Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld New MYID Auction - Working or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionfish

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The MyID.ca auction is covered in today's DnJournal lowdown:

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2008/dailyposts/10-08-08.htm

MyID.ca's latest online Canadian (.ca) online domain auction is underway and will continue until 1pm (Eastern Standard Time) tomorrow (Oct. 9). More than 150 .ca domains are up for grabs including Single.ca, Lesbian.ca, Payment.ca, Races.ca, Shipment.ca, HomeBusiness.ca and Swimsuits.ca. Lesbian.ca has already met its reserve and the current bid is $20,000.

You can sign up to bid in the auction here: http://auction.myid.ca/biddereligibility.php and the auction itself can be found at http://auction.myid.ca.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Looks like... 8 out of 166 domains sold at MYID auction.

That's 5% ...not good.

Kamloops

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Reserves were high on a lot of names, maybe even on my own. How do you see the final results anyways?

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just by watching it... I dont think there is a spot yet.. that would be nice though.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Even if you are allowed to accept the highest bid. I assume the buyer has to accept it also. His bid isn't binding since the auction did not meet reserve.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not just this auction but all auctions:

What is the advantage of hidden reserves???

...why not just start the bidding at sellers reserve price ... if there is a bid it goes to auction and the highest bid wins the domain.

any input would be nice...thanks

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Apparently stewie. If people know reserves they are more likely to contact the users after the auction and then MYID doesn't get commission. That's what they told me...but i don't buy it.

Putting a starting price will probably get people to not put ridiculous reserves. That way you actually get some bidding going on.

ianccc

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a Bid is a Bid - they committed to the price and signed the MyID agreement - not sure if the close of the auction negates this?

Even eBay has the last chance offer for sellers

so if any shenanigans are going on congrats you own it...........:))

Last edited:

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
ian, that's not how it works. If i am bidding on a domain, and i know there is a reserve..and it does not meet reserve. I do not have to pay the price i put. Reserve was not met, plain and simple.

Just like LionFish said before...if you have a budget...you may go after a different name that does meet reserve. Why should i have to pay for a name that didn't meet its reserve now?

This was basically my point before though...to rule out funky bids...starting price should be your reserve price. How many names got bids and did not meet reserves? Give me a break!

Last edited:

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
theinvestor is correct I accepted a bid on a previous auction and it had to be re-approved by the bidder as they could have spent there $ on another name. As for reserve sellers have their choice of range or exact amounts

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I set my reserves really low and got bids but none sold. I won't be offering them to the bidders. The lack of sales is obviously a symptom of the larger economy in general. The reserve levels set by many reflected a market that existed nine months ago. I'm going to renew, hold and develop to ride this out. (though online sales have slowed as well) :(

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the names that did hit reserves?

overvalued? or fairly priced?

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's been a brutal week in the stock market, lots of uncertainty and fear, so the timing of any auctions right now is unfortunate. Couldn't have been foreseen, but I think it had an effect on the outcome. There could still be some sales in the post-auction period though.

I can't believe how far the Dow has fallen, and how much billions in stock value has just evaporated. In my twenty years of market watching this has got to be the worst period I've seen. Nobody really knows how bad it's going to get, or when we'll reach the bottom. Some people like Jim Rogers had predicted this kind of scenario but it's incredible to watch it play out.

I am increasingly taking the position to focus on renewals, make the most from the names I have from all sources, and keep an eye out for distress domain sales to pick up some bargains if possible. I haven't done much fresh regging in the last month or so, and don't plan to for the near future.

This could be a period like 2001 to 2003 again where good buys in domains can be had for those sitting on cash. The internet and domains still have a good future compared to other media, so I'm still glad to be in this market.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Although i agree with you hugegrowth.
I wouldn't say that what has been selling has been a bargain.
The names in the auction were not cheap ..even the ones that sold.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to receive the names after myid auction?

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
are the final results from the MyID auction posted anywhere???

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Just to report...my first big transaction with MYID auctions went surprisingly well. It was much faster than i thought. Paid and domains pushed. Customer support by Gus is great.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good to hear :yo: congrats!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators