• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Prediction: Google will buy Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2003
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1
I think this is bound to happen, sooner or later. Anyone else think so?

Wikipedia seems to fit so well with Google's mission "to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful" and would make the perfect addition to their network of sites IMO.

- Rob
 
I dont think wikipedia is for sale.
Google could of course afford to buy it.
But I doubt it.
Google has a tendancy to create their own stuff.
Probably a half-assed attempt to create a copy of it maybe.
 
With there outlook of creating a $100 billion company by end of 2006, I wouldn't doubt if they will buy out certain companies. However, I see your point, and I agree, but I don't see it happening.
 
My money would be on Yahoo buying it. They did buy that delicio.us social bookmarking site, and wiki seems to be on the same level of pop internet culture.

Wikipedia may not be for sale, but that's even more of a reason for one of the bigger sites to buy it now before the owners try to sell it publically. Obviously the price could go way higher with several companies bidding on it, and a sale would be much easier behind the scenes.
 
google buys a lot of companies, but as google becomes more and more the new microsoft (as far as the "big, evil company" i doubt the folks at wikipedia would sell to them....
 
Come on guys, for money everything is for sale, even Google themselves.

Reminds me of a joke:

Boy: Will you sleep with me for $1
Girl: No
Boy: Would you sleep with me for 1 billion dollars
Girl: Yes
Boy: Ok so now we are close, we just need to agree on a fair price.

-=DCG=-
 
I dont think they will, i dont see the motivation to buy it.
 
One thing google love is mozilla.
You never know ;)
 
Their main motivation would be plastering the wikipedia's results with context ads. Makes perfect sense to me for them to buy it... or at least try to.


Surprisingly enough, they have already registered "GOOGLEPEDIA.COM" :party:
 
DotComGod said:
Come on guys, for money everything is for sale, even Google themselves.

Reminds me of a joke:

Boy: Will you sleep with me for $1
Girl: No
Boy: Would you sleep with me for 1 billion dollars
Girl: Yes
Boy: Ok so now we are close, we just need to agree on a fair price.

-=DCG=-

So in the end how much do you have to pay. :-)


And I think wiki is ripe for purchase but it could be anyone...yahoo, google, msn, aol, or anyone with a few million to spare.
 
or how about Wiki, buying google.
u never know if google will continue being the leader
 
simon said:
or how about Wiki, buying google.
u never know if google will continue being the leader


I dont see Google dropping anytime soon...
 
neither Wiki droping
wikipedia.de is very widely used here in Germany
 
i am all for it...google/yahoo can go ahead and purchase wiki. more eye balls and opportunities for both publishers and advertisers...everybody wins.. bring it on!
 
labrocca said:
So in the end how much do you have to pay. :-)


And I think wiki is ripe for purchase but it could be anyone...yahoo, google, msn, aol, or anyone with a few million to spare.
I have to agree with my man, labrocca.
 
DotComGod said:
Reminds me of a joke:

Boy: Will you sleep with me for $1
Girl: No
Boy: Would you sleep with me for 1 billion dollars
Girl: Yes
Boy: Ok so now we are close, we just need to agree on a fair price.

-=DCG=-
My favorite part of Dumb & Dumber

Lloyd: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
Lloyd: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom