Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Need Domain Lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chiller

I need some advice from a domain lawyer.

There is a domain that I am trying to buy. I just found out the the domain owner passed away 2 years ago. This domain is still registered in his name.

I assume that his closest relatives would assume ownership of the domain. I would rather pay them for the domain, than see the domain expire.

I am willing to pay someone to help me out. Is there a good way to go about doing this?

I am willing to pay a $5,000 bonus if they can successfully help me purchase the domain

Thanks.

HOWARD

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have much difficulty negotiating this purchase. I'll be glad to assist. I don't charge a fee, but DO get a commission depending upon the amount of the sale. Email me to DISCUSS THE DETAILS.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"I assume that his closest relatives would assume ownership of the domain."

That's not a certain assumption by any means. It might depend on what country the registrant was living in, what was the TLD and registrar, whether he left a will, and whether the law of the relevant jurisdiction recognizes a domain name registration as a descendable (by intestacy) or devisable (by will) asset.

In the case of a .com domain name, for example, the registrar MAY have a policy in place to deal with deceased registrants, or the registrar may not. In the absence of such a policy, it is by no means certain that the registrar would recognize what amounts to a transfer of the domain name by, for example, a will.

There is a silly debate over whether domain names are "property", which has something of the air of a religious debate, and is just as irrelevant to most real world issues. There is no one right or interest known as "property". We use the word "property" to refer to a grab bag of various rights and interests that one might have in something. (for the longer version of this rant, see
http://www.open-rsc.org/essays/berryhill/property/ )

Most registrars take the position that a domain name registration is a personal service contract between the registrar and the registrant, and is non-assignable. While practically all registrars will permit a novation of that contract (i.e. where a new party assumes the prior party's place), you will note that most .com registration contracts have an express non-assignability clause. The reason for this clause is to prevent registrars from becoming involved in bankruptcy, contract, or, yes, probate disputes with persons other than the one who registered the domain name.

Let's say, for example, that your dead registrant had registered the domain name for use in a business where he is a partner with someone else, and that the business has accrued a trademark interest in the domain name. I would imagine that the partner would be quite surprised indeed to find out that the domain name, which had been registered and used as a joint asset of the partnership, is suddenly the subject of claims from the registrant's heirs. It is precisely this kind of problem which the registrars seek to avoid in the non-assignability clause of the domain name registration contract.

To give another example, let's say your registrant had not died, but instead had gone bankrupt. Do the registrant's creditors obtain possession of the domain name as they would any other assets of the registrant? The State of Virginia says they do not.

Before you begin negotiating with people who may or may not be at all relevant to whether you can obtain registration of the domain name, you will first want to consider the law of the jurisdiction where this person passed away, the law of the jurisdiction of the registrar, and whether the registrar has any specific policies for dealing with this kind of situation. Even in the absence of a specific registrar policy, the executor or administrator of the estate may be able to get away with requesting a modification of the domain registration and provide a copy of the appropriate court document granting or recognizing the administrative powers of the executor. But before you sign a check made out to anyone, you had better be certain that person is in practical control of the domain name, even if the legal situation is unclear.

HOWARD

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In this instance, the domain is owned by a corporation, so it doesn't matter if the contact died. You need to contact the corporate officers and negotiate for the domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom