Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

One word domain

Dan73

Level 2
Reaction score
Hi
I found a word which is a available for registering it. But its quite industry-specified. Is it recommended registering one word domain anyway, no matter how wanted it is?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there are many one word names that go unsold. that get renewed year after year

and after bout ten years,
you see em for sale >>>>> "aged one word, premium dictionary domain" now in auction starting at $1

so, it all depends on the actual word

imo....

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would say the extension also matters a lot.. Outside of .com only the most premium terms are worth anything unless they match specifically to the extension itself.

DMaN

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Learned this lesson the hard way, but really have to ask yourself if there is economic value to the name, eg: Will someone need the name to sale, promote, or otherwise have information on the term?

You obviously cannot always predict this with certain accuracy, but it's a good place to start.

With it being a .com, I'd be more inclined to take a chance. If it's another gTLD or ccTLD, it would depend and chances would likely quickly decrease.

Dan73

Level 2
Reaction score
The word is leachates. The plural of leachate. In my field of work Leachate is a word from the environment industry, meaning evaluating the risk to the environment of leaching hazardous materials from waste landfills. In usa alone a lot of companies deal in such area. So my thought was using this domain as a keyword for redirecting to one's existing website. Plus, the word leachate is already a website name of a comany.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And who do you see using this?

To me its completely worthless to anyone other than the company you are paying renewals to.

Dan73

Level 2
Reaction score
I see using it one of the many companies which give environmental services. Not as their website name, but as a domain which redirect from it to the existing company site. Environmental protection is a very hot issue on the news in the past yrs

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont know the term and if I google it the top 3 results are all explanations of what the term means. To me this indicates this is not a widely used term and as such would not carry any branding benefits. Ask 10 people to spell that and see how many came through..

Dan73

Level 2
Reaction score
You are right. Its not brandable. Thank you all for your valuable opinions.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if nobody uses terms like those in general context, then it is unlikely it will be used as a "key word", that is associated or searched to find further info about a subject.

so, it won't have any value to services therein.

logically speaking-

imo…..

Dan73

Level 2
Reaction score
Are there any thumb rules which are used to find the best domain to be used only as a keyword for redirecting to existing site?
I assume it does not need to be easy for spell or brandable.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom