• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Part-timers, balance between domains & 'real' job

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
150
How do you find balance between your day job and time to do domaining and web business? For the part-timers out there. Do you just steal hours at night at home, and do some at work? It's a tough balance.
 
Do you just steal hours at night at home, and do some at work? It's a tough balance.
No time for sleep in this industry... :sleep: :nono:
 
night time is when i work on this,
the problem is that the temperature is raising and the clubs are opening :D
 
I am at work right now. I am up all hours of the day and night.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not live on this forum.

But it is a wonderful distraction from the work that I do and I am doing my best to teach others about domaining (those that I work with).

There is no set time or rhythm for me. It is what ever time I can devote or break away from other matters.

night time is when i work on this,
the problem is that the temperature is raising and the clubs are opening :D
Oh no, sounds like more ouzo will be flowing.
 
I use to come on DNF at work, now I quit my job and do domains full-time..live is good.
 
Rock..do you live off PPC revenue or just buy and sell domains? or is it a combination of both. I would love for this to be my full time income, but that has not happened yet unfortunately.
 
I use to come on DNF at work, now I quit my job and do domains full-time..live is good.

congrats on the milestone and the chance to experience "financial freedom"!



I do most domaining while at work. as ideas are fresher in the morning :)
just haven't made the jump yet like Rockefeller


usually I will have at least 4 or 5 screens open to the net...1 always on dnf and 1 on ovt and another on my "secret search list".



the other 2 screens are work related...




in the evening I can relax and browse leisurely or not. ;)
 
I couldn't keep the balance between my original job (teaching English in the Peruvian Jungle) and domains and gradually gave up my old job.
 
My wife hates it...I'm on the net domaining every free moment I have.

I'm at the point where my domains easily pay for themselves and I reinvest the rest in aftermarket and dropping names. Not at the point where I can do this full time, but getting closer.
 
Geez my wife hates it too. Unfortunately the last couple of months since our second child, my son, was born I have to help out around the house a lot. But I have a lot of time since I do not work right now so I am trying to clear out my portfolio and start focusing on quality domains instead of quantity. I will be going back to school for the next year and a half and during that time I will not be working and mainly doing domains. After school, I am hoping to land a job in my new career of firefighting and on my 24 on 48 off I will do domains :-)

I have a dual 22in LCD screens, the left with my email and DNF, and the right with my domain list, DRT, and several other domaining tools. Not to mention I have multiple IE7 windows open each having several tabs open.
 
My wife did hate it at one point..until I reminded her that this is what puts food on the table. When I was at work I would have one box for work and the other 10 for domains..lol. Its been a long road though, I look back at when I first started domaining..selling domain names on ebay, etc. I was probably paying out more for ebay bills then I was even making. When you rely solely on domaining you have to set aside 3-5 hours a day and think of it as work. This will make you work harder to score good deals, etc.
 
Like DocCom I am up all hours of day/night at work. I have internet access at all times to spend time on my other business - domain investments!
 
Being in the military, I work, probably 11-12 hrs a day at work and another 5-6 at home 'domaining' or whatever you want to call it.

I've got 4 years until I retire though and I cannot wait. Not sure what I wantto do though but I'd like to find a 10-4 (Work 10 hrs a day, 4 days a week, with 3 days off).

That would be perfect.
 
When I was at work I would have one box for work and the other 10 for domains..lol.

That's funny...But also kind of true for me.

The thing that kills me is I got my first domains in 1998 and 1999 and accumulated about 20-30 domains between then and 2001...did not really get back into domains until 2005...

Had I kept doing it the whole time...I have little doubt this would be my primary business. Actually the main reason I cannot rely on this as my main source of income is because I am constantly re-investing in names, servers, development etc...
 
Most of the my work is done at night...I usually stay up late researching domains. During the day, I just logon to DNF a few times to catch up.

I'm studying medicine at the moment and my first priority is to become a doctor, I don't think I will ever quit my job for domains, no matter how much I make. My goal is to build a stable revenue online, so that I will not have to rely on my job for income. I don't want to be a doctor for the money. Thank god, I think I'm doing good so far
 
up till 2 am every nite...:)..10 screens open during the day at work....wife thinks i'm nuts.....trying to mange/optimize 30+ developed sites right now....not even really concentrating on my parked sites....which i should i guess...because they not making me much$$$....yet neither are my developed sites yet....doing seo all day long.....and still feel like i havent accomplished anything yet.....but i aint no quitter...:)...i love doing this!!...i finally found my calling ....yet i need to make this happen to be able to "retire" like rockefeller....:)
 
My accountant told me to quit my "day job".
I am actually losing money working, and letting LLL get snagged on here(DNForum), and missing out on pool and snap drops.
If I didn't have a dream job and my boss didn't pay half my insurance, I'd concentrate on domaining full time. (10-12 hours a day)
 
working all hours of the day and night. Though I do not live entirely on domaining.

@BobDiGiTaL , liked your sig. :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom