Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Namewinner & newdentity

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaadMaax

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Is namewinner working for anyone lately? seems like any name added to the list at Namewinner is taken by sister co. of dotster newdentity.com and is registered by the same person in china!

Anyone notice this??

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Namewinner got me two names this month. I just started using them and I was skeptical at first, but no problems here.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes MaadMaax, I noticed two 'pending' labels for two names at NameWinner this week that newidentity grabbed for the guy you're referring to, but they both had bid amounts of zero at NW ??? What gives ?

MaadMaax

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
When i email Namewinner, they do not reply.

1) If the name was overbid, i never got a email to counter.

2) If the name shows pending and the min amount is the min bid obviously i won it. Since i have pointed this explanation out to them, they've changed all the pending amounts to Zero. So you have no proof.

Me smelling a rat!

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dotster's Namewinner is dead man. Didn't you see the signs 3 months ago?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been warning others about poorly maintained websites such as Namewinner for a long time. Not based on ever dealing with them myself or being a client, but mostly based on their very poor website. Every time I checked in the past few mos many pages and links within the site failed, giving various errors, mostly Page Not Found, including the very important list of names which oddly always failed for a number of months :rolleyes:

Any company who would tolerate such a poorly functioning website and never fix it after months go by and many complaints is very likely not a good firm to deal with. It's far from surprising others here are now complaining about poor cust service from them.

Even SnapNames (who I think is a good firm and does a good job overall getting some expired names) has frequent problems with their website (but not nearly as severe as namewinner) for a long time, mostly involving their Whois lookups failing most all the time on names reg'd at NetSol. I have asked them about this many times and they simply brush it off as an anomaly (which it is not).

P.S. This post was made earlier in error on an Expirefish thread. I am reprinting it here on the correct thread.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Their forum is also weird. Previous posts keep disappearing all the time.

I was an early user of Namewinner, and the number of weird error messages I got after committing my credit card details was weird.

Weird.

MaadMaax

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If Namewinner is dead, then how come good names are being picked up by sister site newdentity, and almost 99% going to a single person in china?

Pick a drop list and randomly select a name that dropped last week you'll see the same person, same registrar.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now, you don't want me to get into a libel suit do you?:D

If I were to answer your question from my head, that would be damning to Dotster. So I'll pass.

MaadMaax:

Could you please provide an example for us lazy folks who don't want to look through the drop lists? I'm curious about who the guy in China is.

thanks

MaadMaax

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
do a whois on this domain
ALDEANET.COM

you'll see who it is, then do a little bit of diggin in the drop lists. You'll see what i'm talking about.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, you are absolutely right. I wonder if the guy is trying to become another Ultsearch.

I think it's interesting that at the bottom of the Newdentity whois record it says "Register a domain name at www.dotster.com." Not just a Dotster partner like I had assumed, but actually Dotster in another incarnation?

MaadMaax

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Newdentity, Namewinner, Dotster all are same company.

If you email newdentity about drops they'll say "Go to namewinner"

A while back Dotster worked with RegTek to register drops for NW customers, but RegTek was a separate company from Dotster except for their NW partnership. I thought Newdentity was just some new registrar that had partnered with Dotster in a similar way. I hadn't realized that Dotster and Newdentity are apparently one and the same company, just with two separate accreditations.

MaadMaax

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think newdentity is a new ICANN accredited, what they seem to be doing is using Dotster's. Newdentity is just a another company of dotster.

If you have a dotster a/c you can login using newdentity, you'll come to dotster page.

The Question here i think is, Why are Namewinner clients not getting their names and newdentity person getting them all?

if you are a Namewinner client should you worry about loosing your name to the person getting them on newdentity?

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MaadMaax
If the name shows pending and the min amount is the min bid obviously i won it. Since i have pointed this explanation out to them, they've changed all the pending amounts to Zero. So you have no proof.

I hope this isn't true because I have a great domain name that is currently "Pending" on my account. I guess I'll know in a day or two.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was monitoring a name registered with Dotster with 1,200 inwards links that had expired last month and it looked as though the registrant wasn't going to renew.

When I entered the name into my Watch List at Dotster's NameWinner site a couple of weeks ago, it had a $25 bid amount and a pending label, which has remained the same up to today.

Over that period of time I've been trying to place a bid for the name, but have always received a note that the name is already registered.

To cut a long story short, the name dropped last night and SnapNames grabbed it for me. But what mystifies me is why NameWinner wouldn't allow bidding for one of its own names, as it would have had the best chance of grabbing it because it would have been in charge of the time it would be released back into the pool?

But maybe the best way to look at it is that Dotster is being above board and isn't trying to misuse its position as a registrar to grab back names it already has in its stable.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that some of you guys on the one hand don't want WLS to pass, and on the other bitch and complain about the current exipration swindles.
So what do you want ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators