• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

New Markets how far should you invest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olney

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Messages
331
Reaction score
0
This month is a real turn around for the whole domaining market because I believe it's the first time that there is a lot of interest in new markets.

We have IDNs & dot Mobi

Many a domainer will disagree if it's wise to invest or not but many feel it's better to invest in something new than to keep going down the winding road of trying to find a somethingthatsoundsok.com

So how far should people invest?

Many see it as a chance to get a premium domain that will turn a profit later. An investment is just that something to try to increase your revenue.

With IDNs we have multiple languages & even new extensions being added.

No matter the language I suggest members to stick to commercial generics.

With mobis we're already seeing things that don't make sense on a cellphone.

So how far do you guys think people should invest in new markets?
This isn't a thread trying to knock new markets more of a friendly discussion.

I looked through DNF the other day & saw posts from members from over 3 years ago. Some had invested in domains that are pulling over XXX,XXX that I know would have been looked at as questionable 4 or 5 years ago.

I myself am not going to look down on any market I haven't researched.

How far do you think those who see the potential should invest?
 
Olney,

Good debating point.

I think many long term domainers have become 'blinkered', they forget that ten years ago they were leading a revolution just as ccTLD's and IDN's are today. I am not saying either is right, but marketing and advertising should now become paramount in analysing 'possible' future trends.

In any market investigation you have 'low', 'medium', and 'high' risk, the amount that should be invested is dependant on your requirements of your portfolio. Many investors look for a mix of low/medium/high investments, which gives security and chance, the more high risk investment the higher possibility of profit/loss. It is what you want or can afford your portfolio to be like that matters.

The .mobi has shown that certain suffixes do have potential, but as your post showed this has already caused some to register what would seem unwise domain names. Look around and see what makes sense, then invest for what you want and only what you can afford.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom