Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Newbie Q: Do people actually buy domains on DNForum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValeriaDomainer

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi there, sorry for my skeptical question, but I came through selling and appraisal sections and I noticed that most posts don't get replies...

Is there any reason for that, and is it possible to actually appraise/sell domains on dnf?

I came across other domain forums, and there weren't many bidders in the selling section either, but since DNF charges for memberships, I was hoping to see more pro-resellers here.. hope that would be the case :)

oh and would you recommend to list domains individually or create one thread for all my domains?
Thanks)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

yes, there is plenty of activity, but good names sell fast

and many sales occur via pm, as some buyers don't want to tip off others

i would advise you to make a list, rather than posting single names all over the forum

cuz we don't like spammers

Good Luck!
:)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you get no response, then most people are most likely to not think very much of the name. Therefore, no interest in buying.

Yes people buy. Yes people sell.

If you don't sell something, then does that mean its a bad forum? No. It means that people are not interested in the name, at this time, at this present moment.

At the same time, the flip side to that is...if you do not purchase a name on the forum, does that mean you're a bad member?

The same people that you are pointing fingers at for not appraising and not buying are the same people that will be wondering why you are not buying their names. Naturally, you are not going to buy or bid on a domain you do not like - paid membership or not.

Just keep an open mind and view it from both sides of the spectrum --- selling vs. buying, giving appraisals vs. asking for an appraisal, sale or no sale.

ValeriaDomainer

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you get no response, then most people are most likely to not think very much of the name. Therefore, no interest in buying.

Yes people buy. Yes people sell.

If you don't sell something, then does that mean its a bad forum? No. It means that people are not interested in the name, at this time, at this present moment.

At the same time, the flip side to that is...if you do not purchase a name on the forum, does that mean you're a bad member?

The same people that you are pointing fingers at for not appraising and not buying are the same people that will be wondering why you are not buying their names. Naturally, you are not going to buy or bid on a domain you do not like - paid membership or not.

Just keep an open mind and view it from both sides of the spectrum --- selling vs. buying, giving appraisals vs. asking for an appraisal, sale or no sale.

I'm sorry if you felt like I'm trying to judge ppl here for not buying domains they don't need, the reason I asked this question is not because I wasn't able to sell my domains here, I haven't even listed non of them yet.

The thing is that I had a bad experience with other domain forums, where ppl sometimes made compliments on domains (not only mine) but they never actually bid on them... So the first intention after registering was to see if things work differently here...

Anyways, I'll go ahead and list my domains and see if anyone would like to get involved =)

Thanks for your time!

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have bought and sold names on this forum, please note; quality, demand, the right person at the right time all play an important part in selling. There are resellers, investors and endusers on this forum - prices are adjusted according to who you are selling too.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The thing is that I had a bad experience with other domain forums, where ppl sometimes made compliments on domains (not only mine) but they never actually bid on them... So the first intention after registering was to see if things work differently here...

it's always possible that members will compliment your domain or give high appraisal when asked for, but a good appraisal doesn't necessarily mean it will sale or that you will get an offer.

it's just an opinion, not an offer

then too, you could get bad appraisal and then sell the domain later.

cuz we don't always know what we're talking about

:)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I may see value in a domain of yours, I might even it likely that an end user will purchase the domain one day, but that doesn't mean I want to buy it, especially if I have no immediate use for the domain.
Even when I buy domains for resale, I prefer to buy domains that I know I can develop if they won't sell.

But resellers already have inflated portfolios. Everybody wants to sell, you know :)
That's the problem, not enough buyers while the supply is enormous.

ValeriaDomainer

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I may see value in a domain of yours, I might even it likely that an end user will purchase the domain one day, but that doesn't mean I want to buy it, especially if I have no immediate use for the domain.
Even when I buy domains for resale, I prefer to buy domains that I know I can develop if they won't sell.

But resellers already have inflated portfolios. Everybody wants to sell, you know :)
That's the problem, not enough buyers while the supply is enormous.

I see... there's a general rule for all businesses: When there is no high demand in supply, people most likely will pay for an exceptional offer.
So I guess it's time to focus on quality now, more than ever... I believe that's the only way to make real money in domain flipping these days. "Easy" times are gone :rolleyes:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if you felt like I'm trying to judge ppl here for not buying domains they don't need, the reason I asked this question is not because I wasn't able to sell my domains here, I haven't even listed non of them yet.

Anyways, I'll go ahead and list my domains and see if anyone would like to get involved =)

Thanks for your time!
Not implying one bit that I was judging (or you were judging). Simply stating matters in a "matter of fact" manner. And sorry you took it any differently.

Inaction (or inactivity) is a pretty good sign that there is no (or minimal) interest.

If I tell a friend of mine that I love his '57 Chevy convertible that does not mean I want to buy it for $80,000.00 (might even be more now) nor should he expect that I buy it. It simply means I love the car, wish I had one, but would possibly like to look around and see if I can find one a little cheaper. Or, I could be kicking myself for not buying it when they were selling in the 40-50K range.

As for other forums, yeah...there does seem to be one that is borderline mutual admiration society where everyone is telling each other what a great name it is and it is worth xxxx and no one is buying on the forum...at all. You can keep patting each other on the back but at some point your hands and your back are going to become bruised.

Mostly, as biggie pointed out - there is an awful lot of activity on and off the forum and in the forum as PM's. Yes, I have sold many names and purchased many names in this manner. My business is my business and no one else's and I typically like to keep it this way. There have been many names posted for sale that I felt were a tad too much and contacted the seller and we were able to arrive at a number both of us could live with. And I have sold many names in this manner. Actually, most of my largest sales on the forum have been via PM. I suppose many members like to conceal their tracks from everyone else.

If I post a name and it does not sell, I'm not offended. And if people make offers that I turn down, I certainly hope they are not offended. Nor am I offended when someone turns down my offer.

That is where I was encouraging you to be in the mindset of both buyer and seller.

PKumar

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are two things mainly for selling domain names here..... the first thing is quality of your domain, quality domain sells anywhere..

Other thing is your reputation in the forum, if you are new to this forum and you are selling domain name, buyers are suspicious in regards to scam...

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are two things mainly for selling domain names here..... the first thing is quality of your domain, quality domain sells anywhere..

Other thing is your reputation in the forum, if you are new to this forum and you are selling domain name, buyers are suspicious in regards to scam...

If I buy from someone with low rep, I will insist on a push before money is exchanged.

Learned my lesson from a small $180 hit on this forum.

If no push first, no deal.

DanB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The problem here is that many people ask for end user prices, and as far as I know, there isn't many end users here. I see ridiculous prices being asked here, that even an end user would not pay, let alone a domainer that is looking for a ROI on the domain he is buying. If you want to sell here, be realistic when it comes to your asking price, or don't sell here and contact end users instead.

ValeriaDomainer

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem here is that many people ask for end user prices, and as far as I know, there isn't many end users here. I see ridiculous prices being asked here, that even an end user would not pay, let alone a domainer that is looking for a ROI on the domain he is buying. If you want to sell here, be realistic when it comes to your asking price, or don't sell here and contact end users instead.

fair enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom