Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.net without hyphen or .com with hyphen for keyword domain

hiennhan12

Reaction score
So, I want to build a new web site. The keyword gets about 22,000 searches in Google per month.

I can register the .net version without hyphen or the .com version with hypen.

What is the better option?

For ranking purposes it does not matter. I want to know, because I want to build a minisite, rank it and then sell it for HUGE profit (hopefully ;))

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thats kind of a coin toss, so why not take them both, forward the one to the other and build your site, if you can afford the reg fee for both that is.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, I want to build a new web site. The keyword gets about 22,000 searches in Google per month.

I can register the .net version without hyphen or the .com version with hypen.

What is the better option?

For ranking purposes it does not matter. I want to know, because I want to build a minisite, rank it and then sell it for HUGE profit (hopefully ;))

Hi

for one,
how can the keyword get 22k searches, when it's obviously more than 1 word.....since a hyphen choice is in question.

second, since we don't know what terms you searched or how your search was done
then we can't be sure, that the volume of searches you posted, are true for those keywords.

third point, thinking you can build a minisite on a .net or a hyphenated .com and then sell for HUGE profit, is HIGHLY unlikely.....
depending on the keywords and business model for the website.

sure, it can and has been done, but again, without knowing actual domain, then all that flys out the window.

imo....

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google changes have also made most mini-sites almost ineffective. SEO is a hard game these days. Its not 2004 anymore.

werejack

Level 3
Reaction score
hey,
Agree with the posts above and I am not an expert at search engine optimization (SEO) but from what I have read so far, one has to put in the work to see measurable results but one thing that seems to consistently come up is that relevant content is a must as if one uses tactics to get traffic and users landing on the page report that its just spam to drive traffic the website can be blocked from major search engines...
To answer the question of .com versus .net, it depends on the overall strategy you will employee for your SEO as there are many approaches and you may not be able to employ them all.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators