• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Person's name? (whats the law on it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssanders

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2004
Messages
114
Reaction score
0
I registered a person that I saw on a reality-show, they were not famous at the time, however, now he is pretty famous.

I plan on making it into a fansite, however, my question is, since its his full name in a .net domain, can I be sued? Or is it ok since it was registered before he got really famous.

thx.
 
I'm not a legal expert (I posted my own "Need legal advice" thread a few days ago too). However, I assume if you are profiting off this website you are in the wrong. Profiting off of someones name without their permission can easily land you a lawsuit.
 
If you're going to really make it a fansite, make sure it stays that way with no
hints of commercial use, whatsoever. No Adsense, no PPC, nada.
 
nice edit, but i liked your first post better lol.
 
If it is not your name and you are using a celeb. to make money off of then they can come after you. That was proven many years ago when several celebs and their names were being hijacked to profit from. You will lose unless you have the amount of money and time they do.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom