Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Namewinner....

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just recently went back to namewinner to ckeck it out and have a weird question....

I bid on a name and it says I am the highest bidder for that name after the bidding time closes... then I get an email telling me I am now eleigible to bid for the name again.... what was the point in being the high bodder in the first place?

anyone know?

does everyone that bids get the 72 hour extended auction period?

-=DCG=-

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually worse:

Any person who placed a bid before 10:00AM on the day of the drop is eligible to bid during the extended period. Any new bidders who have not previously made a bid before 10:00AM on the day of the drop can buy into the auction for a fee of $50. If that bidder wins the name the $50 fee will be applied to the final bid amount.

Source: http://www.namewinner.com/biddingprocess.php

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
didn't namewinnner die of stupidity yet?

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
not that stupid.
wanted to encourage all bidders to bid if they were interested to know where to focus their resources on?

Makes sense to me.

Penalize ones who dont bid first..

lukeeales

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I won a domain on NW and it got registered to an Italian site. There's a button in the corner to change the langauge to English, but on most pages it doesn't work. Replies to my emails are answered in awful english, as if they used a free online translator. Pissed.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO the use of these lousy registrars is a threat to the entire expiring domains industry. I think it is playing into the pro-WLS faction's hands. No one wants to get stuck in these places where you can't access your domains for months (if ever) after you pay for them. It is going to raise a public outcry from customers who are being victimized and Verisign can claim that WLS will put an end to this nonsense. Using these registrars make the drop companies look horribly greedy - caring only about getting the names and selling them for a huge profit with NO regard for what happens to their customers who get stuck with these fly-by-night backwater registrars. I have been waiting for close to two months to get log in information from some of these outfits for domains I bought from drop services. ICANN needs to step in and make these registrars shape up - or decertify them.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yeah, what he said :-D

in all seriousness, if this awful trend continues, they should drop the 60 moratorium on transfers so we can strike while the iron is hot and get them out quickly

Duke said:
IMO the use of these lousy registrars is a threat to the entire expiring domains industry. I think it is playing into the pro-WLS faction's hands. No one want to get stuck in these places where you can't access your domains for months (if ever) after you pay for them. It is going to raise a public outcry from customers who are being victimized and Verisign can claim that WLS will put an end to this nonsense. Using these registrars make the drop companies look horribly greedy - caring only about getting the names and selling them for a huge profit with NO regard for what happens to their customers who get stuck with these fly-by-night backwater registrars. I have been waiting for close to two months to get log in information from some of these outfits for domains I bought from drop services. ICANN needs to step in an make these registrars shape up - or decertify them.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have said the story before, but I cant stop saying it, so here it goes again.
last year, I got a name through pool, with some registrar in Japan.
I emailed them, and got a few replies in Japanese. I tired my best to translate them, but it didnt work.
I then translated my own email to Japanese and sent it to them. Anyhow after a couple of months and many Japanese emails, I finally was able to unlock the domain to initialize a transfer.
Only to be sent what I assume to be a confirmation email in , you guessed it, Japanese.
I followed the link and saw 2 boxes.
I used Pure Greek based Aristotelian logic, and assumed the first box was to deny the transfer, as they would probably have that first to keep me there, and clicked the second box, and then clicked on a button which I assume was a submit button.

Anyhow, the domain eventually made it to Enom, so I guess I chose right...
I wonder... Are there any Klingon based registrars yet? I am sure pool would love to use them.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
Are there any Klingon based registrars yet? I am sure pool would love to use them.

They already are....beam me up Scotty :cheesy:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
IMO the use of these lousy registrars is a threat to the entire expiring domains industry....get stuck in these places where you can't access your domains for months (if ever) after you pay for them.

Actually Duke this has already has proven negative toward the industry as far as my expiring domain dealings go. One of the primary reasons I decided to stop playing the drop game and no longer even look at the daily Pool emails is the crap registrars they use.

I have roughly a few dozen names (many of which are expiring soon, some within days), where I find it impossible to control the names. i.e. website is poorly done with non-functioning pages, some features do not work, unable to login, can't change nameservers, unable to do passwrd recovery, unlock fails, no easy way to get transfer away auth codes, all emails to tech supt are ignored, etc.

This BS involves mostly several Pool registrars located in Asia. However, a few of them are also little known U.S. firms too. Right now I am dealing with a firm in India who ignores all attempts to contact them re that mid-3-figure Pool domain I won. Login information Pool gave me 6 mos ago does not work anymore and passwrd recovery also does not work. Similar things with Japanese and a Korean firm too (and a couple 3nd rate US ones also).

There is no way I will ever do business with Pool again and take the chance I will get a schlock registrar and deal with all the hassle and perhaps lose the name or be unable to change nameservers.

Unfortunately, I seriouslly doubt anything will be done about this by ICANN or anyone else for that matter. It would be great if this was publicized in DNJ.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
real,
you should tell us the names of these registrars.
You should also contact pool, Icann, and the rest of the world.
Enough is enough!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
It would be great if this was publicized in DNJ.

It's in the works. This has to stop for the good of the industry. I don't think buyers are going to continue to accept it. The drop companies DO NOT want to see WLS, but by using these crappy "registrars" and completely alienating customers, they are going end up handing the whole shooting match over to Verisign. I don't think they realize what a dangerous game they are playing with the future of their own businesses.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
real, you should tell us the names of these registrars. You should also contact pool, Icann, and the rest of the world. Enough is enough!

It's actually not too easy even getting their correct names. It seems like a few of them operate under different identities or subsidiary names, where the name in Whois is different than the name I know them by, and even different than the name Pool knows them by.

The firm in India is known as SignDomains.com. I will post the other names once I am sure of their correct identities, for example the Japanese one seems to operate under a few different names, perhaps subsidiaries?

Not sure if contacting ICANN will help. A few times I spoke to Public Interest Registry (they run the dot-org registry) about complaints involving org transfer issues and non-responding registrars. All I got was the runaround and lots of hassle, and was finally told there is nothing they can do so I gave up with them.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
amazing!
I have at least 2 names at signdomains , I left them there thinking they are ok.
I tell you, people have to KNOW about these things.

Paranoid as I am now, I will try to get my names out of there.
Pool sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom