Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.org type-in traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Type-ins definitely aren't unique to .COM.

I'm fairly sure certain terms with .org get type-in traffic and I know for a fact many ccTLDs do.

- Rob

Domain Summit 2024

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm amazed how someone can not even understand that to germans .de is what .fr is to french people is what .com is for US people.

And although slashdot.org might could be labelled targetted traffic it STILL is typein traffic at the same time whenever someone types in the domain manually into the address bar and hits return.

Not rocket science really. :)

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Defining the "reason" someone types in a domain in any extension does not define the term "type-in traffic" , if they type it in for any reason then its simply that , a "type-in" visitor.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I'm amazed how someone can not even understand that to germans .de is what .fr is to french people is what .com is for US people.

And although slashdot.org might could be labelled targetted traffic it STILL is typein traffic at the same time whenever someone types in the domain manually into the address bar and hits return.

Not rocket science really. :)

COM is universal, be glad it was there since day #1 or else your deutche domains would be worthless.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Defining the "reason" someone types in a domain in any extension does not define the term "type-in traffic" , if they type it in for any reason then its simply that , a "type-in" visitor.

If we follow your logic, search engine bots that end up on non-COM domains are also type-in traffic because they ended up on the URL fron a non-link.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a few generic one word .org's and there is no question they get type in traffic...I have had them for over 7 years and have never done anything with them to drive traffic. Most of them get between 30-170 type in's a month...

Obviously this is nothing compared to .com.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If we follow your logic, search engine bots that end up on non-COM domains are also type-in traffic because they ended up on the URL fron a non-link.

have to disagree with that, as I said "someone types in" the domain., a someone can't be a bot., I know your going to come back with someone had to create the bot , but we both know what I mean.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I have a few generic one word .org's and there is no question they get type in traffic...I have had them for over 7 years and have never done anything with them to drive traffic. Most of them get between 30-170 type in's a month...

Obviously this is nothing compared to .com.

Unless you post syslogs showing that the traffic is non-referrer, non-search engine nor bots, I will say that it's all of the above.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unless you post syslogs showing that the traffic is non-referrer, non-search engine nor bots, I will say that it's all of the above.

I can type the names into google with extention and have no links to them. and there are no incoming links according to urltrends.com...it is type in traffic....not much, but type in traffic.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
That's no valid proof the traffic is type-ins. It could be search engine bots. An access log would clarify things.

We can argue all day long.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have them up on sedo...I will look to see if I can get a log...

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sedo only lets me know the country origin of the traffic....

seoproz

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if the traffic is browser typeins, but I recently bought a oneword.org domain and it's getting 25-30 uniques per day parked so far.

This domain does have backlinks, but I don't have a way to track the traffic to see if it is coming from the backlinked sites or straight typeins.

Bookworm SEO

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow, talk about starting a popular thread! This is only a few hours old. Thanks for all the answers everyone.
So I see now that .ORGs do get type-ins, or ordinary traffic, if you want to debate what the definition of type-in traffic is.
Next question for you Pros: is OVT a good predictor of type-in traffic? If so, can you suggest a minimum number of searches to look for, in order to expect type-ins? For example, do you want 500+ searches/month? 1000? 2000?

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.org has some minor natural type-in traffic where it is in compliance with the extension.
People are trying to find organisations or institutions there, also it is often mistaken with .gov,
examples:
government.org OVT 207 (usgovernment.org OVT 111)
unclaimedmoney.org OVT 182
food.org OVT 50
Etc.

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.orgs absolutely can get type in traffic. I'm really perplexed that acro would argue so hard against it. Like someone said, there are certain things that people will assume live on a .org rather than a .com. Hospitals, municipalities, non-profit type things. If someone types it in directly rather thinking something is there I would venture to guess that is type-in traffic.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It doesn't even matter what that someone was thinking.

As long as it's typed into the browser address bar, it's typein traffic, no matter what.

As already mentioned - there are a lot of typo .com's that get tons of traffic by people mistyping the domain that they were actually thinking of.

Now, although they were indeed thinking of the properly spelled version , their traffic nevertheless still is nothing but pure typein traffic.

Or would anyone argue for real a typo domain that has say 1000 uniques/months from mistypes is not getting type-in traffic ?!

Same goes for .org or any other extension for that matter - as long as the domain is typed in, it's typein traffic; it's totally irrelevant to the question of traffic being typein or not if these people were actually looking for the .com version, if they just typed it in to see if there is any content, if they typed it in by mistake or willingly etc etc or not.

Here is the secret formula:

Typed in = Typein

But don't tell anyone....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom