Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld New MYID Auction - Working or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I do not have names in the auction. Given myIDs process, I would never sell anything there. Equally, I would not expect end user sales there.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Iancc, i do not have any names in this auction..BUT i am bidding.

But i definitely will NOT be bidding on the names that are waiting for a sucker to make a bid, so they can get stuck with the name. Since, that's clearly what is going on here.

MYID should be watching who is bidding carefully. If they want the integrity of this auction to be there down the road.

My suggestion is that the auctions should start at their reserve price. These reserves that show $15000-25000 etc are a joke and there are people trying to manipulate prices to make it seem like there is interest.

lionfish

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As it stands now, there are around 40 domains with bids on them with two already having met the reserve:

graduationgifts.ca $2501 natalie.ca $450

In addition oho.ca is now at $230 and the reserve is in the range of $101-250 and so it will meet its reserve with the next bid or so.

These domains remain a bargain. Uniquegifts.ca sold in last auction for $2700 and first names have been going in the $x,xxx for resellers. Mike.ca I believe went earlier this year for $8k and so if one really grabs natalie.ca in the $xxx that would be quite an awesome deal.

Regarding the comments about sellers bidding on their domains...I think MyID has made it clear that their system does not allow that. Maybe those that have domains currenty listed can double check and see if they can:

Sellers cannot bid on their own domains.
http://auction.myid.ca/blog/some-myidca-dot-ca-auction-rules-and-procedures-to-be-aware-of.html

The bidding history on a domain auctioned will show up once the bidding period is over.

TheInvestor:

Different people have different strategies in bidding. Their not following your expected bidder behavior does not signify that they are not legitimate. I, for example, will never place a single bid before the last couple of minutes of an auction's end. Clearly, others feel different as there are already bids on 38 domains and two have already reached the reserve. Obviously at least those that reached the reserve are legitimate bids. Accordingly, you really cannot jump to conclusions and make statements such as 'This is clearly what is going on'. I for one would be interested to know how you decided the 'clearly' part. It is right (and smart) to wonder as you please but to make a 'clearly' conclusion is a different story.

I recall an earlier discussion on this forum regarding cv.ca with many wondering whether the $20k bid was real or not. Some posters even ridiculed the domain owner for having a reserve above $50k and felt it's all fake. Then domain was sold and reserve was met and you can check the whois info and see that the owner is quite legitimate.

Zoobar and Wzhxvy:

If you cannot (or do not want to) list your domains in the auction, you really should not make comments that hurt sellers chances of landing sales. This is not called for and not right. Unless of course you have your eyes set on few domains that you do not want anyone else to get :)

But even if you cannot (or do not) participate in the auction....Keep in mind that the more sales are made the more domain owners benefit. And remember what goes around comes around. At one point of time you will have something to sell on some venue and the domain sellers you are trying to hurt by your untoward comments will then be there to give you a taste of your own medicine.

Zoobar:

Both names have the same owner fyi
Again wrong statement. Do you guys even spend a second thinking about what you are posting or the wrong conclusions you are making in public? Any idea how this affects your credibility?

I checked the whois and both names are using the feature offered by MyID which they refer to as 'Advanced Seller Privacy and 100% Buyer Guarantee'. Here's from the email they sent earlier:
Sellers have the option to transfer their domains to our temp registrant and have their domains clearly marked as such in the domain list to be auctioned. What that does is protect seller's privacy, give 100% guarantee to potential buyers that a successfully auctioned domain will be transferred without issue, increase bidding confidence, and speed up the process for all involved thereby leading to sellers getting their funds earlier and buyers getting their domains quicker.

This optional 'Advanced Seller Privacy (and Buyer Guarantee)' is 100% safe (we guarantee it) and at no time jeopardizes the seller's domain ownership.

Please refer to our FAQs for more info: http://www.myid.ca/faq/dot-ca-aucti...l_advanced_seller_privacy_buyer_guarantee.php
So how did you decide they have the same owner?

but of course you would not know the above because and I quote you:
I don't have an account at the location of the auction.
So without any grasp or understanding of the matter, you go around and post here to jeopardize the chances of the sellers?

Great camaraderie here Zoobar and same goes to you Wzhxvy. Both of you are not part of the auction yet you sit here and try to negatively impact the chances of kamloops, iancc and the owners of the 150+ domains listed. Would you really like all these domain owners to invest their time and effort to destroy your chances of selling anything by posting unsubstantiated claims and false 'clear conclusions' like you are doing now?

I believe this auction has lots of gems (such as natalie.ca) at bargain prices. To all the sellers best of luck on this auction. And to all prospective buyers, please stay away from the two domains I have my eyes on :)

Last edited:

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
lionfish,

There is no strategy to bidding and not hitting reserve. Why would you want the name being shown that it has active bidders? This is only a strategy for the sellers. I did not say that these 38 domains listed here have "fake" bids. But, i do think 90% of them are not real. Again, these are my thoughts. My clearly statement was based on my thoughts. I clearly think they are fake. I hope that's better. These are my conclusions and no one elses.

So, let's see how many hit reserve at the end of the auction..and then you explain to me...how someone is willing to pay that much yet not hit reserve.

Also you can find out prior owners from domaintools. (i assume that is how zoobar determined they are the same owner)

lionfish

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TheInvestor:

There is no strategy to bidding and not hitting reserve
This statement is so painfully erroneous that I must be missing something.

1) Have you ever hear the word 'BUDGET'? How about 'VALUE'?

Every buyer has a budget and has an idea of how much a domain is worth for him/her and whether they can afford it. What makes sense to one person, does not to another.

Let me give you an example:

A buyer is interested in a number of domains currently being auctioned. She has a budget of say $27k.

One of the domains she is interested in is single.ca.

This domain has a reserve range of $25k-$35k.

She is in a bind.

If the reserve is $25k, she'll have $2k for the other domains.

If the reserve is more than $27k, she cannot get it and so has the full $27k for these domains.

As different domains end at different times with potentially some she is interested in ending before single.ca does, she does not want to miss out. So she bids on single.ca (her number one choice if she can get it) up to her limit of $27k. If reserve is not met by then, she has her answer and can concentrate on the rest.

Bad strategy? And you are who exactly to judge?

2) And for domainers there are other reasons that may not even fall in the category of value or budget.

This is what the owner of this forum said regarding CV.ca:

http://www.dnforum.com/f510/wow-cv-ca-14k-almost-4-days-go-thread-301558.html#post1466227

I don't know about others but when I place a good bid and it says hasn't hit reserve, I lose interest.
He is obviously stating that he will place a bid and if reserve is not met he will not place any more bids. And I am sure he was not the seller of cv.ca.

Or are you now suggesting that Adam has no idea how to bid or that his strategy sucks?

3) Once an auction is over, MyID will contact seller and check if he/she is agreeable to sell domain to the highest bid received. Many of their domains sold this way.

This is from their blog:

If the final bid is within 10-15% of reserve, we will make an effort to contact the seller and see if they are agreeable to sell the domain for the highest bid. It is accordingly important to be the top bidder even if reserve is not met.
This is from their first auction results:

http://auction.myid.ca/blog/first-myidca-dot-ca-auction-smash-hit.html

OffreEmplois.ca sale was finalized after the auction was over.
http://auction.myid.ca/blog/first-myidca-dot-ca-auction-smash-hit.html

Accordingly, being the top bidder has significant value even if the reserve is not met.

I can give you more and more examples.

So again your statement is so painfully wrong that I must be missing something.

Your comments highly suggest significant lack of experience in non-tbr auctions yet still you make these statements suggesting that you are an expert in your field.

Here's what you posted in the cv.ca thread:

http://www.dnforum.com/f510/wow-cv-ca-14k-almost-4-days-go-thread-301558.html#post1466091

All of them with reserves not met. Doesn't really mean much...but we'll see.
Seems you've been singing that same tune since the first MyID auction. And still CV.ca sold to an end user for $53k and the auction was a huge success.

Why all the negativity?

All that you are doing is attacking the sellers and compromising their chances of landing a sale.

You do not like a domain, do not bid on it. You think the reserve is too high, do not bid on it.

Have you ever heard of the saying 'live and let live'?

Last edited:

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
LionFish,

Maybe i should start asking you if i am allowed to have my own opinion. Is it okay with you? Can i continue to speak, without you telling me that i am inexperienced. You make comments about what i say, yet you go ahead and continue to judge others knowing nothing.

Who are you anyway? Do you know who i am? Instead of attacking members, why not state your opinion and be quiet. Please do not try and change my opinions. I am allowed to make them.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I personally have seen different bidding techniques on the domains I've listed. Some have been bid up early and others were last minute bidding.

One domain I sold didn't meet the reserve and wasn't within the 10-15% ratio but I contacted MyId and they got it sold after the auction.

Don't get me wrong there are some bids that I've seen that really shock me but no one can say their fake for certain. Gus and their team I believe to a great job at creating a fair and trustworthy system for both buyers and sellers

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would say that most people aren't going to bid on a name just because they see another person has put a bid in before the reserve is met. Most domainers in this type of auction know which names they want and know how much they are willing to pay.

I'd also add like liberator says, some bidding styles are way different than mine would be (like putting in an early bid), but some of the names bid this way have ended up getting sold. I don't know what the advantage of an early bid is, other than maybe seeing if there is any other interest right away, locking in a bid (maybe some have a proxy bid set), or seeing if the reserve is set at the low end.

Last edited:

Kamloops

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As dot CA domainers, I dont think it is right to make negative statements about the Myid auction processes and what may or may not be happening. I myself have 2 names in the auction, one with a bid that has not hit reserve and 1 with no bids. I have no idea who made the bid. I cant bid and I dont have any friends that can.

We should be supporting each other. Many of the names here are owned my fellow domainers and members here.

Its no different if I was to post a domain here for sale with a high BIN and then have other members here start slamming me and the price in the Sale thread. That would not be tolerated.

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Lionfish, you have way too much time on your hands and I do not. My statements stand.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
LionFish, i notice you love taking people's comments from other threads and then posting them here and telling people they have lack of experience.

It's time to show your outrageous comments and how little you know.

theinvestor:

"The 0.8477 figure is exceptionally high, denoting that there is a very, very strong positive relationship between movements in oil prices and movements in the value of the Canadian dollar."

LionFish:

The reality refutes your statement above : When the oil hit $147 USD, the canadian dollar was 0.98 USD Now oil is $88 USD and CAD is 0.9 Total oil loss: 40% Total canadian dollar loss: 10% What may seem to you as a no-brainer fact that you state with significant certainty, is unfortunately often incorrect. If I were you I would stay away from very strong statements as when these are wrong, they affect your credibility...

The quote above was taken from a study so i could prove a point.

The thread is here :

http://www.dnforum.com/f510/dollar-dropping-again-thread-327777.html

LionFish is proving my point and telling me that the reality refutes my statement. I might as well explain it to you here, since you're not the brightest person i've seen on here.

When Oil goes down, and canadian dollar goes down. That is a positive correlation. In your example, you gave that scenario. Then you go on to show Oil loss of 40% and canadian dollar loss of 10%. The positive correlation does not mean they are both going to drop by the same percentage. It's a positive correlation showing DIRECTION, not PERCENTAGE.

You really need to stop attacking others for their opinions and actually attack people based on FACTS and right here..you look like a complete MORON. Pardon my language, but don't tell me i have lack of experience when you just like to come on the forum and argue anything you can, while you hiijack people's threads to try to prove them wrong.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't use MYID but I give applause to them as they are one of only a few places around to auction off .ca domains. Sure there will be bugs in the system and shortcomings in the process but hats off to them. Nothing is perfect. I'm sure in the coming months and years there will be other auction houses in the fray. And remember, people that matter don't mind AND people that mind don't matter...

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of coincidences happening here...

Lesbian.ca went up today to $19000 while Single.ca went up to $29000

They both increased $500. Both were first pushed $3,500 above their starting prices on day one of the auction. Lesbian.ca $28,500 and Single.ca $18,500. Starting prices were $25,000 and $15,000 respectively.

Sorry for the harsh facts...but i will remain to think something is sketchy here.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just got this email... from MyId

Lesbian.ca just became the first major sale of the fifth MyID.ca DOT CA auction after meeting its reserve. Current bid stands at $20k with 40 more hours to go.

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think this is great!!! Without the MYid auction, these domains would not be selling at such great prices, and this is great PR for the Dot Ca domain space. We are all winners when these kinds of domains sell for such great prices.
Congrats to Gus and the gang :)

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whatever they are doing is working. If some of those domains hit reserve I'll have Gus sell snow to the Inuit. :eek:k:

lionfish

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TheInvestor:

I have answered your oil comment in its thread. This is a thread about .ca auction and my point was that we should make sure we do not adversely affect the chances of sellers that have domains listed in the auction by making unsubstantiated claims. Oil prices are not relevant to this discussion.

Namefox:

And remember, people that matter don't mind AND people that mind don't matter
Thanks so much for sharing

Awesome quote and my favorite now. How true. How very very true. It's amazing how those (and this is not directed against you TheInvestor since you stated you are bidding and I have no reason to think this is not the case) that cannot participate in the auction for one reason or another (Maybe they cannot pass the authentication process, are banned, or simply do not have domains that qualify for listing ) come here and try to sabotage other sellers chances of landing a sale. Really Not kosher.

Kamloops:

We should be supporting each other. Many of the names here are owned my fellow domainers and members here.
I wholeheartedly agree with you and wish you and all other sellers success in landing sales. Just keep in mind:

people that matter don't mind AND people that mind don't matter
QueenMother:

We are all winners when these kinds of domains sell for such great prices.
That is exactly my point. All .ca domainers benefit from these public sales. Last year, there was next to no data reported about .ca sales. MyID has contributed significantly to change all that. At least today, we have a relatively large number of public sales that we can refer to whenever a buyer comes knocking. This mostly confers legitimacy and I have noted sellers already aware of these public sales when they contact me for a domain I have. These auctions have energized the .ca aftermarket and we all stand to benefit.

Whitebark

Whatever they are doing is working. If some of those domains hit reserve I'll have Gus sell snow to the Inuit.

LOL. LOL.

Lesbian.ca just became the first major sale of the fifth MyID.ca DOT CA auction after meeting its reserve
Fantastic news in this financial turmoil the world is currently going through. IMHO, this domain remains a bargain at this price and may very well go further up. But again zz.ca met its reserve few days before first auction end and final price was slightly higher.

At this time there are 4 domains that met their reserve:

Natalie.ca $475
GraduationGifts.ca $2501
SecretRecipes.ca: $1250
Lesbian.ca: $20,000

We are entering the final day of the auction. We'll see what happens till then and then during the 'Post Auction Offers'. Anyone knows how long the PAO period will last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators