Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Playboy gets Britney's domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In a recent UDRP case, the publishers of Playboy won a big heap of domain names containing the word "Playboy" or "Playmate", registered by somebody in Australia. Among them were several containing the name "Britney Spears" along with the name "Playboy".

An interesting question is whether Ms. Spears can now sue Playboy or challenge them under the UDRP for those domains, as it would seem that once they are transferred to Playboy, they will be cybersquatting on Britney's name, and arguably tarnishing it by association with an adult magazine (reputed to have unclothed pictures... I wouldn't know, I just read it for the articles... :laugh: ).

But if she did this, and won, then she would be cybersquatting on Playboy's name... is there any way to untangle such a mess, other than to cancel the domain in question (leaving it open for anyone else to register it and start the whole mess again)?

Domain Summit 2024

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If Playboy just holds the domain, to preempt abuse (i.e. no nameservers, not resolving to a website, etc.), they could likely argue that the name isn't being used in bad faith, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom