Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Namewinner & newdentity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Expired domain names cheap :sigh:

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nic, right now I’m ambivalent on the whole WLS issue as I’m rapidly losing interest in drops because I’ve finally realized – and this is a personal view - the returns don’t match the investment of time needed to catch good names. I’d rather spend that time developing revenue-generating websites, as each hour spent in this pursuit will have a return to show for it.

I’ve got eight SnapBacks left, two of which are simply protecting my own names. If the WLS proceeds and SnapNames is fast enough to secure WLS’s on most of them, I’ll probably score two maybe three very good names as they currently don’t resolve and their owners aren’t likely to renew.

But if the WLS is given the thumbs down by ICANN, I’ve then got to contend with BD, Ult and the rest of you – well, those who are on the ball anyway ;^) - at drop time, and so I’ll get maybe only one of the good names.

My chances are obviously better with the WLS, but from a standpoint of fair competition, I would prefer not to see the WLS proceed.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fizz

My chances are obviously better with the WLS, but from a standpoint of fair competition, I would prefer not to see the WLS proceed.

I agree. WLS is better if you have only a few names you are eyeing and concentrate on them during the FCFS.

You are making the assumption that SnapNames will be a major player in the WLS startup, and grab your names for you. I would say that is a very major assumption.

I would not assume that SnapNames will end up with any major position in the WLS startup.

-t

domingo

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
newdentity.com is a simple dotster affiliate. How they get names, is something you pro's have to decide

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt
You are making the assumption that SnapNames will be a major player in the WLS startup, and grab your names for you. I would say that is a very major assumption. I would not assume that SnapNames will end up with any major position in the WLS startup.

If the WLS goes ahead I am absolutely confident that Snap would get WLS’s on the majority of the names I currently have as SnapBacks.

For the simple reason that the SB’s I currently have are very good names to me personally, but not many others would be thinking about those names at the moment, including BuyDomains, UltSearch et al.

It’s only when NetSol names go into the purge cycle and the drop lists come out that many people spot good names to go for that they wouldn’t have thought about before.

Many folks wrongly accord the ‘Big Guys’ almost superhuman powers and claim they’d get all the best WLS’s, which is a fallacy. They cannot cover all bases because of the astronomical cost – and risk - this would require.

I oppose the WLS on the grounds of its monopolistic nature, not because I fear the Big Guys would grab all the WLS’s.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A natural, drug-free cure for insomnia, LOL

Originally posted by Nic
Seems to me that some of you guys on the one hand don't want WLS to pass, and on the other bitch and complain about the current exipration swindles.
So what do you want ??

Best of Both World! :laugh:

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the world I am from, we cannot get the "best of both worlds". :)

Originally posted by Nic
Unfortunately the world I am from, we cannot get the "best of both worlds". :)

You just have to pay for it. See how Bill Gates pay Steve Jobs and get the best of both worlds.

MaadMaax

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Newdentity is not a dotster affiliate. It is owned by dotster. It seems they are hedging their bets with namewinner and newdentity names.

Recently, Namewinner has sucked at getting names , i think it's 'coz they're using newdentity to get all the names listed on Namewinner to one particular person in china. This practice is what i'm trying to question dotster about.

1) You put a domain on namewinner
2) The name is seen by dotster
3) The name is registered via newdentity
for the chinese person.

So you are a consumer are getting ripped off. It is ironic that Dotser is bitching about "competetition" in WLS while they are out here scewing their customers.

I have written to dotster numerous times asking for a explanation. They have yet to reply. Until they reply I will assume they are out there ripping my research/names.

Now I'm no lawyer, but one thing you might want to be careful of MaadMaax, is separation of speculation and statements of fact.

Defamation extends to the cyber world as well as the world of print and broadcast media.

You might want to pay a visit to http://www.cyberlibel.com just for the education.

-t

ps I run another forum and we were pulled into a libel case over a series of postings that we failed to edit as a moderated forum... It did not go to court, but it did cost us in attorney's fees.

MaadMaax

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
As you can read in my post, it's based on my research and my experiences, and i have said until they do not reply to me, i will "ASSUME" that my research is being ripped off.

I would recommend other namewinner users to see where their names have gone for the past two weeks and let them judge.

Say what you want Maax. I just thought I would point out that there is a difference between opinion on what someone is doing, and statements that claim you are being ripped off by illegal business practices. One is opinion and speculation, the other is libel - and you may be asked to prove it in court.

-t

Domain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt
ps I run another forum and we were pulled into a libel case over a series of postings that we failed to edit as a moderated forum... It did not go to court, but it did cost us in attorney's fees.

On what basis did they attempt to make a claim against you. As an operator of a forum, are you responsible for what others may say? Although I cannot point to them, it seems like there are laws that protect internet service providers from statements made by others. (Perhaps Dan can speak to this)

What caused you to use a lawyer? Did you do it because they had a case or because you didn't want to risk not responding.

Just curious

We moderate the forum and remove posts that are "improper" in the context of the topics discussed on the forum.

When anyone on an online forum does this, they qualify as an Editor of the information, and are no longer an ISP.

This link talks about the liability of a website owner
http://www.cyberlibel.com/libel.html#Number 8

We engaged a lawyer because we were named as a party in a slander suit - simple as that. In our case the issue was resolved outside of court and we were not found to have been an accomplish or neglegent as forum administrators. We were still out the legal fees of course :(

-t

Domain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, I reviewed the link.

Are you saying that once you become a moderator, you become responsible and a claimant can make the following assumption about you?

"they or their agents knew that the material was defamatory or"

"they or their agents had reason to be suspicious that some or all of the material was defamatory. The nature and previous history of the newsgroup or mailing group where the defamatory material was posted, the previous history of the person posting the message, and reading the defamatory material are all factors which might spark the suspicions of network owners and/or operators."

So, would it be best not to moderate a forum to cover yourself legally?

Except that if you don't moderate the forum, you can then be named as neglegent...

I'm not sure there is any way to completely remove yourself from potential liability, but it's worth noting that the main defendant in these things is the poster, not the board owner/moderator - though co-named can also cost you money...

-t

MaadMaax

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This board is moderated by quite a few knowledgeable folks, I would leave it to them to edit what they see fit.

The purpose of these boards are for people to share knowledge. If everyone starts to worry about lible, and start to practice self censorship, i think that will see the end of free speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators