Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.org or .net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

princehull

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks all. I've enjoyed reading all your opinions. I decided to just go ahead and reg both the .net and .org of the names i was considering.......SolarPowerGenerators and ForexGains

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would add that it's always dangerous to have a .net (or even a .org) without the .com. For example, the government of Gabon has their official Web site at www.LeGabon.org. They chose that name even though www.LeGabon.com was already a Web site critical of the Gabonese dictator. Stupid, huh?

Really this has nothing to do with whether the dominant term is a .com of something else. While we all love .com it is not so omnipotent that a domain with good content and even with a downright unloved extension can't be dominant. I have seen cases where .biz or even .ws is the primary site for something. Often the .com is simply sitting parked or is forwarded to a questionably related site (our primary metro city .com points to a costume jewelry seller!).

The .com version almost always has the type in advantage but I suspect that most sites are found via search engines. In one case, I saw a US city (sorry, I don't remember the city!) of about 40K where the .biz was the primary city directory site. I doubt that this causes the users or the site owner much problem. The .com version of the name would probably have a real problem going up against this site unless they put forth one heck of an effort. The hard part is designing a popular site. The (relatively) easy part is owning a useful domain. Owning the .COM name is highly desirable but not imperative for most uses (heresy!! - sorry.).

As to 'LeGabon', I do believe that that is actually the name of the country. Both sites will be found by users and if the government didn't use the .org, the .com would be found anyway. When you Google 'LeGabon' or 'Le Gabon' you see plenty about the .org and nothing about the .com. Ideally I'd own both names but in today's world, you're arguably lucky to get even the .biz or .ws term if you're taking about a very popular term even if you run a 14th. world country. I'd have thought that they would have actually used their country code extension although they may not have their act together enough to do that!

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I gave several examples - the United Nations, Craigslist, Wikipedia - of entities that use .org, and EVERYONE that is not in a coma has heard of these.

Instead of justifying your one example of a .net, can you give me just one example the average person has heard of?

By the way, I just checked out the Web site you gave as your one example... pretty sad.

just because you haven't heard of Crosswinds, it doesn't mean it's not a big company. I suggest you do a google search

Bravo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My two .NET domains are scheduled for upcoming GreatDomains auction. I almost sure they would not accept the same names with .ORG tld.

allanh

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I gave several examples - the United Nations, Craigslist, Wikipedia - of entities that use .org, and EVERYONE that is not in a coma has heard of these.

Instead of justifying your one example of a .net, can you give me just one example the average person has heard of?

By the way, I just checked out the Web site you gave as your one example... pretty sad.

I am really not interested in getting into a debate with you or trying to convince you of anything.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. :rolleyes:

I can come up with a lot more examples of large websites with .net as their main page. I don't see how you can classify yourself as an "average" person- perhaps a subjective opinion? Crosswinds is a huge player in webhosting community and has been around since 1997.

lucubrator

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have to admit, that couldn't remember many .NET-sites
immediately. Althought I've used to think that .NET
would be better than .ORG.

A few famous .NET sites I recalled immediately myself:

sourceforge.net (large open source / application site)
php.net (you all know this one)

Also many others seem to be somewhat computer related
as well. It's kind of weird, since I don't see myself anything
which would prevent .NET to have it's very own role and
not looking stupid without owning also .COM. :uhoh:

ZeRohiLL

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To me, it depends on the use of the name.

-Zh

DNBA

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i believe the name matters as well. personally i dont know why more social networks dont use .net. it makes total sense to me. As for .org ive been interested in finding foods domains that have .org (for organic) so it all depends on the name. Also the .green market may be a phase like in the 80's when we were all trying to save Africa with "we are the world" campaign.

Etab

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Certain groups purposely register .orgs because they have an air of being reputable. Anyone that registers a .net today is doing so because the .com was taken.

Jokez Guy

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I personally prefer .net, never really ever owned a .org name before

Jacqueline

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the domain. I find that some do better with .net and some with .org. If it sounds like a for-profit company, then .net is likely to do better. If it sounds like a public or not-for-profit organization, then .org can be better. If it is a how-to site, how-to for a tech topic is likely to do better with .net, and how-to train your dog might do better with .org.

If both are available, you may want to get both and see how they do. I have some domains where I have both and one month the .net does better and the next month the .org wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators