It just depends if there are checks run when the nameservers are entered into the domain record at the registrar as some check if its a registered nameserver and others don't.

Also, remember that if there is a problem with the nameserver holding the zone file of the new nameservers domain then all the domains that use the new nameserver will stop working. Whereas if its registered, its in the root server itself so independent of nameserver problems.

Its kind of a moot point if its the same nameserver doing both though.

Originally posted by DotDealers
Can you assign more than one domain to a nameserver? Why I am asking is I have a client that runs a domain registration business through a reseller progam. The registrar offers domain parking showing the client as the registrar, but if you look at the whois, it shows the actual registrars name in the nameserver. He does not want his registrar's nameserver to appear in the whois lookup, so he was wondering if he could register another nameserver and point it to the same IP addresses.

Is that possible, and if it is... is there a good IP Lookup system out there? I tried NSI's and Internic's, both with no results.

Thanks,

Doug

For that you need 4 IPs (2 for the NS1/NS2 and 2 for the masked DNS). So your ns1.masked.com / ns2.masked.com would show up in the WHOIS, which are aliases for the ns1.yourdomainhost.com / ns2.yourdomainhost.com

Call them up and ask for that feature.

J

jimb

Originally posted by timechange

Call them up and ask for that feature.

You dont even need to ask them for masking, you really just need to ask for 4 ip addresses. Then, you should be able to set up additional sites if you are granted access (i like telnet) and then just create domain names/sub domanis like ns1.blahblah.com and the have the IPs point to the sub domains with an A-Record in the DNS Management.

Thats basically the gist of things.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators