Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

closed Overture

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree.
There is a difference between a search and a type-in. If they were looking for Surrey houses for example they might search for "surrey houses for sale" but for a type-in they are more likely to try surreyhouses.com (or .co.uk).

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't agree.
Of all interested in "Surrey Houses" only 3% would try direct
type-in.
97% of first time traffic comes through SE and links combined.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree with you options, but I don't believe that the domain name helps with search engine placement any more. There have been too many domains bought just to grab surfers from a niche and route them to a general site.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thedirty..heres the skinny..

Goto's inventory search shows how many searches were done on a particular key- word or phrase the previous month at oveture.

It is an important TOOL in helping you determine if there is a MARKET for what ever product or service you are interested in and a chance to profit from that..

Using the keyword "baseball" for example..you see their were 271,000 search's using the keyword "Baseball" ..so you see that baseball is indeed a popular market..now you dont need overture to tell the word "baseball" gets hits from people actually typeing "basball.com" in the URL address bar ..correct..

It simply is used to show you that Baseball or whatever is a viable market or not.

now to profit off that..you already understand the domain "Baseball.com" baseball.net, baseball.Us etc are long gone..and to just have a nonsensical domain like "myfavoritebaseballstuff.com " is to long, to general and no specific enough to worth while as a domain to resale or worth the time ,energy or money to build into something worthwhile.

So go back to :http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

and type in "Baseball" again ..see all the other baseball searchs 134585 fantasy baseball
44165 major league baseball
41284 baseball card
19689 baseball bat
18029 yahoo fantasy baseball
17009 baseball history
15115 equipment used for baseball
14900 baseball score
14665 espn baseball
14015 baseball hall of fame
11926 baseball gloves
11450 baseball cap
11221 baseball picture
10388 angel baseball
9942 minor league baseball
7972 baseball strike
7928 fantasy baseball
7921 baseball hat
7913 baseball stats
7900 baseball card price
etc..

Find what you are interested in . say Baseball Caps ..you see that their is a market for baseball caps..and common sense tells their should be.correct? so that would make an excellent domain if available... for a number of reasons.. for one thing when you submit your domain to be added to directories like DMOZ and such..the editors appreciate the fact that your domain reflects your website and vice versa.. some search engines algorithims also search the domain name for the keywords "baseballcaps"

Many other variables of course but always do your best to have your doamin reflect your product /service

The most important thing to remeber is all those different searchs you see are actual words and phrases people are using inthe search..

chances are all things considered ..

no one is searching "myfavoritebaseballstuff.com "

but they are searching for "Baseball Cap"

BTW..BaseballCap.US is available..the plural is better but still a nice keyword domain..

Some people claim that by typing in a word with the extension as in Baseball.com at overture can reflect the actual number of people actually typ-ing a word in the URL..(true type-in) to some degree that can be used as a rough measure.."baseball.com for example shows that AT oveture last month over 6,000 idiots actually "searched" for baseball.com at oveture instead of directly in their URL address bar) the problem with that is it can EASILY be abused..

hers how take "myfavoritebaseballstuff.com " do to http://www.overture.com/ and act like you are searching for "myfavoritebaseballstuff.com " 100 times..typ in in ovetures search box..100 times..

then next month go back to :

http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

and you will see " myfavoritebaseballstuff.com " had 100 search's..wow that must be a great name ..! :laugh: so beware and use common sense...

so you think you found a great widget domain..then one of your first stops should be at http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion just to see if anyone even wants that widget..is there a market..?

T

thedirty13

Thanks everyone, specifically bidawinner.

One other quick question though. As I understand it, search engines don't just use url to find a site. Seems to me unless you have a site name that someone would definitely type in exactly as you've registered it, you're probably just as well off getting a close name and mentioning the topic alot on the site itself including the headline.

I'm totally new to all of this, does what I just said make any sense?

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh absolutely..the domain name is only one small part..your web site ..the keyword density, no spam etc.. are much more important..

If all you do is throw banners up..forget it..you'll never get ranking and you'll never get traffic..

You need to have your site be relevant to whatever it is you are selling or information you want to share..

The domain name is only one variable..

thats the reason you see everyone searching for the exclusive "keyopwrd" domains.. you have a domain that people actually type in their URL address bar everyday.. then the more traffic that comes in that way the less you have to worry about rasnking in the engines!

BUt thats an entirely differnt game..thats why I why I saying beware because people can CLAIM to have a domain with type-ins ..and it may not necessairrly be so.. or maybe it is..

You see dvdplays.com thread..well thats debatable about how much actual type-ins it gets but everyone understands it does indeed get traffic from people typing in dvdplayers.com in their URL bar...it dosent need a search engine for traffic.

jag5311

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why is it on that same search suggestion tool, Overture doesn't have any listings for the term GAMES, it only will show GAME

I don't understand.

Like, i typed in verizon, and it had alot, like 440 thousand

but when i type in verizon games
it comes up with like 126., but it shows verizon game instead of games.

just wondering.
bryan

A

alaneads

Overture is two things. To the average internet user, its a search engine. To the webmaster, its a pay per click search engine that can get you an easy ranking by paying a small amount per click.

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is not only their site.

"When you advertise in Overture Premium Listingsâ„¢, your business appears in the top U.S. search sites:2 Yahoo!, MSN, InfoSpace, Lycos, AltaVista, and Netscape. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom