Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

PM Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I really don't care who it's from, I don't appreciate PM spam from anyone.

Of course today I receive an email from DNForum that says I have a new PM from MediaHound saying he is happy to announce that Bido is open again.

Who cares? Certainly not me.

Members pay hundreds of dollars to join the forums here so "Former DNF Admin's" can spam us?

This user needs to go bye bye along with all their posts for abusing the forum. Their thread is already filling up with users complaining about the spam.

----------------------------------------

Spam Definition
The word "Spam" as applied to Email means Unsolicited Bulk Email ("UBE").

Unsolicited means that the Recipient has not granted verifiable permission for the message to be sent. Bulk means that the message is sent as part of a larger collection of messages, all having substantively identical content.

A message is Spam only if it is both Unsolicited and Bulk.

----------------------------------------

Unsolicited - check
Bulk - check

Spam = yes

Upvote 0

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Find a better way to rise $20.
Sell some domains and don't talk BS.

Carter, what's your email address?

I want to cram some 'good news' up your... oops I mean email you some good news!!

Domain summit 2024

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please be cool guys. We have to wait for Adam to get back with the answer.

No one die yet so that is a good news.
It does not cost anything to say something nice.

Thanks,
John

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is spam simple as that, and if DNF left this happen for money it's not right. But under standable none the less, things are hard all around in domaining. If you can get a pay day you take it, and hope it keeps you going to the next one.

I don't like spam but DNF is the best domaining forum, and if getting one spam PM and email notice. Helps keep it going then so be it, after all not many of us pay much mind to the other ads. May be we need to pay the ads some mind, and help pay to keep this forum going and making it better.

Yes we all paid but come on, DNF have to keep making money to keep it going. I'm going to see if any of the ads, is of anything I would want to check out. And no I will not click a ad just to make them money, but I'll check them out and see if there anything I want to check out though.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't like spam but DNF is the best domaining forum, and if getting one spam PM and email notice. Helps keep it going then so be it, after all not many of us pay much mind to the other ads. May be we need to pay the ads some mind, and help pay to keep this forum going and making it better.

Yes we all paid but come on, DNF have to keep making money to keep it going. I'm going to see if any of the ads, is of anything I would want to check out. And no I will not click a ad just to make them money, but I'll check them out and see if there anything I want to check out though.

Tas, If you do it for one company you need to do for another, Don't you see? Allowing this to happen will set a new precedent, that members can send SPAM so long as they pay... So what if 10, 50 or 100 members do just what MH did, would that be OK?

As far as click ads, I myself find them very useful, I click on them whenever one peaks my interest... I doubt anyone here objects to them in the way their currently displayed.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand what all the anger is about.

This is a domain forum and the PM was about a domaining resource which can be a valuable service for members. In addition Jarred worked very hard and long hrs in helping the board with his administrative moderating and only wanted to get the news released quickly to members, many of whom he knows well.

On the day I got the PM I received more than 5,000 emails with 98% being spams so getting an extra email or pm was insignificant, regardless of what it was about. It would be of great value to everyone if you complained to ISPs and Spamcop about your spam emails as vigorously as you do about this!

fundraiser

** Mr. Blonde **
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

This is a domain forum and the PM was about a domaining resource which can be a valuable service for members. In addition Jarred worked very hard and long hrs in helping the board with his administrative moderating and only wanted to get the news released quickly to members, many of whom he knows well.

On the day I got the PM I received more than 5,000 emails with 98% being spams so getting an extra email or pm was insignificant, regardless of what it was about. It would be of great value to everyone if you complained to ISPs and Spamcop about your spam emails as vigorously as you do about this!

The clear difference is that they are trying to stop spam while DnForum is encouraging and promoting it for a price.

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I appreciate Jarred was a good admin, that is however not the point.
Spam is spam, regardless of who it is from. I didn't ask to receive the message, nor did anyone else. There is a fine line in that if it had been something informative, or useful I would not have cared. In this case however it was advertising a service that I honestly couldn't care less about. It is probably the worst domain related service i have seen in a long time.

hina

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Spam is spam, regardless of who it is from.

Very true. Some people mentioned Jarred was a good admin... OK.

But, in this case, could we please ignore who the sender is, and instead look at what he did?

The information is useful for some people. No doubt about that.

However, for some other people, the "information" is simply spam.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
People post advertisements on DNForum everyday, then they start crying when they receive an advertisement in their PM box once every couple of years.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to say I was a bit surprised when I received that sp - er I mean PM :)
It is not clearly identified as an advertisement, in fact you would think it is actually endorsed by DNF, or is an in-house DNF product.

Now let me remind you there is a checkbox which reads 'Receive Email from Administrators' in your CP.
It is very rare to receive E-mail from the admins so we definitely notice when that option is exercised :)

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tas, If you do it for one company you need to do for another, Don't you see? Allowing this to happen will set a new precedent, that members can send SPAM so long as they pay... So what if 10, 50 or 100 members do just what MH did, would that be OK?

As far as click ads, I myself find them very useful, I click on them whenever one peaks my interest... I doubt anyone here objects to them in the way their currently displayed.

Well said.

In fact I'm working on my DNF spamming script right now! Get ready for 'good news' about my business, delivered to every DNF member's email box with updates every 48 hours! Just waiting for the Admins to say 'yes, we are OK with spamming at DNF' before I fire it up!

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I did not mean to say it was ok, for DNF to spam us just that it's under standable is all.

I took it as from DNF admin PM, and as was said we don't get them very much.

DNF needs to say they are sorry, for the spam and there is no getting out of it now. They need to do that right away, surely they don't want to get on lists for spamming.

I did get a email and if other got gmail like me, and clicked it as spam it could wind up on gmails spam list and others. So it could become a problem for them, they messed up so own up to it and let everyone move on.

hina

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pretty simple actually... Apologize to members who perceive the "information" as spam, and, if such practice is allowed to be continued, provide a checkbox for members to opt-out. Such an easy solution.

Justin Hulsey

Those Damn Hippies
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Me thanks :D
Did you like pizza? :)

Carter, funny you should say that. My real job is managing and marketing for a pizza buffet restaurant. I have been eating pizza probably 5 days a week for the last 6 years, its disgusting how much I "like" pizza.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators