Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

PA's major advertising for .US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. I wonder if the .us registrar slipped them some money to do that!

state.pa.us looks like a throwback to when .us required registrations to be made in state subdomains.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by deist yeah I would prefer they use www.pa.us

PA.US is a registry reserved name, one of many geographical reserved .us names, including city names, US govt & agency names, state names and even abbreviations.

However, interestingly, it seems they forgot to reserve a few big city names ;) though they reserved most all of them, and they even reserved many of the small city suburban names and small towns too. LOL

For example, they forgot to reserve big cities like CityOfCleveland.US and CityOfMiami.US (both still available as of today) but they did reserve small city names like CityOfBoulder.US, CityOfSedona.US and CityOfFlagstaff.US (just a few of zillions of such examples).

P.S. Perhaps the member who asked about Cleveland real estate names could use it as a sub-domain, i.e. RealEstate.CityOfCleveland.US - which I think is a very good name. CityOfCleveland.us may be registered here -

www.3-g.com/domain-registration/reg.htm

deist

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I figured such names were reserved by the registry for the government's use given that the government is already using subdomains of them...

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They do allow city and state combos. I have Tampa-Florida.us.

jalapeno

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. Throwback or not, it will bring a lot more attention to the .us domain, at least in PA....

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pennsylvania has had their .us domain on their license plates since 1999. I have even seen a couple driving around in California.

deist

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the site says it started in 99 and finishes getting on all plates this year. PA plates are riding all across the country, those pesky traveling people!

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They've been using this address on their license plates for several years now, starting well before the recent "relaunching" of .us by Neustar. The address is in the standardized, logically structured scheme for official state government sites, www.state.[abbr].us, and it would be logical and convenient if all 50 states followed that scheme instead of the crazy-quilt of actual names they use. I've featured Pennsylvania on my Domain Name Hall of Fame to congratulate them for using and promoting their logical address instead of a dumb-ass dot-com name like so many other states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener