Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.Net may have a lot more of a value in the near future!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Copy & Pasted from Afternic newsletter

---------------------------------------------------
April is the cruelest month.

Eliot wasn’t referring to tax time or the loss of a precious hour to daylight savings, but as New York’s first thunderstorm of the spring drums out the winter that never was, an ironic gloom is definitely settling in.

I blame April Fools’ Day, at least as it related to the domain world this year. If you don’t regularly check ICANNWatch, you may have missed the deadpan announcement that ICANN had moved its headquarters to Geneva over Easter weekend.

No less earnest was the report that Microsoft had agreed to purchase VeriSign, partly to gain control of the .net registry and fold the domain into its own .net initiative. I swallowed my gum. But as I thought about it, the idea became less funny. With fewer than 4 million registrations, .net may be the most underused, most versatile gTLD. I’m genuinely surprised that .net has yet to catch hold in the namespace. It’s under appreciated and under marketed. A company like Microsoft could certainly correct the latter.

Until then, .net may hold some of the best investment opportunities out there. Good luck.

I have some very decent, one word .Net domain names. So all I have to say is:
God bless Microsoft :cry:

Domain summit 2024

.Net which was originally provided for networks (like ISPs etc) has had some really decent names valued accordingly. I am surprised people are waking up right now with a newly valued .net

It may be that Microsoft chose .Net to be its new technology but I find it funny that they are trying to tie two unrelated things together. Reminds me when everyone was registering domains with XP in them.

Care to post some .net names you have, MC ?

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't have many domains in my collection, nevermind .NET's.
But I am stocking up on them these past two months:

funded.net
youths.net
invited.net
masses.net
merged.net
phpsoftware.net
bestwebsite.net
J-Lo.net

Originally posted by timechange

It may be that Microsoft chose .Net to be its new technology but I find it funny that they are trying to tie two unrelated things together. Reminds me when everyone was registering domains with XP in them.

Care to post some .net names you have, MC ?

Good post, I don't really figure how microsoft's new stratergies will impact on resale prices, or business awareness of .net which is a dying extension.

Anyone care to explain?

How do you figure .net is a dying domain extension? Is this based solely on it's domain speculator value? We still register many hundreds of these domains to real sites every month - many with much more interesting names than you can buy today in .com.

-t

Originally posted by thewitt
How do you figure .net is a dying domain extension? Is this based solely on it's domain speculator value? We still register many hundreds of these domains to real sites every month - many with much more interesting names than you can buy today in .com.

-t

I can't really think of an sites off the top of my head using .net except whois.net. The extension is becoming more meaningless as time goes, especially with new similar extensions coming out, .info and possibly .web.

There is just nothing to differentiate it. In fact .org selling prices now seem to be higher than .net.

J

jimb

Originally posted by snoopy

I can't really think of an sites off the top of my head using .net except whois.net. The extension is becoming more meaningless as time goes, especially with new similar extensions coming out, .info and possibly .web.

There is just nothing to differentiate it. In fact .org selling prices now seem to be higher than .net.

Doesnt Microsoft have a new service for businesses called .NET? I mean, it could bring some business back into the .NET area.

Jim

vialli

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whats wrong with .net - Nothing in my opinion especially when all the .com's are taken.

For example BestWAP.com gone but BestWAP.net wasn't until i regged it.

In my opinion BestWAP.net as in Best WAP Network is pretty strong.

HAving said this its only one personal example, I am sure there are more, but a he end of the day in most instances .com remains king.

For decent value domain sales, its not your taste that matters - its the end users taste.

They seem to be set in their ways with .com and I can't see that changing with any of the current alternatives.

.NET has always been appealing to telecom industry customers. But lots of hobbyists use it; sometimes despite the .COM is available!

True, but hobbyists aren't reknowned for buying domains at the higher price levels.

Originally posted by MC Juice
Copy & Pasted from Afternic newsletter

April is the cruelest month.

Eliot wasn’t referring to tax time or the loss of a precious hour to daylight savings, but as New York’s first thunderstorm of the spring drums out the winter that never was, an ironic gloom is definitely settling in.

I blame April Fools’ Day, at least as it related to the domain world this year. If you don’t regularly check ICANNWatch, you may have missed the deadpan announcement that ICANN had moved its headquarters to Geneva over Easter weekend.

No less earnest was the report that Microsoft had agreed to purchase VeriSign, partly to gain control of the .net registry and fold the domain into its own .net initiative. I swallowed my gum. But as I thought about it, the idea became less funny. With fewer than 4 million registrations, .net may be the most underused, most versatile gTLD. I’m genuinely surprised that .net has yet to catch hold in the namespace. It’s under appreciated and under marketed. A company like Microsoft could certainly correct the latter.

Until then, .net may hold some of the best investment opportunities out there. Good luck.

I have some very decent, one word .Net domain names. So all I have to say is:
God bless Microsoft :cry:

.net

has just begun to scratch the surface of it's worth..

with the expansion of BroadBand technology.. the handhelds..
the palm devices.. folks will be live24hrs.. AnytimeAnywhere

and it's NETWORKS which are gonna keep this seamed together

and that's the .net

DataVoiceMail.net
DataVoiceHost.net

i got the .com's too..

but in these name cases.. the NET rules.

4sure

Personally I set my limits to 2 words, no matter what. My ONLY exception (laugh freely)

HOMELANDSECURITYADVISORYSYSTEM.COM

Originally posted by snoopy

yae.. all those extension's are coming out.. your right.. and it's a big mad mess..
but it works for their 'purpose'

to shed less light on the .nets (in MS case) and focus on the hoopLa of the .us .biz .whatever..

those .net's are on a train..

that has not left the station yet.

better get your ticket.

.NET = NETwork

But a network can be anything; in the old technological sense, or in the new social networking sense. It's more grandeur than .ORG

Originally posted by safesys
For decent value domain sales, its not your taste that matters - its the end users taste.

They seem to be set in their ways with .com and I can't see that changing with any of the current alternatives.

yes.. the end user's behaviour & their nature to click the .com is a valid point..

however, .net is most suited for NETWORK SERVICE PROVIDERS.. and the majority of ISP's have .net extensions.. as they are not 'e-com' retailers online.. but rather Network service providers..

so.. i see the .net being appealing to the 'target' market BUYER... moreso in this case.. then the end user..

for example.. i had dial up ISP access for several years

with Sydcom.net

I also was a part owner in a host/server biz.. in which we chose the name

GlobeHost.net vs. the .com

.net works.. i believe, when it is affixed to the 'industry' it serves.. the network service providers..

i think... it's going to skyrocket..

i really do..

but, i also agree with what your point is as well..

the end user is still programmed to key in a .com

it's the same cycle the toll free #'s went through..

800 still rules..

but.. we got all these other prefix's now..

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Off topic - I could have sworn I saw globehost.net on an expired domains list due to expire today or very soon, what a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators