Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Presidential names

Status
Not open for further replies.

afcassidy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% following this. So let's say someone owned a name like Obama2008.net - would that be safer than having BarackObama.net?

Domain Summit 2024

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not as simple as all that. Is TMZ.com making a fortune off of Britney Spears - why indeed they are.

Can I write a biography of a famous person and sell it? You bet I can.

Politicians have less protection, and for a reason.

Consider:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Geor...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200694989&sr=8-1

This guy is making money simply by quoting things that George W Bush says.

Come on john, we are talking about registering domains of celebrities. Your example is a different subject. The subject at hand celebrities (or perceived) in the domain names.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The subject at hand celebrities (or perceived) in the domain names.

First, celebrities and politicians are not comparable in all respects.

Second, if I am selling recordings of the famous singer XYZ, then I simply do not see a problem with XYZrecordings.com - they are lawful products to sell, and lawful products to advertise.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Just to play devil's advocate, John :D

Would FamousJohnBerryhillQuotes.com be ok to register?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
DNQ, he edited all marks after John's observation.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

He can't take it out of the part where I quoted him, though.

Okay, who's in charge of the lame-*** excuse department this week?

"Um... I was experimenting with my signature format, and accidentally left it in there. And then monkeys flew out of my *** and put them all over my web pages. Took me all weekend to get rid of them."

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This thread is getting me nervous. I have a presidential-candidate.com. No ads up, so I can't be accused of trying to make profits off of it, since we all know it's not for sale!!!

He's waiting for the Florida primaries, got his full first name-lastname.com. In any case decided to keep this secret.

Need some content. If anyone wishes to add some, go ahead.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I know.. did you see the smiley face? :)

Yes, it was edited, I just found it funny.

Brett Lewis

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Brett, your copyright notice is ineffective. I have just patented the method of responding to posts in this thread.

Not so fast John. I invented a time machine and stopped you from filing the patent application. Hope you put that tip about the Giants to good use. ;) Also, sorry about your pants.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I invented a time machine and stopped you from filing the patent application.

A-ha... but I too invented a time machine, and went back before you and obtained a patent for time machines. You now owe me royalties for your time machine.

Fork it over, Brett.

btw, I have kept, since 1992, a copy of US Patent No. 1 in every desk I've used. Every once in a while, I pull it out to see whether anyone has invented a time machine.

(and, for obscure patent trivia... US Pat. No. 1, for a cog railway improvement, is not actually the first US patent. The first patent, for a method of making potash, was not numbered. Numbering was introduced after a few years, when it became apparent there were going to be quite a few of them.)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Someone actually devised a process to give out a patent, thinking that it'd be the only one?

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
McCain paid me for my domain! I sold JohnMccain.net to them after being contacted via his campaign committee.

The name was parked, and I was earning revenue and everything prior to the sale! They didn't really care; great people & a great offer. (Well better then getting C&D I say!)

domain_investor

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for picking up on my initial question that started this thread. If I many, can I ask one final question?

So, I have a name that is [pres last name][VP last name].org (and .us) of a very likely ticket. I am not marketing it on Sedo, Afternic or anywhere else, and the page is not parked. I need to know if I am better off this way, or if it would be better to start an informational site, like showing RSS news feeds for the duo, with no ads and no profit motive--like a supporter site. Or heck, even just a site that says "GO [so and so], I support you in 2008!"?

BTW, RonPaul.com just sold for $25,000 on ebay (link).

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They didn't really care;

Oh, they cared.

It's just that they can't wait around for even a UDRP decision - they need the name now.

Brett Lewis

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A-ha... but I too invented a time machine, and went back before you and obtained a patent for time machines. You now owe me royalties for your time machine.

Fork it over, Brett.

John,

I've tried for several days to find a hole in your argument, and cannot. Consider the check in the mail.

What was this thread about?

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
McCain paid me for my domain! I sold JohnMccain.net to them after being contacted via his campaign committee.

The name was parked, and I was earning revenue and everything prior to the sale! They didn't really care; great people & a great offer. (Well better then getting C&D I say!)

Hmmm, just wondering out loud here...

McCain somehow wins office, I wonder if this experience will facilitate new and tougher legislation against cybersquatters (read: every domainer out there).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom