Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Need advice on buying a domain please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AveUgotaWkdSide

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know of a .com site thats gets around 1000 unique hits per day. I can get the same domain but with .co.uk. Before I do I would like some advice as I am new to domains and this would be my first one. I am only 16 so really need the advice from people with experience. I think I will park the domain. Do you think this would be a worth while purchase? Many Thanks Josh

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First of all, are there possible trademark issues with the domain you are contemplating ?
Second and obvious point, the .co.uk would get (type-in) traffic only if the name is widely known in the UK.
If you were to reg youtube.co.uk for example, obviously it would get loads of traffic :)

AveUgotaWkdSide

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well the website is a large forum based website, not to sure if there would be trademark issues

The domain is also avaliable in .us, what would be more profitable .us or .co.uk?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you want to park your domain must have traffic. It's unlikely that a fresh registration will get significant natural traffic.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the us extension is used a lot less than the uk extentision imho in fact for typeins the us extension is pretty weak

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Look at google keyword tool and choose UK before you search the keywords in the domain. If people search the keywords in the domain in the UK at least about 1000 times (exact search), may be good idea but if not , it would be waste of money. I doubt it because it is a forum.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not necessirily. There are still good keywords domains available for reg.

AveUgotaWkdSide

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I done what James said and when I typed in the keyword it gave me 27,100 exact 'Global Monthly Search Volume'. Would this be a good investment to get the .co.uk?

???

Last edited:

steveto

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would stick with .com's for now until you have a better understanding of the dynamics of domain names. If I were you..at least at the beginning, go for .com and IF you notice a popular name, keyword or generic that isn't registered...you could go for another TLD.

AveUgotaWkdSide

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So your basically saying I would get enough traffic to make a profit if I parked it? Man it is hard to get a decent first domain

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
27,100 EXACT google result only in UK or worldwide? If uk only, not bad. It is not thousand of dollars. It is only a few dollars. Why not tries it? If it is not TM related, it would probably be ok.

AveUgotaWkdSide

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How could i tell if it was TM related? And yes I change the region to the UK

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How could i tell if it was TM related? And yes I change the region to the UK

before you go spending money regging .co.uk domains, you should seek advice from those who know about them

you can't just transfer the same criteria that may used to reg a .com domain and apply it to a cctld, thinking you will be successful.

AveUgotaWkdSide

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, your help is greatly appreciated! Maybe you could help me with the domain I just sent you in another PM. Thanks aZooZa for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators