Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.org or .net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

princehull

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was just wondering which one is better and will have better value down the road.
thanks

Hurley4540

Hurley4540.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IMO:

It all depends on the domain.

For example:

GreenHost would be much better with .org.

and

DomainNetwork would be better in .net.

It all depends really.

I personally like both. If you have a domain that's available , take both extensions.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I prefer .org :)

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Really depends on term

...but I personally think .org is now second best, my sales reflect that as well.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I prefer sex.org over healthysex.net

No kidding!!

Really depends on term

...but I personally think .org is now second best, my sales reflect that as well.

Yes and, for the appropriate terms, .org says something. .net says that I couldn't get the .com but I didn't have to settle for .biz either! There really isn't a whole lot of use for .net for its original purpose as there are only so many true users to be identified as a network (ISP) and most of them actually use the .com extension. There are plenty of true .org users.

Bravo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.org was one of the original top-level domains, established in January 1985, originally intended for use by organizations that did not meet the requirements for other gTLDs.

.net is one of the original top-level domains created in January 1985. It was initially intended to be used only for the computers of network providers (such as Internet service providers). However, there are no formal restrictions on who can register a .net domain name. Therefore, while still popular with network operators, it is often treated as a second .com.

No doubt, I prefer DOT NET. :yes:

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have had more success with .org - both in traffic and sales.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have had more success with .net - both in traffic and sales

TooManyDomains

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.net is so recognizable that I like it for branding just about any generic domain name

If the domain could be used commercially I prefer .org

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well said. Plus, Wikipedia, craigslist, the United Nations (un.org), MoveOn.org, there are many high-profile .org's. I personally never hear of .net actually being used. You always feel embarrassed it's not the .com.

Yes and, for the appropriate terms, .org says something. .net says that I couldn't get the .com but I didn't have to settle for .biz either! There really isn't a whole lot of use for .net for its original purpose as there are only so many true users to be identified as a network (ISP) and most of them actually use the .com extension. There are plenty of true .org users.

allanh

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I like .net more than .org, unless it's a non-profitable organisation (which is what .org is intended for). It is actually quite strange to see a commercial company using a .org domain.

A lot of companies use .net as their official website, with crosswinds.net comes across the mind

zuriko

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I prefer .pro!!!) but if NET or ORG , I prefer .org because its independent TLD and .net its like .com-s youg sister!!))

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Never heard of "crosswinds". Is that your best example of a .net?

I would add that it's always dangerous to have a .net (or even a .org) without the .com. For example, the government of Gabon has their official Web site at www.LeGabon.org. They chose that name even though www.LeGabon.com was already a Web site critical of the Gabonese dictator. Stupid, huh?

I like .net more than .org, unless it's a non-profitable organisation (which is what .org is intended for). It is actually quite strange to see a commercial company using a .org domain.

A lot of companies use .net as their official website, with crosswinds.net comes across the mind

allanh

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
just because you haven't heard of Crosswinds, it doesn't mean it's not a big company. I suggest you do a google search

shenron

Motorward.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It pretty much depends on name...

I have a few names that look better on .org , even though I prefer .Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom