Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

numbers that spell words

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunja

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
eg "466453" spells "google" on the mobile keypad, which is why 466453.com takes you to google.com

Do you think there is value in numeric domains that spell highly premium (one domain I'm thinking of sold recently for $millions in it's text form) words spelt in numbers on a mobile keypad either as .mobi or as .com?

thanks for reading.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that although numbers are a universal language in that the same number represents the same amount (in a numerical sense) that they DO NOT spell nor have the same meaning when representing words, as you mention.

Think Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hindi etc. Plus, many of the new phones do not have English (Roman) alphabet but rather native script.

It is worth consideration and I have a few that are like this but there is not a great market for them...perhaps there will be.

sunja

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your sharing your experience.
I personally don't think there's much future potential for them - by the time mobile internet gets truly popular, we'll all have qwerty keyboards. But it's not about what I think it's worth, it what the buyer thinks..

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
eg "466453" spells "google" on the mobile keypad, which is why 466453.com takes you to google.com

Do you think there is value in numeric domains that spell highly premium (one domain I'm thinking of sold recently for $millions in it's text form) words spelt in numbers on a mobile keypad either as .mobi or as .com?

thanks for reading.

There are many of us that believe that numeric domains have significant upside potential. Many of the most well-known (and not so well-known) domainers have numeric domains as part of their portfolios.

Even with the growth of qwerty keyboards, voice recognition systems and a host of other technologies, numeric domains are unique, universal and have several potential uses. Some of the world's most popular websites use pure numeric domains for their businesses. For example:

888.com
3776.com
163.com
56.com, any hundreds of others.

It will be interesting to see how well the 7 numeric domains in the DOMAINfest/Snapnames auctions fare.

If you want more insights into numeric domains, check out the link below in my signature.

Cheers,

sunja

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks for that, I'm reading your page now.
what do you think about longer (eg 8 character) numeric domains (nnnnnnnn.com) *if* they "spell" something great in txtmsg style?

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for that, I'm reading your page now.
what do you think about longer (eg 8 character) numeric domains (nnnnnnnn.com) *if* they "spell" something great in txtmsg style?

The preference is for domains with 7 digits or less. 7 digits correspond with North American telephone numbers and are not that difficult to memorize. Any higher and it can become unwieldy.

DomainName

Live, Eat, Breathe Names
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The preference is for domains with 7 digits or less. 7 digits correspond with North American telephone numbers and are not that difficult to memorize. Any higher and it can become unwieldy.

How are the returns with 6-7 numbers? I've seen large zip-codes and area codes sell for a good amount, but not phone #s

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How are the returns with 6-7 numbers? I've seen large zip-codes and area codes sell for a good amount, but not phone #s

I'm not talking about telephone numbers per se. I'm talking about what those numbers can represent when they correspond to letters on cell phones. For example 6977223.com could be a telephone number. It could also be the numeric equivalent of the word MySpace.

The largest single transaction I was involved with was a private 6-digit numeric domain sale at $150k.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the next wave is numerical combos, like

4-8-8-4-8-4-8-6-8-4-1-4-4-1-4

which plays "Strangers in the Night" on all touch tone phones.

What do you think?

Yes, I'm joking...

accent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the next wave is numerical combos, like

4-8-8-4-8-4-8-6-8-4-1-4-4-1-4

which plays "Strangers in the Night" on all touch tone phones.

What do you think?

Yes, I'm joking...
I am not - if your phone number has a pleasant melody will not people be more likely to call it? So much money is spent to create a favorable impression through media advertising that has a relatively minor impact on someone's attention. When you dial a number you are paying attention.

Oh, sorry - that does not creat billable ad agency hours so of course it is a worthless idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom